Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2013, 17:15   #1

Macgregor 26 Sailboat

I would like to know anyone who has had a Macgregor 26 2011 or newer model sailboat and could give me their opinion of it. I would like to purchase a sailboat to live aboard at the local marina for months at a time and just go out for short cruises and anchoring overnight close by. I was seriously thinking about the Hunter but living in hurricane territory, I thought it would be easier to move around the Mcgregor with the water balast as opposed to the weight with the Hunter and a heavy keel. I would also like to know how the Mcgregor handles with the water balast as opposed to the keel. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
pc shore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 19:18   #2

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Pretty cozy below on an M26, but if you OK w that then could work.

Not a bad idea to haul it for hurricane season.

I used to use an older M26 for teaching basic sailing and it sailed surprisingly well.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 19:37   #3

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders
Re: Macgregor 26 Sailboat

Some years ago a friend had one, purchased it new, the one with the water ballast. He got stuck outside New Bedford, MA hurricane barrier with a puny outboard and a 25+knot wind blowing in his face. He had to call a tow boat to get back to his mooring!

Now, I watched this thing from the shore so I cannot tell you how he the sails were set other than to point out he could make zero headway into the wind with both his engine and sail.

With the price of GOOD boats in today's market, personally I would look for something else.

I am into my second boat, a Silverton 40 aftcabin completely canvas enclosed. My previous boat was a 1979 Hunter 30. I would NOT want to live on my old Hunter and my 40 is good for a few weeks and thats it.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-04-2013, 20:30   #4

Boat: `99 Beneteau Oceanis 352, #282 s/v Witchcraft

I am a former owner of a MacGregor 26M, water ballasted "power sailor". The boat is built and sold bare bones with the intent that the owner will add those upgrades that meet his/her specific needs. It is a hybrid boat that performs "OK" as a sailboat and "OK" as a power boat. Our boat had a 50 HP outboard on the stern and could power its way thru just about anything.

The boat is kinda tender under sail in winds over 15 kts. We had, and enjoyed, the boat for four years. It proved to be unsuitable for the open waters of Lake Michigan and the Admiral insisted I get a bigger boat if we intended to go off shore (cross to the Michigan side of the lake).

If it is your intent to use it as your living accomodations (a single person) then it will be suitable for the use you have indicated. Know that it will be tender (heel) rapidly in a puff and this makes some people uncomfortable (i.e.: my wife).

Know that the basic boat design hasn't changed at all over the last 7+ years so a 2006 26M model will be essentially the same as a 2011 26M model.
MSN-Travelers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-04-2013, 18:09   #5

Thank you for the feed back. This is a great place to come for information. I want to get the right boat for what I plan to use it for, but I also find it important to do your homework.
pc shore is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
macgregor, sailboat