Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-08-2019, 10:08   #16

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: Lower Chesapeake Bay Afternoon Squall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hardhead View Post
How often are you fellows being boarded by the law, overall, in the lower bay?

Are the VA Marine Police stopping a lot as well? As far as I can recall, I've been stopped about 3 times in the mid-bay by the MD Marine Police, and once by the Coast Guard - over about 15 years.

Generally, they want to check registration, fire extinguisher, flares, whistle, PFD's, etc. Basic safety requirements & are polite.
I haven't been stopped yet but have been observed closely a few times. Coming into Little Creek you have to run the guantlet of Navy patrol, Coast Guard, and Virginia Beach/Norfolk Police Boats plus the old guys doing CG Auxiliary.

It's very strange for me being from the Eastern Shore where as a teenager we never saw CG, Navy, or military police. Rarely saw them in Pensacola , Panama City, or Ft Walton Beach, FL, Morehead City, NC, Or Ocean Springs/Biloxi, MS either

Btw, what are you calling Mid Bay? To me that's Tangier or just south of near the wrecks
thomm225 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 10:13   #17

Boat: 1985 Ericson 32-3

I've been stopped on the kayak. After they put their green sticker on the bow I wonder if it will be kryptonite for the next ones to look at me. Or whether I ought to move said sticker to the sailboat.
Checkswrecks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 11:47   #18

As far s the Coas Guard stopping boats. Two rocket launchers were discovered in airports this past week. Next to smuggling in feom Canada or Mexico, smuggling by water is the easiest way to get contraband into the states. In this day and age should extra boat searches or at least stops be surprising. Different world. Maybe they were on high alert. We don't know. Stay courteous and cooperate, and if they are the professionals that they are you will be on your way shortly knowing that the USCG is there to protect and assist you when needed.
docwood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:32   #19

Boat: Catalina & Maycraft

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post

Btw, what are you calling Mid Bay? To me that's Tangier or just south of near the wrecks
Just about that same area - I used to fish out of the Patuxent for about 20 odd years, and plan to start actually sailing more between that area and where you are, much further south to Cape Charles.

Certain holidays and random summer weekends almost seem like a law enforcement drag net, with stops on many boats coming & going around Solomon's Island, and other weekends not much at all. Sounds like a lot more military law enforcement integration down at the mouth of the Bay.
Hardhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 12:51   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by docwood View Post
As far s the Coas Guard stopping boats. Two rocket launchers were discovered in airports this past week. Next to smuggling in feom Canada or Mexico, smuggling by water is the easiest way to get contraband into the states. In this day and age should extra boat searches or at least stops be surprising. Different world. Maybe they were on high alert. We don't know. Stay courteous and cooperate, and if they are the professionals that they are you will be on your way shortly knowing that the USCG is there to protect and assist you when needed.
I agree, and there is really no strong reason to complain - just so it's not a tag team between agencies, where you're getting stopped every trip out. That might be some explanation for the unique sticker mentioned by another poster - they want to keep targeting the bad guys and keep close tabs on them.... Just joking of course... I know the Coast Guard auxiliary gives safety check confirmation if requested - so that may be a small help if it's repetitive & just safety checks.
Old 05-08-2019, 16:09   #21

Quote:
Just about that same area - I used to fish out of the Patuxent for about 20 odd years, and plan to start actually sailing more between that area and where you are, much further south to Cape Charles.

Certain holidays and random summer weekends almost seem like a law enforcement drag net, with stops on many boats coming & going around Solomon's Island, and other weekends not much at all. Sounds like a lot more military law enforcement integration down at the mouth of the Bay.
Nice.

I took my 14' aluminum boat with a 25 Evinrude out of Onancock to Tangier with my friend when I was 17 in the early 70's to fish. That boat would really move with that motor and only two 140 lb teenagers onboard

We normally fished just inside Watts Island though in 44' of water on the edge of that 80' channel.

We'd catch very large Trout, Hardhead (Croaker), Flounder, and Spot back then on Peeler Crab bought directly from the Crab House on Deep Creek. They'd take the crabs directly out of the floating wooden pens. Talk about fresh bait!
Old 05-08-2019, 17:11   #22

Boat: Carver 356

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breaking Waves View Post
Is there a requirement to have an ID in a dinghy?
If so what kind of ID?
In VA, if it's a motorized dinghy, you need to carry your boating safety class completetion card.
Chuck34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2019, 17:28   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomm225 View Post
We'd catch very large Trout, Hardhead (Croaker), Flounder, and Spot back then on Peeler Crab bought directly from the Crab House on Deep Creek. They'd take the crabs directly out of the floating wooden pens. Talk about fresh bait!

Nice -- that's how I picked my screen name & boat name... croaker didn't sound quite right. My grandfather had the exact same set-up back in the 70's, evindude & all. Had a lot of fun, for almost no money. That's part of the reason I've been getting more back into sailing. Camp out, million dollar waterfront environment of the bay, scenery changes all the time - it's great. You have to get to a certain place in life before you properly realize the full benefits.

I'll keep any eye out for your sailboat if I get down that way-
Old 06-08-2019, 04:12   #24

Quote:
Nice -- that's how I picked my screen name & boat name... croaker didn't sound quite right. My grandfather had the exact same set-up back in the 70's, evindude & all. Had a lot of fun, for almost no money. That's part of the reason I've been getting more back into sailing. Camp out, million dollar waterfront environment of the bay, scenery changes all the time - it's great. You have to get to a certain place in life before you properly realize the full benefits.

