Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2022, 10:04   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Marina Trash (people)

This is about trash at the marina. Being people, not refuse. I’m not sure what happened this week, but I’ve had a few bad events at the marina. I’m just sharing these to vent. Curious if anybody else has noticed a change in the population along the lines of what I’m seeing.

1: There is toxic algae and smoke here that really bothers my respiratory system and all of those health issues I have. I was on a walk with my girlfriend passing a boater who was out working and gave him a friendly hello. His response was that of disgust saying he thought I was trying to rob him because I had a mask on so I could breathe normally that day.

2: a boat neighbor from Miami has a couple friends out. I find one of them peeing on my shore power cord. I confront him and he yells at ME about it saying it’s no big deal. And threatens me, screaming at me and walks at me to try to start a fight.

3: Today a lady has her dog off leash running around. She always has the dog off leash and it drags the leash around as it generally follows where she’s going. . It’s a black lab so I don’t worry too much about it, but it’s a direct violation of our marina contract that can result in Marina privileges being revoked. Today, as she’s walking back she actually does have it on the leash. But she allows the dog to pee on my motorcycle!!! I confront her about it and she’s the one yelling at me about how I’m narrow minded. And gets very aggressive.

We have a serious problem in the population lately it seems. Courtesy? Respect? Remorse for doing something wrong? None.
Old 23-02-2022, 10:07   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Marina Trash (people)

Unfortunately there are quite a lot of jerks in the world. And you're in a part of the world I'd generally associate with having a generally higher concentration of those unpleasant people.
Old 23-02-2022, 10:10   #3

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Unfortunately there are quite a lot of jerks in the world. And you're in a part of the world I'd generally associate with having a generally higher concentration of those unpleasant people.
It’s funny. I had never had any issue at this marina before. None. I’ve been here a few seasons now. It’s in the middle of nowhere. Everybody has been friendly, helpful. Kind. You name it. I really like it. But these few people this week. Very strange stuff.

I mean, in both cases they were plenty of other places to pee. There are several Porta potty’s, the marina restrooms, the head at the boat. And for the dog, probably 100 acres of other places besides my motorcycle to pee.

I guess what really gets me is their mentality. If I had done any of those things to someone, I would have a kind of look of horror at my mistake. And I would have been extremely apologetic. Instead, they got aggressive. Very strange reaction. I understand people are under some kind of pandemic pressures or something, but, civility? Manners? Remorse? Gone.
Old 23-02-2022, 10:12   #4

Boat: Hunter Marine 38

Covid confinement has resulted in abnormal reactions to normal situations in a lot of people.
Old 23-02-2022, 10:12   #5
CLOD

Boat: none

the problem is that aholes are aholes and mostly know it and don't care to the point of trying it make it about you being an ahole when you call them out about being an ahole
Old 23-02-2022, 10:15   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Oh Lordy.....you've opened a can of worms there....since the Covid lockdowns started a year or two ago, I've also found people to be more rude, selfish and disrespectful than I've ever experienced. I hear this from several people.

I have no answer to this phenomena...find that I keep to myself mostly these days. I think folks have lived in isolation for so long, that they think the world revolves around them.

Curious to know what others think.
Old 23-02-2022, 10:18   #7

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by MicHughV View Post
Oh Lordy.....you've opened a can of worms there....since the Covid lockdowns started a year or two ago, I've also found people to be more rude, selfish and disrespectful than I've ever experienced. I hear this from several people.

I have no answer to this phenomena...find that I keep to myself mostly these days. I think folks have lived in isolation for so long, that they think the world revolves around them.

Curious to know what others think.

I've found the same. Particularly with certain activities like driving. For the most part, boating has been a good escape from it when away from the more heavily populated areas. In the areas with tons of new idiots running around in boats, it's downright unpleasant and like nothing I've ever seen.
Old 23-02-2022, 11:05   #8

Why would you let your dog pee on someone’s motorcycle? That’s just weird. “Don’t pee on people’s stuff” is a pretty normal standard to enforce.
Old 23-02-2022, 11:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
the problem is that aholes are aholes and mostly know it and don't care to the point of trying it make it about you being an ahole when you call them out about being an ahole
Yep. I have NEVER seen a situation where calling someone out for either lacking situational awareness, or having a complete disregard for how their behavior impacts others, never turns out the way it does in your head.
Old 23-02-2022, 12:07   #10

Boat: Milkraft 60 ex trawler

Dirt people <shudders>
Old 23-02-2022, 12:25   #11

I would have told the dog owned that the dogs urine destroys the chrome finish on my 2000. Dollar front wheel ,my attorney will be sending her the bill to replace it
Old 23-02-2022, 12:35   #12

Boat: Morgan Moorings 50

What marina is this? Sounds like mine! Lmao
Old 23-02-2022, 12:50   #13

Boat: Island Packet 40

What brand of motorcycle is it?
Old 23-02-2022, 12:51   #14

Boat: Bayfield 36

I think this may be a pandemic-induced social-media-addiction side effect where one can post anything, argue, insult, bully, abuse... without fear of a knuckle sandwich.

Witness the frequent airline brawls.

Remains to be seen if these folks can merge back into civil society.

Dennis
s/v Ferrity
Old 23-02-2022, 12:51   #15
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

My mother takes her dogs to training,so they can get "socialized" ie sit,walk,stay and not bite other dogs......... sounds like humans being stuck in kennels for 2 years could do with some of the same.
Closed Thread