Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2015, 15:09   #1

Longish residential sailing course wanted

I'm looking to do a fast track course ideally not in the uk, but not only hopefully
Maybe to save a bit of money but to get some warmer weather and see some more world.
i've seen a "zero to hero" 14 day course in Thailand for a £1000.
Its about the budget.
I have already read a few other threads and realise to learn what i'm going to have to i'll need to be a sieve.
But i can sail at the minute and learn fast.
Any suggestions?.
woodyapex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:19   #2

Boat: Catana 471
Re: Longish residential sailing course wanted

Buy a small boat and sail it every chance you get and teach yourself. Call me old school, but I never had formal lessons, well, just one: About 48 years ago my Dad pushed me off the beach in a Sailfish and told me to sail upwind first. Always go upwind first. Then it's easier to get back, even if you're in the water.....

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 15:26   #3

Dave i've a Islander 23 bilge keel.
I just need to travel the world and although i'm increasingly thinking thinking even a 23 can do it lol our lass wants to be able to sit up straight in the head lol. With a few home comforts.
I also think after reading some of the threads on here that at the end of the day we are standing on the shoulders of giants and in some situations you dont get a second chance at some situations " If at first you don't succeed , you either crash your boat or drown" and as a wise man once said " if it's going to happen it's going to happen at sea "
I just would like to learn all i can.
Cheers
Old 12-05-2015, 16:00   #4

Boat: Catana 471

Quote:
Originally Posted by woodyapex View Post
I just would like to learn all i can.
We all do. And the honest ones among us admit to learning something new every day, no matter our training or experience.

What topics do you think you're most deficient at? If you've mastered your Islander as far as sailing fundamentals go, you're way ahead of the curve. If you seek cruising credits, the best way to learn is to go out and do it. How did you learn to ride a bicycle? Not by reading books, I bet.

Dave
2Hulls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2015, 16:12   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2Hulls View Post
We all do. And the honest ones among us admit to learning something new every day, no matter our training or experience.

What topics do you think you're most deficient at? If you've mastered your Islander as far as sailing fundamentals go, you're way ahead of the curve. If you seek cruising credits, the best way to learn is to go out and do it. How did you learn to ride a bicycle? Not by reading books, I bet.

Dave
For sure but i'm one of the best loft converters in the uk (it took me 20 years to learn the hard way ) if i wrote a book on it, someone could learn most things in 10 years (maybe) but if they were shown by me the i could teach them in 5 yrs . Maybe
Old 12-05-2015, 16:38   #6

Just my opinion, but 2 week fast track says it all, but experience is not every thing especially if that is sailing in the Saturday afternoon club race for twenty years or getting by, by luck.
The Uk will teach you true tidal sailing and how to cope with the ever changing weather, shipping colregs etc etc in real time, yes the warm waters will make it more pleasurable but 15 knots every day from 1000hrs to 1600hrs in the trades won't teach you the same lessons as a 6 knot spring tidal stream with a tidal gate to meet at you next safe haven with an Atlantic low bearing down on you with an instructor on board who will keep you in the zone
Again, just my opinion, but being a slave teaches you that boats are hard work especially on a budget, I would say suck it up and look at the bigger picture of what you are gaining.
Sorry for babbling, it's been a frustrating day at work and as they say
" a bad day on the water is better than any day in the office "

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
Hoofsmit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 09:35   #7

Boat: Island Packet 350

If you are set on lessons I recommend the fast track course of the Offshore Sailing school on Captiva Island on the west coast of Florida. They off U.S. Sailing Assn. Certifications. The class includes an overnight sail to Key West. Great fun
sailorman7225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 10:28   #8
Eternal Member

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lagoon 400

There's quite a few sailing schools around the Canary Islands. Price is about €550/week. Flights from uk cheap, weather usually pretty nice too. I'd suggest a week or two working toward a yachtmaster certificate. You can always take breaks, explore the island for a week, do theory for a week, a weeks practical, work at your own pace
monte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoofsmit View Post

[...]

The Uk will teach you true tidal sailing and how to cope with the ever changing weather, shipping colregs etc etc in real time...

[...]

.... as a 6 knot spring tidal stream with a tidal gate to meet at you next safe haven with an Atlantic low bearing down on you with an instructor on board who will keep you in the zone...

[...]

Sent from my iPad.......i apologise for the auto corrects !!!
I just could not agree more !!!

Set sail to the Scilly isles ? Scilly archipelago ?
How do you call them in English ?

If you can sail there, you can sail everywhere.

My 2 (continental) cents.
C.
Claude_Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 11:54   #10

I'm a fan of the RYA and ASA courses, but not of the fast track approach. My experience was that doing one course at a time, and doing some sailing in between, maximises the gains.
Old 13-05-2015, 13:31   #11
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

"our lass wants to be able to sit up straight in the head "
I understand plastic surgery can fix that.(VBG)

Not knowing what the standards are in Thailand, I'd also suggest an RYA or ASA certified school, which at least will be teaching you "western standards" and give you certification accepted globally.

The Moorings charter fleet, in the carib, is affiliated with Offshore Sailing School and you might find a "basic to bareboat" charter course through them. More than a thousand pounds, I'm sure, but with reduced airfare, or off-season rates, and the value of a recognized name and certification....maybe worth looking at.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 15:19   #12

Trips on the Tall Ships Trust's Challenger yachts come in at less than £100 a day - e.g. 18 nights Biscay Challenge for £1800.

Earlier in the year they had fairly regular last-minute discount offers, but I don't know if you'll get those now the summer's here.

Challenger Yacht Voyages | Tall Ships Adventures
Strolls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2015, 22:06   #13

Boat: Fisksatra, Havsfidra I, 20'

Check out Offshore Passage Opportunities . He has trips with highly skilled professional delivery captains ferrying boats from the Carribbean to New York/Newport RI areas. It was one of the best investments I made and thoroughly enjoyable. That experience led to many opportunities to crew on deliveries with other skippers and owners.

Maureen
opolily is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
sail, sailing, wanted