I'll keep any eye out for your sailboat if I get down that way-

I figured that's where your screen name came from you being a Southern Maryland bay sailor/fisherman etc.

Mobjack Bay and on up the Severn River is another nice spot for anchoring and weather protection

As far as fishing back in the day, we on the Eastern Shore had a choice of bay side or seaside.

For the big " door mat" Flounder, we fished Metompkin or Wachapreague Inlets in most anything that would float from old Chincoteague Scows with ancient 40 hp Johnson Outboards to 16' Whirlwinds

I remember going fishing with the neighbor kids back in the day on their days Chincoteague Scow in late May/early June and not one of us had on shorts. Temp was probably low 70's this on Folly Creek

Grandpa was using a handline ……….. we just drifted for flounder in the creek and didn't even go out to the inlet. I was 7 or 8 years old.

Great memory on a perfect Spring day mid to late 60's.
Old 06-08-2019, 04:27   #25

This thread has devolved into a number of conversations. Regarding CG boarding in the lower Chesapeake, in Hampton Roads it’s a pretty common occupancy. There is a CG training facility in Yorktown and they are out and about all the time. We are not aggressive boaters by any means; but we are on the water A LOT. As a result, we ‘host’ them about every 15 months. They are always friendly and professional. However, we are middle aged, not partying and have all of our documents and equipment clearly ready and available. They have not actually laid foot on our vessel. They tie off next to us and as us to show them documents and safety items. When they are done, they issue us a receipt/document that we can present to other crews if we are approached. They pretty much waive us off after we show the subsequent teams this paper. We have NEVER been approached by any marine law enforcement in our dinghy and, to date, never had any documentation other than registration as I assumed that pointing to my mothership and going back to it would be enough. Lesson learned...
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 19:49   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by glcalahan View Post
Hello,

I have never been boarded by the Coast Guard so the comments re boarding has peaked my curiosity. Would someone post what I could expect when I am boarded? I would expect ID and vessel info but also surprised about carrying ID while on a short dingy ride. Safety, contraband???? Is there a checklist/protocol published??

Thanks!
At risk of starting yet another discussion of the right or wrong of CG authorities (there are plenty of them here and online), here is some info on what to expect in a boarding: CG Boarding General Information.

The major focus of a routine boarding will be proper documentation and required equipment (see https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF). Though the CG is empowered to enforce any and all US federal laws and regulations.

Keep in mind that a CG boarding of a US vessel (wherever located) is not optional, they don't ask permission to board.

And as mentioned above, a CG Auxiliary "inspection" is not a boarding but is a voluntary courtesy check done at your request.

Finally, a dinghy is a vessel independent of it's parent vessel, it must comply with the equipment and registration requirements for it's type and size of vessel (which may differ state to state).

Hope this helps.
slipaway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2019, 21:24   #27

Boat: Columbia 8.7

Dinghy safety requirements do vary by state, but the nation wide requirements for powered dinghys are PFDs and a sound device at all times, lights at night and flares at night on salt water and the Great Lakes.
CFS Klopas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2019, 14:55   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
The major focus of a routine boarding will be proper documentation and required equipment (see https://www.uscgboating.org/images/420.PDF). Though the CG is empowered to enforce any and all US federal laws and regulations.

That's a great link - Thanks.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:30   #29

A gust hit 56 knots from the squall we had yesterday afternoon. It was really hot and humid before it started. There was lots of lightning also and tons of rain. Hard to see at 20-25 miles per hour

While driving home, I thought I was getting hit by rocks but realized it must have been hail since the temp in my Jeep read 68 degrees at ground level having dropped from the upper 80's

The 56 knot gust was recorded by the buoy over by the York River. I got caught at anchor over there in a similar squall a couple years back

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02022 (1).jpg
Views:	74
Size:	439.3 KB
ID:	197451   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02023.jpg
Views:	67
Size:	324.1 KB
ID:	197452  

Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02028.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	429.9 KB
ID:	197453  
Old 08-08-2019, 04:38   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by slipaway View Post
CG authorities .... on what to expect in a boarding....
My encounters with the USCG have always been pretty straightforward.

The question (in my experience) is about the “marine police” - who I guess are state LEOs - and what their authority and process and expectations are.

I had an encounter a few years ago in the bay, where I was anchored up a creek off a small boat yard for a week while they were fabricating some stuff. Apparently one of the homeowners on the creek called the marine police and they came out to my boat and told me “it was time for me to move on”. They indicated they were quite ready to hassle me if I did not. I happened to already be planning to go the next day, so I was pleasant and just nodded my head, and moved on. But I believe they had zero authority for that encounter.

And the OP here being asked for “ID” seems odd. They can specifically ask for the safe boater card (I believe but am not sure, only of those who have been in the state for more than 60 days?), but I do not believe they have any authority to demand any other ID (sure they can ask, but not demand).

Am I right that the “marine police” (when not accompanied by uscg personal), are simply state or local LEOs, with no more or less authority than a local street cop, and no particular “marine process”?
Breaking Waves is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
chesapeake bay