Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:04   #1
TOM

Boat: Footloose 40 steel cutter
Marinas in Rio or Salvador

Has anyone got any info on prices and quality of marinas in Brazil . I have looked on google but all the info is in portugese. We are on the west coast of Africa {Luderitz} and will be leaving for St Helena with the next weather window hope to arrive Rio mid march. I need to be on a marina as my parents will be visiting us from Australia any recomendations would be great.

www.byamee.com
TOM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:13   #2

Boat: F&C 44, 44ft
Hi,
3 marinas at Salvador, 1 municipal and 1 private at continent, municipal is often crowded, the other very expensive. The third , municipal too , is located at the island of Itaparica, it is better and cheaper, can go to cost by ferry
Only one and extremely expensive at Rio. Nearby about 60 miles is located Isla Grande area with a lot of marinas and 365 islands, try there Port Bracuhi
Prices at internet, but in general more expensive than other countries
Victor
victorraies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 17:43   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Re: Marinas in Rio or Salvador.

Noonsite has a quite a few entries.
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 20:16   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Lyle C. Hess owner built 29'6" cutter
Re: Marinas in Rio or Salvador.

If you want to be close to Rio airport, you have four choices. We stayed in Marina del Gloria because it was near my cousins home and found it clean and close to town with very good security. But other friends found they really like the quieter atmosphere found the Naval Yacht Club in Niteroi far friendlier and safer area for walking after dark.

But our very favorite marina was at Brachuy, about two hours south of Rio. If we were having visitors we would like them to see the area called Isla Grande and Brachuy marina is right in the center. Can't tell you anything about prices, but once you get there you might find other places in the Isla grande area which are less expensive than this more formal Marina. Hope you enjoy the area as much as we did.
Lin Pardey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 12:22   #5

Re: Marinas in Rio or Salvador

Hi Tom:

I went to times in Salvador and made a little nautic wide about the area.
The best option is the TENAB, next the nautic terminal of ferry and tourist cruisers.
Mi article is in spanish but Google tranlator help.
You can get the tracks for Garmin and OziExplorer.

Garmin and OziExplorer." target="_blank">This-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-is-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-the-IRJDSUNE9932123321222xxeww-link
Also I have the photogalery of the acces, if can help let me know.
Take care with the bureaucracy when arrive ( Policia Federal, Custom and Capitania (Costguard ).

Wetdoc
Wetdoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 13:25   #6
Pusher of String

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Trisbal 42, Aluminum Cutter Rigged Sloop
We spent two years in brazil, but alas never went to Salvador so can only help you with the rio part.

Brace yourself, everything boatish is expensive in brazil. The marinas can be shockingly expensive we have seen prices in the Bahia de Ilya grande area over 150€/night. But like anywhere there are solutions and you will find the brazilians, and the Argentinians, there are tons of argies in the rio area, to be lovely and helpful.

In rio proper there are two marinas that are affordable and one of them is also, for us the best marina.

When you come into the bay ahead and to the left is rio proper, it is not cheap here. Marina da Gloria for example is in a great location with incredible night markets on Thursdays but for a boat our size at 42' it cost 50€/day.

On the right side of the bay when you enter is Niteroi. It is like an oasis compared to rio proper. The yacht club is a naval club called i think clube de naval and is ridiculously cheap and full of amenities. We stayed on the hook and paid 3€/day and im not sure but it might even have been 3real per day to have access to the facilities. We have kids and they were in heaven. They have everything, pool with waterslide, playgrounds, great food, gym, salon, evening entertainment. There are many expats in this marina and a great social group. The city is very upmarket and have a great upscale market for all the supplies you could imagine, but like I said brazil is expensive so don't be surprised at costs of food and booze.

There is an hourly high speed ferry, 20 minutes, that takes you right into the best part of downtown rio as well.

If you want something more exotic for your folks, take you boat to angry dos reis in bahia da Ilha grande about 60 miles west. You have the best cruising ground on the east coast of south america in this area.

If you go to angra when you enter the bay on the right is a marina called Marinas Y Condominios. Free to anchor and about 1 real/ft per day to tie up. There is a very good and large market a 5 minute dingy ride from the anchorage. There is a dingy dock, shopping as well and great restaurants. So many beautiful day sails to any of the 365 islands in this bay I wouldn't know where to start. We used this as a base for a long time while we explored. We also had family come out, my wife's parents and some other family and used this as a base.

One thing...if you are looking to go north it is a seriously hard slog to go north around cabo frio all the way until past recife as the winds and current are defo not your friend. Would still highly recommend Bahia grande as something to not miss, you can spend months and months in this bay.

Pm me if you want any more info.

"You will do foolish things, but do them with enthusiasm."
Sidonie Gabrielle Colette
foolishsailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
marinas