Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-11-2021, 22:59   #46

Boat: Outbound 44
Re: Looking for Advice on AIS Transmitters

Epoxyman,
Not sure what your travel plans are, but using a class A AIS is not an install and forget thing. If you install a class B+ unit after setup there is nothing you do with it. On a class A system you set the destination each time you move, then you set your status each time it changes, such as moored, at anchor, under sail, under power, etc. These are all intended for ship movement. Failing to set the accurate status just makes it more confusing for other ships receiving your signal.

Class B's are more suited to cruising boats.
Old 30-11-2021, 10:12   #47

Boat: Trlåren 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul L View Post
Epoxyman,
Not sure what your travel plans are, but using a class A AIS is not an install and forget thing. If you install a class B+ unit after setup there is nothing you do with it. On a class A system you set the destination each time you move, then you set your status each time it changes, such as moored, at anchor, under sail, under power, etc. These are all intended for ship movement. Failing to set the accurate status just makes it more confusing for other ships receiving your signal.

Class B's are more suited to cruising boats.

Thanks for posting this information. I imagine many if not most assumed the differences between class A and class B systems applied to the device and were unaware of different operational requirements. I was certainly unaware of any operational requirements.

The requirement you explained should indeed make a class A system a no go for nearly all recreational boaters.
Nord Sal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:03   #48

Sort of off topic, but, back to the problem here: a near collision.

In my experience, AIS positions are not close to accurate enough for collision avoidance.

Not sure a newer AIS unit will make any difference in position accuracy and collision avoidance.

Again, from my personal experience, upgrade your radar.
Ricko600 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 07:35   #49

I installed an XB8000 four years ago and have been very happy with the system. I really like the added benefit of having a strong reliable GPS signal that I use for regular navigation (I don't currently have a MFD).

I decided to go with the splitter, but that didn't add to my cost. I bought the system from Cactus Nav. Not only was the exchange rate making the dollar price favorable to even the big discounters on this side of the pond, but Cactus was doing a free splitter with the XB8000. I just saw that same deal earlier this year, but it doesn't seem to still be available. It seems they do this regularly, so if you don't need the system immediately they are definitely the low cost source.

BTW, I am not affiliated in any way with Cactus Nav.

-- Bill
elliowb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 08:41   #50

Boat: J/42

I also have two R/M E80's and after some research, I went with the Em-Trak B924 due to it's multi-plexing ability. All I did was send the AIS data out of the B924 via the 38000 NMEA port and into the NMEA IN on the E80. But also had to be sure the E80 was also updated to the latest/last software version... 5.6 I think. Invaluable safety measure now a days..
wsconner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:25   #51

Boat: 1987 Southerly 115

Another consideration is MAIANA™: The Open Source AIS Transponder. Self-contained transponder unit with GPS, easy to mount, easy to connect. Available in USB, NMEA 0183, and NMEA 2000 versions for $200-250 (depending on version and shipping). Excellent support.

No affiliation, just a VERY happy user.
Slovak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 09:34   #52

Boat: Jouët 37, 11,4m length

El emisor AIS más barato del mercado - The Low Cost Sailor
take a Marine Boat Use Fishing Net Position Meter Send AIS Location with Antenna IPX7 Waterproof GPS. https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005...abdd5238e5ed53
dady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:01   #53

First, using AIS for your first line of avoiding collisions is not the best plan. First is eyeballs, and a close second, especially in fog is radar. Radar should be an absolute MUST for operation in fog, PERIOD!

Another thought is FLIR, thermal camera, but a tad expensive.

Now, AIS is really handy to get a heads up of traffic, but it's not exactly "real" time as there is a delay in the signals. But is WILL help, especially in winding inland rivers or with obstructions where you or the radar can't see.... and give you a real good idea what's out there.... and hopefully, be able to call them on the radio.

I had the Vesper XB-8000 and it was great. Currently have the Garmin 600, also a good unit.

Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:37   #54

Send a message via Skype™ to Capt. Mike Maurice

AIS class B units only transmit 1 1/2 watts. Antenna Splitters and or old antenna cables(corrosion), especially long runs to the top of the mast may reduce the signal to barely noticeable beyond 1/2 mile.
You may think this is not an issue, but I saw this with a sailboat near Crescent City, CA a couple of years ago. Not one installation in a thousand is ever tested to see how far the signal can be received. Keep that in mind when you install one.
Capt. Mike Maurice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 10:50   #55
MJH

Boat: Tayana Vancouver 42ac

Quote:
Originally Posted by epoxyman View Post
I have been cruising with an AIS receiver since 2011. After this last season on the Maine Coast - nearly got run down by a 48 ft. catamaran in the fog going 12 knots that was only using AIS to look for boats, I realized that transmitting is getting to be required from a safety perspective. I have an older Raymarine system (two E80's) that I am very happy with for navigation and my receiver is a Standard Horizon VHF/AIS radio. I have been looking up transmitters and transceivers and have found a few under $800, but would love some input as to what other cruisers are using as transmitters on their boats. Would like to spend in the $500 range if possible (Si-Tex Metadata Class B, Vesper XB-6000, Em-Trak A100 are examples).
Thanks for your help
Since you have a budget of $500 I suggest you try to find a used Vesper Marine Watchmate 850 with Vesper Marine SP160 VHF Splitter for your current antenna. I installed the setup in 2014 and have not had one problem with it. A great piece of equipment and tested during roundtrips to Hawaii and Alaska from Washington. I love it.

