Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-04-2022, 06:17   #1

Boat: Beneteau, 41ft monohul
Marina recommendations - Florida Atlantic coast

I am a Canadian heading to the Bahamas and I need to find a marina in the Atlantic coast of Florida for next Hurricane Season. I have a 41 ft Monohull. Do all marinas in that area have tie down capability and staff that monitor the boats? What should I be looking for, any and all advise is welcome.
Bourne Free is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:30   #2

Boat: Hunter 380
Re: Marina recommendations - Florida Atlantic coast

You may want to consider Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona Beach. It has a well earned reputation as the "safest marina from hurricanes, in Florida." Just remember......"safe from hurricanes" ......is not totally true, no matter where you are.
Tom Boles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:36   #3

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

I can start with some answers if you have never been, but there is wide diversity in services, availability, and of course, costs. Your insurance will probably require (and good seamanship demands) a hurricane plan, which may involve pulling and tie-down, or just doubling the lines at a dock. Hurricanes are not like snowstorms in that years go by without any impact. The further south in Florida, the higher likelihood of a hurricane strike - once every seven years in Miami, once every 21 years in Jacksonville, if I remember correctly. Most marinas that will pull a boat have either in-ground anchors (nice) or large concrete blocks (less nice) for securing boats with straps or line. This is the safest method, but not a guarantee that a flying telephone pole or the next boat over will not land on you (sorry, it is a lot of force involved). Most marinas have very limited space for hurricanes, so you need to get on their list - for a price about $1 - 2,000 annually, plus up to $1,000 for the actual pulling, strapping, splashing. Insurance may pay part of this, but probably not the cost for getting on a list. The lists fill up fast, and you are within 60 days of the start of the hurricane season. Active Captain is a good source to selecting a marina, but you will need to make a bunch of phone calls.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 06:45   #4
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Boles View Post
You may want to consider Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona Beach. It has a well earned reputation as the "safest marina from hurricanes, in Florida." Just remember......"safe from hurricanes" ......is not totally true, no matter where you are.
Agreed..even our boat insurance premium went down having our boat here instead of up in Ga…but who knows what the future will bring..

Clay AA3JY
s/v Tango
Halifax Harbor Marina
Daytona Beach,Fl
AA3JY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 08:28   #5

Thanks for the replies, I will only need to be on the hard from September to Dec. Not sure if that makes any difference.
Old 06-04-2022, 08:33   #6

Would the Chesapeake Bay area be safer or easier to find a spot for Hurricane Season?
Old 06-04-2022, 08:34   #7
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

i was going to recommend Brunswick Landing Marina in GA .. but also a couple of marinas up the St. Johns river in Jacksonville.
Old 06-04-2022, 10:57   #8

Westland Boatyard & Marina in Titusville, FL has tie downs. Also a well protected marina.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2022, 11:51   #9

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 32

Tiger Point Marina in Fernandina Beach, Florida will haul you out and strap you down for hurricane season. We bought our boat from their yard, where it had sat through last years' season. It was in fine shape, no issues.

Old 07-04-2022, 02:46   #10
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by gonesail View Post
i was going to recommend Brunswick Landing Marina in GA ..
Read the multiple negative reviews on Yelp and AC
Old 07-04-2022, 04:03   #11

Boat: Cal-40

Took my boat one hurricane season to Indiantown Marina in southern Florida. The marina is located about 30 miles from the coast up a fresh water channel. There are two bridges you need to clear under that are around 50-55 feet as I recall. You then pass through a small set of locks that brings you about 15 feet above sea level. The marina has a very large storage yard and a DIY work yard. All boats are required to remove sails and be secured down at all four corners with 4 inch ratchet straps. There full time staff monitors the ongoing weather and management of the vessel tie downs in the event of storms. One nice thing is your entire engine cooling system gets a freshwater flush as you motor up the channel. If you cannot clear under the fixed bridge there is a professional guy who can come and put water bag weights on your mast to list your vessel to port or starboard and take you under. The Marina has this guys contact info. My mast was 48 feet and I cleared no problems at low tide.
Siberian Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 04:10   #12
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by AA3JY View Post
Read the multiple negative reviews on Yelp and AC

I knew things had changed a bit. sounds like they have changed a lot
Old 07-04-2022, 04:46   #13

Boat: Irwin 46 CC
Send a message via Skype™ to PuttingDoctor

As mentioned above I highly recommend Halifax Harbor Marina in Daytona. I’m on J dock.
The sheltered floating docks of our south basin are recognized as a hurricane hole by many insurance companies.
I’ve had 2 boats over 7 years here and have not had to move for any storm. Just strip all windage and pull the boat into the middle of the slip.
For storage on the hard you can go up to the St. John’s and haul out at Green Cove Springs if you feel it’s worth the cost vs keeping your boat here.
Daytona International is 5 minutes away with Delta and American service by air.
Old 07-04-2022, 05:35   #14

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Second for Tiger Point
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2022, 06:30   #15
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldManMirage View Post
Tiger Point Marina in Fernandina Beach, Florida will haul you out and strap you down for hurricane season. We bought our boat from their yard, where it had sat through last years' season. It was in fine shape, no issues.

My experience with Tiger Point is that their accounting person can be very ‘creative’ in their billing..

Tags
florida, men