Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-05-2012, 19:27   #16

Re: Looking for Some Advice

Thanks for the feed back - means a lot to me!

So, I see that Beneteau 36' to 42' is a recommended monohull. I have chartered the Oceanis 470 in the caribbean and it was really nice and easy to handle. Any particular model or year I should avoid?

Catamarangs, I have been drooling over, but they all seem to be a lot more money than I would like to spend. The Lagoons seem reasonable in price wise but I am not sure I like the styling with the raised helm station. What are they like in terms of short handed sailing?
BusyB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 19:40   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyB

So, I see that Beneteau 36' to 42' is a recommended monohull. I have chartered the Oceanis 470 in the caribbean and it was really nice and easy to handle. Any particular model or year I should avoid?

Catamarangs, I have been drooling over, but they all seem to be a lot more money than I would like to spend. The Lagoons seem reasonable in price wise but I am not sure I like the styling with the raised helm station. What are they like in terms of short handed sailing?
I like the Firsts. But I have racing disease. The Oceanis line seems to be a good choice for cruising. A famous CFer MarkJ bought one, a 393, and sailed it around the world. He stopped in here on the way through. Might be useful to read some of his posts. He is a pretty good sailor, joined me on a beer can race, and his attitude was ya run what ya brung.

There are vagaries between years and models that I am not expert on. Basically I would go for as new as I could afford as a start point. On same price with the pedigree 10 years different between a 47 and a 42, I would get the 42, depending on condition of course. Fit out and accessories would be another big factor.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2012, 23:28   #18

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,

Welcome aboard, Busy B. Time on the water -- on a variety of boats in a variety of places -- is a wonderful thing. Get a dozen sailors in a room and you should be able to collect several dozen opinions about boats. A few boats are turkeys; others do one or two things well, some do several things pretty well -- somewhat like people.
Old 29-05-2012, 00:28   #19

Boat: Oyster 45

This thread may be worth a look. (Keel drops off Benny)
At least if you go for a Benny you know what to look for.
I have sailed a few and you do get a lot of boat for your money but the best way (and enjoyable) is to visit as many boats as possible.

Bavaria lost keel again - Yachting and Boating World Forums
Old 29-05-2012, 02:03   #20

Boat: L. Francis Herreshoff H28 Ketch & Brisol 24 @ 25'

Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyB View Post
Two cabins and one head would be adequate as mostly of the time i will be just the two of us as the kids have flown the coop. I am looking at a Bavaria but not sure if I want to spend that much.
Why buy a Bavaria? I am so envious of some of the American and Canadian classic long keel cruising yachts with these features not much over 30' feet that you can find at a reasonable price. Just search the forums!
Old 29-05-2012, 04:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus View Post
This thread may be worth a look. (Keel drops off Benny)
At least if you go for a Benny you know what to look for.
I have sailed a few and you do get a lot of boat for your money but the best way (and enjoyable) is to visit as many boats as possible.

Bavaria lost keel again - Yachting and Boating World Forums

I Guess Benny mean Beneteau. I agree that the beneteau is a fine product. Does anyone know what kind of resin is used in the 2008 vintage? Osmotic blistering with polyester rasins is something I have read a lot about. Tartan and Bavaria use Vyniester and epoxy rasins since 2003 I was told.

Thanks
Old 29-05-2012, 07:20   #22

Boat: Gozzard 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by BusyB

Cats and anything over 40' will limit you on lake Ontario, If you want to cruise you'll find anchorages few and far between, leaving clubs and marinas as your choice, most have no place for a cat and 40' + slips are not common.
You might want to consider an older boat mid 30' ish for the few years you stay on the lake, move up when you're leaving!
Captivy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2012, 16:54   #23

What is the difference between the Oceanis & Cyclades. Has any one sailed both?

Moorings seem to have a few 2007's for sale. If the boat is in the caribbean, what is the best way to get it into canada? Anyone purchase one from moorings and brought it into canada?