Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-03-2016, 07:11   #1

Boat: Slocum 43
Longboat Key Pass local/recent knowledge

Looking for local knowledge about the pass at longboat key, Florida. Specifically entering from the gulf.

I've reviewed other sites, charts and active captain but any additional information would be appreciated.

43' sailboat with a 6'2" draft.
Pirate999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 07:47   #2

Boat: O'Day 302
Re: Longboat Key Pass local/recent knowledge

You'll be fine, but that also depends how comfortable you are with just a couple feet below your keel.

Last few times I've been through (most recent was Jan 2016) I saw no less than 8', but to be safe you'll probably want to time it with high tide. The shallow part is out near the "LP" sign.

The sonar chart feature that navionics offers is pretty accurate. You can view it on their website.
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByCruisers Sailing Forum1457966846.144617.jpg
Views:	448
Size:	141.7 KB
ID:	120696
the_alpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 11:58   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

I was there last year and with 5 ft draft advised to not try it by locals.
I think maybe call Seatow and ask them, things may have changed. I am admittedly risk adverse.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 12:43   #4

Boat: Pearson 34-II

Pirate,
If you're talking about Longboat Pass bridge between Bradenton Beach and Longbeach, there is no depth problem at all for 6 feet. We used that pass on a regular basis for months and never had a depth problem. Even the chart shows 17 feet under the bridge. However, the biggest problem is that the width of the bridge opening is very narrow and susceptible to the tide/current. If you are approaching from the west, stay 75 yards from the bridge until the bridge begins to open. From the east, hang out between R "4" and R "6" until it begins opening. The only exception is if the tide/current is against you in which case you can inch a little closer. You'll have plenty of time to make the bridge safely. Also, be certain that there are no power boats attempting to transit at the same time as you may wind up bouncing off the wooden bridge walls or worse. We saw one idiot on a catamaran approaching from the Gulf get caught in an incoming tide and nearly dismast his boat as he waited less than 30 yards from the bridge. I also ran into that same boat returning from the Gulf on another occasion and he rudely passed me in the channel at a close distance and swerved to enter the bridge pass first. I later discovered he was a "Captain" who taught sailing to beginners from a local marina in Maria Sound. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 14-03-2016, 12:55   #5

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

I was there last February. I have five feet below me, and bumped (on nice gentle sand) on the south tip of jewfish where the charts had deep water - so you might have some iffy spots in the anchorage as the sand there is said to shift a lot-but buy a drink or a meal at moore's and you can tie up to their dock overnight. I dove my boat there to inspect the keel after grounding and had ample space below me. Of course, call the restaurant for the most up to date info.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2016, 14:43   #6

Thanks for the updates. I can live with a couple couple of feet under the keel but your advice about transit during high tide is sound. Thanks.
Old 14-03-2016, 16:01   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by brownoarsman View Post
I was there last February. I have five feet below me, and bumped (on nice gentle sand) on the south tip of jewfish where the charts had deep water - so you might have some iffy spots in the anchorage as the sand there is said to shift a lot-but buy a drink or a meal at moore's and you can tie up to their dock overnight. I dove my boat there to inspect the keel after grounding and had ample space below me. Of course, call the restaurant for the most up to date info.

Oarsman,
If you stayed in the marked channel, you never would have bumped bottom. If you strayed from the channel, anything is possible since the sands shift continuously. I have sailed every inch of the channel/Intercoastal from Tampa Bay to Longboat Pass with plenty of water for a 7' draft. The area you mention by Jewfish Key is a party area for powerboats on the weekends because of the shallow water and sandbar in that area. Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 14-03-2016, 16:05   #8

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy

Yup-as mentioned, I was checking out the anchorage, specifically it's perimeter! So, was outside the channel. Wonderful area, wish I'd taken more time to enjoy the gulf coast.

brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 08:47   #9

Boat: Goetz Custom 68
Send a message via AIM to Bill whitmore

If you stay 50 yards inshore of the LP and first green daymark and come in with tide 1 foot above mean low water and no swell you should be fine. I would not chance it with any kind of swell running.
Old 15-03-2016, 10:34   #10

Boat: Beneteau First 42

The Longboat Pass bridge is quite narrow and the tidal current on the ebb can be a pip. We time our passages for slack water. At least one of the bridge tenders there is very reluctant to open the bridge until one is quite close because of the disruption to traffic. If one is not careful when outbound, one risks being swept into a not fully opened bridge and little steerage given little or no motion through the water itself. Note too that charted Aids do not correspond with the actual locations of marks which have been moved, generally south, on the Gulf side due to shoaling along the north shore of the pass.

FWIW...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2016, 12:10   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
Pirate,
If you're talking about Longboat Pass bridge between Bradenton Beach and Longbeach, there is no depth problem at all for 6 feet. We used that pass on a regular basis for months and never had a depth problem. Even the chart shows 17 feet under the bridge. However, the biggest problem is that the width of the bridge opening is very narrow and susceptible to the tide/current. If you are approaching from the west, stay 75 yards from the bridge until the bridge begins to open. From the east, hang out between R "4" and R "6" until it begins opening. The only exception is if the tide/current is against you in which case you can inch a little closer. You'll have plenty of time to make the bridge safely. Also, be certain that there are no power boats attempting to transit at the same time as you may wind up bouncing off the wooden bridge walls or worse. We saw one idiot on a catamaran approaching from the Gulf get caught in an incoming tide and nearly dismast his boat as he waited less than 30 yards from the bridge. I also ran into that same boat returning from the Gulf on another occasion and he rudely passed me in the channel at a close distance and swerved to enter the bridge pass first. I later discovered he was a "Captain" who taught sailing to beginners from a local marina in Maria Sound. Good luck and safe sailing.
Yes, that's exactly the pass we plan on entering. I've read various reports about bad shoaling and using high tide with calm seas. Staying south and east of the LP and south and east of the channel. We'll also call the toning companies when the time is near and get an update.

This is a stop over for us heading south so it's not imperative that we enter from the gulf. If the weather and timing aren't right we'll head down the ditch from Clearwater. Same with Venice. I just prefer offshore rather than motor down the ditch and all that entails.

Thanks!!
Old 15-03-2016, 12:27   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pirate999 View Post
Yes, that's exactly the pass we plan on entering. I've read various reports about bad shoaling and using high tide with calm seas. Staying south and east of the LP and south and east of the channel. We'll also call the toning companies when the time is near and get an update.

This is a stop over for us heading south so it's not imperative that we enter from the gulf. If the weather and timing aren't right we'll head down the ditch from Clearwater. Same with Venice. I just prefer offshore rather than motor down the ditch and all that entails.

Thanks!!
Good strategy! Why jink down the Intercoastal when you can set your sails and go! Good luck and safe sailing.
Old 15-03-2016, 12:52   #13

Boat: Gemini 105Mc

I'll just add.........

We spent last weekend at longboat pass 3/4 - 3/7. We came down the GICW so no info about the pass itself. However, we arrived in the dark on a Friday night to find the anchorage pretty full. Had to anchor much closer to the fishing pier than I would have liked, but didn't have any problems. By Monday, when we left, 5 to 6 boats had moved on so there was much more room.

It's been about a year since we entered from the gulf. Also, FYI, Moore's Stone Crab has been sold and is currently closed.... The Mar Vista was insanely busy.
Davy J is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal