Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2015, 08:09   #76
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Marina fees, common or gauging?

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
Your comments Might be "germane" if the Original Poster/Questioner were in California, but he/she is not but is in southwest Florida; and, if your citation were relevant/applicable but it is not.
Oh, I didn't realize you were the arbiter of relevant thread content. And apparently the 4th grade spelling bee champion as well.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 23:45   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post

I have been in the boat maintenance business for over twenty years. You have not. I have never seen a single instance where the marina was dragged into a dispute between a service provider and a mutual client, simply by dint of the marina allowing the service provider access to the boat. Have you?

I've seen a few. Customers seem to forget that the marina is only letting the service providers in and when there are problems, they complain tot he marina. Technically you are correct but in real life not so much.

Again, nobody is setting up shop. If I come in, spend 30 or 40 minutes cleaning a boat bottom and then leave, how is that "setting up shop"? It's not, plain and simple.

Certainly it is setting up shop. No you don't build a building on site but you are working on the marina property.
It may not be common in your area but it is in many areas. Ultimately it's the marina's choice. But there should be no expectation from the service providers end that they should be allowed to come in and work in a private establishment without paying for the right to do so. Some marinas may allow it as a benefit to their customers but that is a buisness decision to be made by the marina.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2015, 23:52   #78
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by valhalla360 View Post
Certainly it is setting up shop. No you don't build a building on site but you are working on the marina property.
Please define "setting up shop." Because that is a ridiculous statement.
Old 05-12-2015, 04:43   #79

Capitalism at work. Like suggested by others, take the boat to the provider or change marinas.

If you use in house, approved providers, the cut is already buried in the bill.
twinboat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2015, 05:37   #80
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Quote:
..the marina provides nothing that it is not already being paid for by the tenant. Especially if the service provider is required to name the marina as an additional insured (which is often the case.)
See ➥ You, the shipyard and your insurance policy —

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:37   #81
CHM

Boat: Beneteau Moorings 432

At Harbortown Marina in Merritt Island, there is a $25 daily yard fee for outside contractors. At my current marina in Ponce Inlet, there is no fee. If you don't like your current marinas fees, shop around and move.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
CHM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 07:47   #82

Boat: Catalina 320

I stopped to see a friend at a DIY marina here in Ft. Lauderdale. Posted on the front gate, all outside contractors to have insurance and pay $25 fee.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHM View Post
At Harbortown Marina in Merritt Island, there is a $25 daily yard fee for outside contractors. At my current marina in Ponce Inlet, there is no fee. If you don't like your current marinas fees, shop around and move.

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Drift Woods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:07   #83

Boat: 1987 Cabo Rico 38 #117 (sold) & 2008 Manta 42 #124

Quote:
Originally Posted by a64pilot View Post
.... but if he installs equipment you bring in, who is responsible when and or if it doesn't work? Who pays for the trouble shooting to ensure it's bad equipment and not a bad install?
Still, I work on and update software that is written a long time ago. If I take on the role of updating software that I think is problematic, I charge a rate that commensurate with the risk that I determine then build into the contract risk mitigation and scope of responsibilities. We make a lot of money of off high-risk contracts because I know my skill level and am confident in my risk management and scoping skills. If the client doesn't like the price they are perfectly welcome to get additional bids from someone else.

The marinas collect no business intelligence, all their risk management skills is tribal knowledge so if that "one guy" that knows "x" leaves, all that knowledge goes with him. Management and owners have no way of looking at a boat and gauging risk because they don't make the effort of collecting the data necessary to gauge that risk. Their solution is to gouge their clients.

The ABYC is a partial solution to the problem but ABYC doesn't take into account all the nuances necessary for project estimation.
zboss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:40   #84

Quote:
Please define "setting up shop." Because that is a ridiculous statement.
You can call it whatever you like. I'm not going to go down the semantics rabbit hole like some others got sucked into with the marina vs boat yard debate.

I'm certain you know exactly what I mean as does everyone else.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2015, 08:56   #85

Boat: Dufour 35 1973

I know what you want to say but I do not agree with the underlying reasoning.
Vipe6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2015, 15:14   #86
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Quote:
You can call it whatever you like. I'm not going to go down the semantics rabbit hole like some others got sucked into with the marina vs boat yard debate.

I was sucked in there yup.

But I learned a couple things--it really does seem like east coast folks use the term marina to mean boatyard frequently-- like what's a DIY marina? just saw that mentioned above. Makes a bit of sense because on the east coast there seems to be a lot more hauling out going on (weather freezing, huricane, whatever) than here on the west coast where boats can stay in the water for years and years in their marina. More blended lines, I suppose on the east coast.

On the money--if they (the marina) can gouge you, I do think they will. I must add if I were a marina owner, I'd want a quality check on which service providers are working in my marina--making sure they have proper licenses, liability insurance, etc, would be what I'd care about more so than taking a cut of their profits. I wouldn't check it all out for free though--I'd probably charge a fee to investigate them (hum maybe that's the $25 fee that some marinas charge?)

Some vendors have been known to fake their insurance documents, so forth. I would certainly charge the time for my hours looking into whether service providers have got all their permits and such in order.
Old 07-12-2015, 15:30   #87
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:

Call it what I like? You made the statement, not me. I find it interesting that you refuse to explain what you meant by it.

Tell me, is the gardner who mows your lawn twice a month "setting up shop" at your house? How about the plumber who fixes your toilet? Why aren't you charging them for the priviledge of coming onto your property to provide a service for which they will be paid? How are either of those two examples different from somebody going into a marina to wash a boat?
Old 07-12-2015, 15:46   #88

Boat: Seafarer36c

Even in Guatemala marinas charge the service guys a fee. The reefer guy charged me an additional 25Q because that's what he had to pay when he checked in.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2015, 10:08   #89
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

All-

It was pointed out to me this morning by a moderator that I misquoted Schooner Chandlery earlier in this thread (he of course, had accused me of it here, but even upon re-reading the posts, I didn't catch my error.) I had manually typed the quote in question and apparently switched a couple of words, which was unintentional, I assure you.

I have apologized to him privately and I do so again here, publically.

Matt Peterson
Old 11-12-2015, 09:59   #90
Marine Service Provider

Boat: SS Crocker design #131

Tis the season of good cheer and your apology is accepted, fstbttms. Now calling me "him" that's another thing

Happy holidays,
Brenda

Tags
fees