Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2022, 06:35   #16
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Marina recommendations - Florida Atlantic coast

We are at Cape Marina, Port Canaveral. Tied to 4 anchors around the boat with ratchet straps and halyards.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 07:51   #17

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

I'll second Indiantown marina for hurricane storage. Their travel lift crew is the best I've ever seen. The front office does a good job of scheduling. The service department is nothing but incompetent idiots.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 09:55   #18

Boat: Brewer 44' Steel

Harbourtown Marina in Ft Pierce does on the hard storage and Cracker Boy Boat Works is right next door and allows DYI. Both off Taylor Creek Right at Ft P inlet. For in the water dockage, Telemar Bay Mairna in Indian Harbour Beach is a great hurricane hole been there 22 years and through everything that came through Florida in those years. NEVER a problem.
Old 07-04-2022, 10:54   #19

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
My experience with Tiger Point is that their accounting person can be very ‘creative’ in their billing..
You may be right about that, our experience was ok there, but like any Marina - they ain't cheap !

I would say that a haulout and tiedown for a season should be pretty straightforward. And it is pretty secure too.
Old 07-04-2022, 13:09   #20

Boat: Catalina 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Siberian Sea View Post
Took my boat one hurricane season to Indiantown Marina in southern Florida. The marina is located about 30 miles from the coast up a fresh water channel. There are two bridges you need to clear under that are around 50-55 feet as I recall. You then pass through a small set of locks that brings you about 15 feet above sea level. The marina has a very large storage yard and a DIY work yard. All boats are required to remove sails and be secured down at all four corners with 4 inch ratchet straps. There full time staff monitors the ongoing weather and management of the vessel tie downs in the event of storms. One nice thing is your entire engine cooling system gets a freshwater flush as you motor up the channel. If you cannot clear under the fixed bridge there is a professional guy who can come and put water bag weights on your mast to list your vessel to port or starboard and take you under. The Marina has this guys contact info. My mast was 48 feet and I cleared no problems at low tide.
The service of tipping your boat by the guy you mentioned has not been available for years. He retired and no one is doing this anymore.
karista is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2022, 17:08   #21

Try Loveridge yacht services at Harbortown Marina in Ft Pierce, FL
Stmurray62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 06:40   #22

Boat: Nordship 38
Send a message via ICQ to jbrasseul

Sunset Bay Marina in Stuart. The best I found.
https://jbrasseul.wordpress.com/2012...et-bay-marina/
jbrasseul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 07:14   #23

Boat: Lagoon 410

If your boat has a mast height that is ICW friendly, less than 65’, than i would recommend reynolds park yacht center in green cove springs, it is south of jacksonville, 20 miles from the ocean on a fresh water river, you get the bonus of rincing your engines while you are going there. And there is no storm surge in case of a hurricane, the safest place i found for my boat. The rates are very reasonable and they can haul big catamarans, they tie down for hurricane season.
Look them up.
Reynolds Park Yacht Center
sstj29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 07:17   #24
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i was going to recommend Brunswick Landing Marina in GA ..
Too much $$$ and has security issues.
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 07:52   #25

Boat: Cape Dory 36 - Alethis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
Westland Boatyard & Marina in Titusville, FL has tie downs. Also a well protected marina.
I'm going into the boatyard at Westland in Titusville. I was told I got their last spot.
meauxsull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 08:35   #26

Indiantown near lake Ocheechobee for storage, dry or wet. Private docks way,way,way up new river in fort Lauderdale (west of hyway 95) Riverland road, are good.
drdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 10:16   #27

Marineland about 15 miles south of St Augustine. It is a small but very nice marina. The manager, Eric, is quite good. He will insist on non-acid cleaners for your boat. The barrier island that highway A1A runs on is very narrow there so you are docked on floating docks but only a couple hundred yards from the Atlantic Ocean. Between the marina and the ocean is the Marineland Facility where they started training and studying dolphins in 1935 and now emphasize turtle studies. The facility is build on cocina (cemented calcareous shells) so it is great barrier to the ocean waves, more than just sand dune. Docks are good quality and can handle an 8 ft storm surge, but that is about it. Our insurance for our $300k cat was pricey in Florida, about $8500/yr, required layup for the hurricane season. I wasn’t even allowed to leave the dock during “layup”. Full amount due to start policy and double the $16 deductible for a named storm….

I sold my cat in January for mainly that reason and now I am looking for a cheaper monohull with two private cabins…the first cat owner to go back to a mono?? I would love to find an older Nauticat 37 or38, but most quality monos with two private cabins could work.

Checkout Marineland
Ken
bullislandken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-04-2022, 18:08   #28

Boat: Morgan 34

I have been a long distance customer at Tiger Point over several years and two boats and I love the place. Sometimes the bill makes my you-know-what pucker up but I never viewed their accounting as creative. They are honest and up front about fees. And in my opinion a good value. As a disclaimer I have no financial interest in the place. I've used Indiantown also with acceptable results but much prefer Tiger Point for numerous reasons. Message me if you want more info.
chriswheat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 09:04   #29

Boat: Carver Santego

Not on the coast but not too far is Indiantown Marina.
Inland so no chance of swell during a hurricane. Tie downs.
Nothing fancy. Also has a DIY yard.
Engine also gets a freshwater flush on your way up the river.
Craig_B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-04-2022, 14:50   #30

Boat: Swallow Craft, Swift 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig_B View Post
Not on the coast but not too far is Indiantown Marina.
Inland so no chance of swell during a hurricane. Tie downs.
Nothing fancy. Also has a DIY yard.
Engine also gets a freshwater flush on your way up the river.
Stayed in Indiantown marina thru several hurricane seasons. Their travel lift crew is one of the best I've ever witnessed. The Front office does a commendable job of keeping things moving. The service department varies between idiocy and incompetent. Hard to believe they are part of the same company. Just my experience's.
cottonsail is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, men