~ ~ _/) ~ ~ MJH
MJH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 12:48   #56

Boat: Adams 13, 13.5m

Fitted a Matzutec in 2015, had to use separate aerial, so have one at masthead for vhf, and one on solar arch. Am happy to use its own little screen, even after connecting it to the radar display in 2019.
An excellent AID for collision avoidance
barryglewis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 14:00   #57

Boat: Hinckley, Bermuda 40 Mk III, 40'

I went with a system similar to Donnybrook's. I installed an Em-trak B954. It has both Bluetooth and wireless. It also has an internal antenna splitter.

It truly was "plug and play" - it took me about 15 minutes to install it. It plays with my Standard Horizon GX2200 just fine - no problems at all.

It's also connected to my NEMA 2000 backbone to provide backup GPS to the system.

The 'factory' price for the 954 is $999. Again, like Donnybrook, I bought mine from Milltech Marine, who I found generally had the best price. I see that their 'normal' price is $829 for the 954. However - I bought mine on some sort of 'Black Friday' (or some other) sale and got it for around $700 and change. The Milltech folks were easy to order from - and they were efficient in setting up the AIS - but I can't comment on their customer support since I haven't had to use it yet.
rls8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 14:03   #58

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

At sea(commercially) we used to generally ignore AIS signals from pleasure craft eg. B Class, as they were "unimportant".
Either they( B class) change course or get run over. This is the way it was in shipping lanes.
Anyway, Class B have a very limited transmission range, like 1NM or so.
Also It is built into the A class system( SOTDMA ) that signals from A class are prioritized over B.

What is important in to-days shipping world, is to know where the 'big' guys are in relation to your position. All you need is for this is a AIS RECEIVER.
A lot of people buy A Class B transceiver, but in reality it gives a false sense of safety as their transmission range is only 1 NM give or take.
Most fishing boats don't even have any form of AIS on board.

You are better (and a lot cheaper) of having a GOOD lookout and a AIS RECEIVER.
The one we use on our yacht is from www.aisdigital.com , the cheapest one around.
Connected to OpenCpn on a laptop, shows all AIS (A&B) targets on screen. Shows closest point of approach, a possible collision+ time to go, speeds, course... an audible collision alarm and more.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2021, 14:57   #59

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by pendragon View Post
At sea(commercially) we used to generally ignore AIS signals from pleasure craft eg. B Class, as they were "unimportant".
Either they( B class) change course or get run over. This is the way it was in shipping lanes.
This is completely at odds with what other master mariners (if that is what you are) have reported, and with my experience as a WAFI. And of course, at odds with COLREGS as well. I find it hard to believe that this is or was a standard practice.

Anyway, Class B have a very limited transmission range, like 1NM or so.
This is simply not true. Actual testing of our Class B showed that we had reliable contacts at 8 miles and less reliable out to 12 miles. This between yachts with masthead antennae.

Also It is built into the A class system( SOTDMA ) that signals from A class are prioritized over B.

What is important in to-days shipping world, is to know where the 'big' guys are in relation to your position. All you need is for this is a AIS RECEIVER.
A lot of people buy A Class B transceiver, but in reality it gives a false sense of safety as their transmission range is only 1 NM give or take.
Again, not true. See above.

Most fishing boats don't even have any form of AIS on board.

You are better (and a lot cheaper) of having a GOOD lookout and a AIS RECEIVER.
The one we use on our yacht is from Marine electronics, best value for money , the cheapest one around.
Connected to OpenCpn on a laptop, shows all AIS (A&B) targets on screen. Shows closest point of approach, a possible collision+ time to go, speeds, course... an audible collision alarm and more.
The above post does not agree with the opinions of many observers, both professional and amateur (WAFI). I do agree that a receiver is better than nothing, but it is clear that broadcasting one's own AIS data is of considerable use to others in maintaining safety at sea.

Jim
Old 03-12-2021, 15:01   #60

Boat: Summer Twins 25

Presently installing a Raymarine AIS 100 splitter and a AIS650 Transponder
As I already have RM Auto Pilot and MFD
Just feel once you have gone RM or other it’s easier to continue with the brand
Shaneesprit is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, ais