Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-11-2023, 15:37   #31

Boat: Seawind 1190 sport
Re: Low tech, simple heater

Further to thinwater's comments on non vented combustion heaters, I find that my windows fog up within minutes once i use my propane stove in cool weather. I'm not a fan of dampness in my boat, and as well, i try to avoid breathing combustion products where possible. That said, with my present boat, i'm happy to have heat from a Webasto diesel fired hydronic (which was neither low tech nor simple and was a pain in the ass to commission).
DougM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 06:34   #32

Boat: Sister-ship of Bernard Moitessier's Joshua

This thread sounds like the prelude to an article titled “Man dies from carbon monoxide poisoning”

Make sure you have a CO2 alarm, at least.
Old 01-12-2023, 06:53   #33

Boat: Morgan 323

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redboat View Post
I have a Morgan 321. One of the reasons I like it is it is low tech, has simple systems. It has foot pumps for the head and galley sinks, a composting toilet, and enough sail handling lines but not more than needed. And it is built like a brick shithouse.

Ideas?
Can you share details of your composting head? I have a Morgan 323 and I'm wondering if I can fit one in there to replace the original head. Feel free to PM so I don't disrupt your thread on heat. Thank you!
GerryL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:07   #34

Boat: CS 27

Last winter, while heading south, I used a Mr. Heater Buddy, as has been suggested earlier. It has slots on the back for wall mounting... I threw a couple screws in the back of my galley cabinet and hung it securely there, pretty central. It not only gives off good heat, but is also radiant, so feels nice and warming almost immediately.
They say it's safe for indoor stuff... it's marketed as such and I did research and found the only problems they've had were with people modifying it. It never twigged my CO detector.
Two downsides: humidity and totally manual. I didn't have a big problem with it creating a bunch of condensation due to the structure of the boat, but there definitely was some at the exposed aluminum of the hatches and on the port lights. There's no getting around that with non-vented combustion. And, there's not a thermostat or anything like that. You have to turn it on and off. Not a big deal. I'd just turn it on for a bit and run it on low until things warmed up, then turned it off. Heat things up before bed, then climb in the blankets. Since it heated such a small space relatively quickly, it wasn't a big deal to get it fired up in the morning and get things warming while dressing.
Overall, I was quite happy with it for the cost. I'd like the diesel truck heater or one of the properly vented heaters for longer term, but for a couple months, it worked just right.
edventuredad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:14   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
FWIW:
1 LB. DISPOSABLE PROPANE CYLINDERS are labelled “Non Refillable”, and refilling them is illegal, and poses potential risks of fire, explosion, and personal injury.

The U.S. Department of Transportation, cautions the public to never refill ‘DOT 39' [or ‘TC-39 M’] cylinders, such as the 1lb. cylinders used for camping. These types of containers were not designed to withstand the stresses of emptying and refilling.
DOT 39 cylinders [or ‘TC-39 M’, in Canada] , of any size, are strictly non-refillable.
Hazmat incidents involving refilled ‘DOT 39' cylinders have occurred, including [at least] one fatality.
See ➥ https://www.globalhazmat.com/news/ri...ane-cylinders/

& ➥ https://www.phmsa.dot.gov/regulatory...pane-bottles-0
& ➥ https://open.alberta.ca/dataset/0f1b...s-june2016.pdf
Just a fyi, nott all 1lb tanks are non-refillable: http://https://flamekingproducts.com/collections/propane-tanks/products/1lb-refillable-lp-cylinder-16-4oz-green

As for heating a cabin, the one thing to remember is if you dont vent, you are adding moisture to the enviroment. No way around it. If it doesnt bother you, the mr. Buddy heaters work great. If you want dry heat, adding a small diesel heater is the way i would go. They have them pre-made in a case ready to go, or you can make your own system. Look on youtube, there are a ton of people adding them to vans. Pretty simple.
intervivos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:14   #36
JBP

Boat: Jeanneau Tonic 23

I've used the Mr. Buddy heater above. It's works great. Too great for my small boat. A few minutes on low and it was too hot. I found the pilot light alone made the boat noticeably warmer.

The Weems & Plath kerosene lamps are beautiful but only put out a small amount of heat.

If you have an inverter, Caframo makes the "Stor-Dry" low wattage heater fan.

The popular Origo alcohol stove also had a "heat pal" version for a heater. Be careful, open flame on boats and all that.
JBP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:46   #37

Boat: Beneteau 343

Little buddy works really well. Not something I leave running for extended periods. Just used to take the chill out of a cold boat.
https://www.northerntool.com/product...el-mh4b-173668
EmeraldCoastSailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 07:47   #38
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I happen to have a boat (home built) and similar to yours in simplicity. I feel that boats have become way too complicated for what they are intended for... like automobiles , they are designed to sell, and prices each year are not going down lol

Getting back to boats, and mine in particular, I was visiting New Zealand on my solo voyage some years ago where I was onboard at an anchorage in the middle of winter, and it was cold, freezing actually!
I did not have a heater and happened to mention this to a friend. She suggested something that she does and that it was simple and very effective for the interior of her little boat.

