Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-03-2022, 18:11   #1

Marina Slip Costs

I live in the midwest and I'm planning to buy a 34' monohull (ideally a PS34) soon to keep in FL. I've considered St Pete or Punta Gorda based on research. I'm leaning towards Punta Gorda and I reached out to Burnt Store Marina about pricing. The total costs to keep my boat there if I pay annually is going to be $577/month plus electric, so approximately $7,200/year. Very little knowledge about slip fees. Is that a fair price? According to the St. Pete Municipal Marina's website the cost there would be around $410/month.

My plan is to be there for a long weekend each month, then spend about a month in the summer cruising, and then a few full weeks scattered throughout the year.

Any suggestions for locations and marinas?
somebeach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 19:30   #2

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38
Re: Marina Slip Costs

St Pete municipal marina is one of the cheapest around and as such has about a two year waiting list. Twin Dolphin marina in bradenton and Regatta Point in Palmetto are pretty representative of average cost marinas. Check out Apollo Beach, Port Charlott and Fort Myers also .

Where are you going to be living?
Old 16-03-2022, 20:09   #3

Thanks for that info. I'll be living on the boat whenever I'm there. With it being so infrequent I'm hoping that wouldn't be considered "Live aboard." Burnt Store has as $150/month additional charge for Live Aboards but I'm assuming that's full time.
Old 16-03-2022, 20:20   #4

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Never assume anything, call to clarify, it saves a lot of last minute anguish.
All of my friends who live in Florida store their boats on the hard over the summer as it is too hot and humid for comfortable use and there is the real threat of tropical storms.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-03-2022, 20:44   #5

Boat: Sabre 34 , Island Packet 38

Will you be flying in to go boating? Will you have a car here? Taxi costs could get to be an issue.
Old 17-03-2022, 06:19   #6

There are so many marinas around Florida that the competition prevents anyone from charging exorbitant rates. Generally, if it costs more then it is because the amenities are better. Also, of course, some areas are more expensive than others (SE Florida being the most expensive).

As for liveaboard charges, most marinas that I'm aware of will allow you to spend 8 or 10 nights per month before they consider you a "liveaboard." So, if you come down here and spend three weeks living on the boat, technically they will consider you a liveaboard for that month. Of course, if you are a good tenant, always pay on time, keep your boat in good condition, and only come down a couple of times per year, they may cut you slack on that. It just depends on the marina, the manager, and your relationship with them.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 06:44   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO409

$1056/month + electric in New Jersey for my 39-foot Jeanneau Sun Odyssey.

I know it's not Florida, but thought I'd chime in for comparison
Cool Hand Luke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 07:29   #8

I pay $4,300 for 6 months in Rhode Island. This includes water, electric and Wifi.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2022, 17:49   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
Never assume anything, call to clarify, it saves a lot of last minute anguish.
All of my friends who live in Florida store their boats on the hard over the summer as it is too hot and humid for comfortable use and there is the real threat of tropical storms.
Is it that unbearable there in the summer? I live in the mid-west where it gets hot and humid.

Quote:
Originally Posted by pesarsten View Post
Will you be flying in to go boating? Will you have a car here? Taxi costs could get to be an issue.
This is a good point. Yes, I will be flying in and taking an uber. I have lots of credit card points I can use but at some point those will run out I'm sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
There are so many marinas around Florida that the competition prevents anyone from charging exorbitant rates. Generally, if it costs more then it is because the amenities are better. Also, of course, some areas are more expensive than others (SE Florida being the most expensive).

As for liveaboard charges, most marinas that I'm aware of will allow you to spend 8 or 10 nights per month before they consider you a "liveaboard." So, if you come down here and spend three weeks living on the boat, technically they will consider you a liveaboard for that month. Of course, if you are a good tenant, always pay on time, keep your boat in good condition, and only come down a couple of times per year, they may cut you slack on that. It just depends on the marina, the manager, and your relationship with them.
Good points. Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cool Hand Luke View Post
$1056/month + electric in New Jersey for my 39-foot Jeanneau Sun Odyssey.

I know it's not Florida, but thought I'd chime in for comparison
Thanks. That does help put it in perspective.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrew View Post
I pay $4,300 for 6 months in Rhode Island. This includes water, electric and Wifi.
Thanks. Sounds like the price I was quoted isn't so bad.
Old 17-03-2022, 17:59   #10
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Our marina with the waiting list is about $350 a month, and our largest (most services) runs about $425.

On the hard during the summer? I've never heard of it here in North Florida. It gets hot, sure, but there's a breeze all the time. It's the two weeks when winter occurs and the nights dip below 45 F that the boating drops off.
Old 17-03-2022, 18:13   #11
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

North Florida.....it's getting pricey these days....average $17/ft for yearly contract....so $568 for your boat....plus taxes, environmental fee....electric hookup, etc ..probably close to $700 by the time the dust settles...you will also need liability insurance..
South Florida and the Keys is a lot more...about $23/ft....about $1,000/month all in for your boat...
If you are a liveaboard, prices will be more. Figure another $200 or so....
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-03-2022, 13:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

I don't get the marina pricing these days....not so along slip fees were substantially less, but every slip had a boat in it...our area marina is 2/3 empty now..
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote