Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-09-2020, 14:26   #16

Boat: Shannon Shoalsailer
Re: Marathon to Florida west coast

We cruise this route each year in spring down to Marathon and usually back from Dry Tortugas. I concur with the advice on stops and routes other have shared. Note if you do stop at Little Shark River (bug capital of the world) and take your dog to muddy shore at low tide, beware of alligators.

More importantly, cruisers should be aware of new requirements for boating and anchoring in the Park. (https://www.nps.gov/ever/planyourvis...grulesregs.htm) Completion of a simple on-line education program is required. Not sure about the fees - calling the park last year I got varying answers. Not really a problem if you have a Golden Eagle Pass. We've rarely seen the Park Rangers and have never been greeted by them or the Florida Fish and Wildlife Commission.

The coast of Everglades Park and Ten Thousand Islands is a remote, wild place with lots to explore - but shallow and not a lot of fully protected anchorages. The back waterway from Gulllivan Bay to Goodland/Marco is and interesting trip as is the inland route from Marco through the Rookery Bay National Estuarine Research Reserve to Naples.

Good Luck!
Bay Breeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-09-2020, 15:26   #17

Boat: Caliber 38
Re: Marathon to Florida west coast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davy J View Post
I'll just add that we eventually trained our dogs to go on a wee wee pad on the foredeck.

Life changing, we no longer have to worry about going to shore at all.

It took quite some time, but they finally got it. We now leave a pad up there held down by dive weights, the dogs go when ever they want.
Years ago on a different boat I kept a 2x5 ft piece of sod on the foredeck during the summer. My yellow lab loved it and used it long after the green grass was dead from the salt water wash down. He was able to go anytime . Worked well especially on passages.
The only time I had an issue was with custom into Canada. They did not like the fact I was bringing vegetation into the country. The officer eventually let us keep it. Made the dog happy.

Tags
florida, west coast