It turned out to be just the ticket for my boat as well, and I happily pass this on to you and other boat owners as well.
Simply take a clay flower pot (you know the the ones at any hardware store, Home Depot or whatever), place it (or two if need be) upside down on your stove and turn the heat down as low as you can. You did not mention what form of stove you have on your boat (I'm assuming you have one I have a simple, two burner propane stove, no oven.

The heat inside the pot will soon become hot and radiate around your cabin and it is only the small amount of fuel one has to consider.... it is safe, simple and can be stowed in a heartbeat...I really hope this helps..
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:04   #39
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Low tech, simple heater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nwdiver View Post
Terracotta flower pot inverted over a burner on low, use a large one, it’s the surface area, of course you need a propane stove.
This produces a lot of moisture that is miserable.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 08:58   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
I found running a couple of small kerosene wick lamps take the chill off a cabin quite nicely in Maine. Bigger ones put out even more heat. When I went to Labrador we had a huge kerosene lamp that served us well to heat a small boat. The trick is to use the best lamp fuel you can find. Don't get cheap kerosene or they smoke and stink.
Even the best, smoke and odor-free kerosene lamps will turn the interior your boat gray in a couple of years. Ask me how I know.
col50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 09:35   #41

Boat: Looking for my next boat!

ORIGO HEATPAL 5000.

Completely self contained. Famous ORIGO safety. Super simple. Pumps out tons of heat and is adjustable too, with a simple knob.

Out of production but can be found used. Especially since they never wear out.
hamburking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 13:29   #42

Quote:
Good idea. I'll have to run the numbers to see how it works with my battery system. We have no fridge or freezer, LED lights, and very few powered devices so an electric blanket may be just the ticket.
Even better, try an electric mattress pad. With a down comforter on top. Put heat inbetween you and the cold hull and water. I lived in a cold place onboard for many years. My bed was sometimes the most comfy place onboard. Pre heat an hour before bed time for an extra toasty experience. Miss it.
SUNCAT365 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 14:21   #43

Quote:
I have a Morgan 321. One of the reasons I like it is it is low tech, has simple systems. It has foot pumps for the head and galley sinks, a composting toilet, and enough sail handling lines but not more than needed. And it is built like a brick shithouse.

I sail on Lake Superior and most of the season it is warmish and comfortable. However, in Spring and early Fall, it would be nice to have a cabin heater to take the edge off.

I don't really want to run lots of duct work, or drill holes in cabin top. I'd like a simple, maybe portable (so I can stow it away) heater for those shoulder seasons. Likely only to be used at anchor, away from the dock.

Ideas?
Hey there Redboat,

I'm a retired Refrigeration Journeyman and have figured a way to heat our small sailboat cabin with a portable propane on-demand water heater. I found a small one for less than $100. Anyway, my wife and I almost got asphyxiated one year when I lit up a "Mr.Heater" buddy heater so I was scared into thinking of some other way to keep warm. I had an extra radiant heater in my shed and just bought a 12V circulator pump which I controlled with a battery operated thermostat (cheap one) Basically, I I piped the water heater to kick on when the pump starts and off when the t-stat is satisfied. What's nice is that this setup is all completely portable so we can take it out of commission when we don't need it. I hope I explained that well enough. Good Luck with your boat and for heavens sake, do NOT burn an open flame in your cabin.
MattN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 16:15   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
I use a portable Mr. Heater Buddy,

It's like a tent heater and turns off automatically if jolted or knocked over.

It uses the 16 oz. propane cans, but when I start cruising longer distances I may try and adapt a larger tank to it.

https://www.amazon.com/Mr-Heater-F23...JWiPD_BwE&th=1

My boat is on the hard also, and I use it to warm up the cabin before I paint on very cold days.
I'm cringing a little about this. My wife and I were almost asphyxiated by one of these. Please be careful to have plenty of fresh air in the cabin - can be very dangerous. I use one in my basement now but never on my boat. On the upside, I found a YouTube video on how to hack a solenoid valve in-line to adapt to a thermostat so the pilot stays lit but the main burner turns on and off with the temperature - I've adapted two of my "non-Thermostat" propane heaters to work that way. No problems what-so-ever.
MattN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2023, 17:44   #45

Boat: O'Day-25

I've never used the claypot method but it is simple. I should try it sometime.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Claypot heater.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	168.2 KB
ID:	283981  
KPowell is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater