Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-09-2018, 16:24   #1

Mac charger overheat while on shore power

Not sure how this works. UGH. I need to work from my boat so I need to charge the Iphone and Macbook Pro.

Hooked up to shore power to outlet (grounded 3 prong adapter hooked to marinco 30 amp service at marina) I plugged my MacBook pro charger in. Should be getting 110 out of the outlets. My charger got really hot after about 15 minutes.

I haven't had any other issues with charging heat on VHF handheld or any other thing that I have plugged in.

Am I doing something wrong here? Need a converter? Some obscure issue with current.

Help!

Scott
Freedom 32
"Girlfriend"
Ft Lauderdale, FL
Freedom32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 16:43   #2

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124
Re: Mac charger overheat while on shore power

They normally get can get very hot but if they are getting very very hot its possible that two of the pins are not making good contact. Clean the ends of the plug using alcohol.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2018, 17:19   #3

Boat: Valiant 40
Re: Mac charger overheat while on shore power

First thing I would do is go plug it into an AC outlet somewhere else and confirm it’s getting hotter on your boat. It may be normal and you’re just paranoid (no wait, vigilant!).

If it’s not normal then strikes me that Zboss is right. Assuming the boat is new to you I would replace the receptacle (they’re cheap) as the contacts might be corroded. When you do give the wires a close inspection for blackening or other evidence of heat. If you find anything I’d go over the AC on the whole boat, change the receptacles. I’d also add a GFCI to the first receptacle in the circuit if you don’t have one already.

I’d also check your shorepower socket at the boat.

Tags
charger, shore power