Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2020, 08:57   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Moody 41
Madeira

Hi all, we are currently anchored behind Culatra off Faro, Portugal. We have been on anchor for 2 weeks and not allowed ashore. I spoke with the maritime police a few times and they said we had to stay on board indefinitely, possibly a month, possibly longer. There are 4 boats here in the same situation. We were given the number of a fisherman who can go and get groceries and deliver them to us, and we are allowed into the dock at Olhao to top off tanks. Currently there is no end in sight for this stay on board order.

I just heard back from the marina in Madeira who said once we arrive and have been on anchor for 2 weeks, we can come into the marina and tie up. Then we are allowed ashore for shopping, exercise, pharmacy etc. This being the case we are looking at the option to sail there and do the 2 weeks. At least after that we can get ashore to organise our own shopping and stretch our legs, plus just to get off the boat which is getting smaller by the day.

I was wondering if anyone on here is currently in Madeira, and how the situation looks from there at present. Thanks in advance, stay safe.
Darren
dnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 10:02   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Madeira

Which marina in Madeira, to the best of my memory they are all on the S coast with relatively unsheltered anchorages to storms from the SW and this is the time of year some heavy stuff starts coming in till May.
I would suggest you contact the marina again and find out how well sheltered their anchorage is and if you would be allowed to enter for safety in bad weather..
Also maybe contact these guys for confirmation on the quarantine side.. links on page.
http://www.visitmadeira.pt/en-gb/use...tors-(covid-19)
It'd be a bummer to go there and find the same as Olhau.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds him the 30 piece's of Silver..
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 10:59   #3

Boat: Pearson 367
Re: Madeira

Can't speak to the situation currently but the marina in Porto Santo is inside a good breakwater and has a good anchorage inside as well. This time of year the marina would be empty as it was full of Europeans waiting to get to the Caribbean when I was there (December '17). One thing to consider is that during an event like this, supply chains can be disrupted and it's always better to be on the mainland rather than an isolated island.
LLCoolDave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2020, 12:02   #4
Marine Service Provider

Thanks guys. We are yet to hear back from Porto Santo. The marina that responded was Marina do Funchal. They reported that we can take fuel with them, and food supplies through a supplier they are sending the details of through. The anchorage behind the breakwater looks to be open from the SW, and reported quite rolly in anything from W to the S. On Monday we will be asking the Maritime Police here if they can give us something stating that we have been on anchor for the past 2 weeks and not ashore. They check on a daily basis here. I will ask them regarding the anchorage and see what comes back.
Cheers
Old 28-03-2020, 13:23   #5
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

I know the anchorage at Funchal and as you state its wide open W to SE.. have not been there since before a big storm wiped out the marina several years back so maybe its better now than it was.. used to be a pit but the people were friendly.
Can you not take the dinghy to the E end off Culatra to stretch your legs on the beach, it should be deserted this time of year.

Old 29-03-2020, 08:37   #6
Marine Service Provider

We had thought about that. But so far, twice the maritime police have come past in their boat and told us in no uncertain terms that if we step foot on any land, dock, beach, island, then we will be arrested. Whether or not they would take it that far who knows, but I'm reluctant to push that one.
Old 29-03-2020, 09:01   #7
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Don't.. They can be real sods, like Spain they still have echoes of the old dictatorship.

Tags
Madeira