Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-10-2017, 04:51   #1

Boat: Kenner Privateer 26
Looking to relocate to a lush cruising ground.

Hello all,

I am currently in the middle of sending out my resume to a bunch of places out in Washington state. I know the cruising there is spectacular, lots of wilderness and access to a large amount of islands stretch up into Alaska. The weather tends to be mild if not on the cooler side, but its warm enough to leave your boat in the water. This is my dream location, but I probably would have better luck applying for jobs in a few other locations, such as New Orleans area, North Carolina, and other places were cost of living isnt as massive. My question is, how are these waters? Are there places to anchor and go hiking away from civilization, or is it more about just going out for a few days into the golf/Atlantic? Im currently sailing out of Chicago and even though the community is great here, I hate that there are no overnight anchorages, and the entire coast is urban. If you have any suggestions, on places I should look into, or sources talking about good cruising grounds, let me know!
Wind459 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:32   #2

Re: Looking to relocate to a lush cruising ground.

With exception of a few areas I think you'll find most places offer some remote / isolated places to anchor. Even in Houston with our brown, murky, 8 foot deep bay you can cruise up some bayous and spend the night tied to some trees in remote areas.

Cruising south from Annapolis we found the Chesapeake to be full of neat places to stop. There is lots of wildlife and isolated areas on the ICW all along the east coast.

I'm sure there's nothing like the beauty of the northwest though!
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2017, 05:38   #3

Boat: Camano Troll
Re: Looking to relocate to a lush cruising ground.

Yes the Chesapeake Bay is a great place to boat except in the winter. Almost anywhere along the AICW offers good boating and places to anchor.

You didn't post anything about what jobs you are qualified for and that may be what determines where you can live and how rural or urban it is.

BTW: The local cost of living and salaries usually go hand in hand. If you can swing it, work where the cost of living and compensation are high, save some money and then retire to where the cost of living is low. You will be a rich man.

Tags
cruising