Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-04-2006, 12:21   #1
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Amanda Faye 61' Custom Irwin aftcockpit ketch
Low cast storage

With what will likely be a change in our cruising plans I have been thinking of options that we can do for a while. I would like to take the boat off the lakes and store it somewhere for what could be a few years. Does anyone have any ideas where to look for long term storage with a low price? Somewhere warmer than Michigan.
Old 18-04-2006, 13:30   #2

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Seabrook Marine in New Orleans would be on your route if coming down the Mississippi. Large storage yard w/many boats up now due to Katrina repairs. Could be economical.

Also try House of Boats in Aransas Pass TX. A DIY yard that quoted me about $320/month for our 52-footer.

For warm and cheap, I don't think you'll find cheaper than the Texas coast - away from Houston of course.
Old 18-04-2006, 13:33   #3

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Forgot - also Island Moorings Marina in Port Aransas for wet storage / slip. A 60ft slip is about $325/month on a year pre-pay. About $390 if month by month. Nice marina w/floating docks. C'mon down and I'll make you guys a Margarita !
Old 18-04-2006, 13:55   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Gunner:

Sorry to hear about the change in plans. I just looked into keeping a boat in San Carlos Mexico (its on the Sea of Cortez.) The quote for a 36' boat with <14k displacement was $135 a month. Plus $160 each way to take in or to pull out.

Charlie
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-04-2006, 20:13   #5
cruiser

Boat: Catalac Catamaran
Glades Boat Storage in LaBelle FL, in the middle of nowhere and really cheap.

Rick in Florida
Tropic Cat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2006, 11:05   #6
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

No ideas for a place, but if it will be several years, I think I'd avoid the entire Gulf Coast, FL and other hurricane areas. We're going into an upswing in hurricanes over the next few years. Might be safer to stay up north.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 07:42   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Down here in southern VA we have some inexpensive yard storage that basically gets you away from the hurricanes but close to the ocean and a half day sail from Cape Henry. You would need to winterize but you can stay in the water without a bubbler. You don't have to haul in the winter if you didn't want to, but storage is cheaper than slip rates. Long term slip rates are about as cheap as it gets for these parts.

If interested I have a web address I can send you. It's where I haul. They can handle a 150,000 lbs in the hoist so Amanda Faye could be hauled easily. Work quality is good and services are priced reasonable. You can also do all your own work or bring in contractors no problem. It's just not near a town nor are there any services you could walk to other than at the marina. The folks and owners are nice.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote