Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2014, 09:23   #16

Boat: csy 37
Re: Marinas Think We Are Chickens For Plucking

Also, I'm with the guys who say $340 is a fair price for pulling an engine...
onestepcsy37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 10:01   #17

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now

Quote:
Originally Posted by onestepcsy37 View Post
Also, I'm with the guys who say $340 is a fair price for pulling an engine...
I'd 3rd that!

What I like (not) is if you don't buy your bottom paint from the yard they charge you extra for the haul out. They get ya coming or going. If you try to save money in one hand they'll take it from the other.

The product seems to have more value then the service.
Old 30-08-2014, 10:42   #18
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Leave. There are many marinas on the Chesapeake; I wouldn't have given him a second chance for such things, not honest mistakes.

That said, $350 seems reasonable. I've pulled a few engines and there is always some complication, even when things go beautifully. I got quoted far more that that for outboards!

http://sail-delmarva.blogspot.com/20...es-in-pdq.html
Old 30-08-2014, 12:25   #19

Boat: Various

Start work anywhere-marina, house, car, you name it-without a written contract and you're playing with fire. Plus the reputable boatyards wouldn't do it either. We get excellent service within the quoted estimates or less. We get warrantees for their service. Now when we're traveling will be a different challenge but we're require the same methods and only work with written quotes.

As to marinas charging a fee, for them to serve as the shipyard, to assume some liability and risk, to pay the insurance associated with it, I think it's appropriate and it's far better than the old way which was contract with the marina, they found people to do it and marked it up however they wished. Is 20% high? Well, you always have the option to go elsewhere.

I don't understand what the fact the labor was him and his brother has to do with anything or the fact you work for free. The amount he charged you seems low to me for the work done. And to call him dishonest is just wrong. There was nothing dishonest about his charges. Now perhaps charging you $9 vs. $8 but also perhaps a mistake. What did your quote show? Oh didn't get one. The marinas I've dealt with are honest. Expensive, yes, but honest.
BandB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:29   #20

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by appick View Post
I guess he only answered your question with a partial answer. Unless he thought you were going to have the engine ready to be pulled, and were just inquiring how much to lift it out.
Just for the record this is the case engine was already disconnected and ready to be lifted out. Total time no more than twenty minutes. Engine was in companion way.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 12:41   #21

Boat: gulfstar ketch 41 Surya

Quote:
Originally Posted by BandB View Post
I don't understand what the fact the labor was him and his brother has to do with anything or the fact you work for free. The amount he charged you seems low to me for the work done. And to call him dishonest is just wrong. There was nothing dishonest about his charges. Now perhaps charging you $9 vs. $8 but also perhaps a mistake. What did your quote show? Oh didn't get one. The marinas I've dealt with are honest. Expensive, yes, but honest.
The probelm with the labor is that when we discussed the project and I was going to Marina next door to get it done he said it would only be $100.00 for the crane. The $240.00 labor charge was a complete surprise.

The $9/ft charge vs $8/ft was no mistake. I got an invoice with the $8/ft charge which is also what he told me the charge would be. On a wim he changed it to 9/ft (redid the invoice). I had taken pictures and had to show him the haul out to clarify what he did.

And yes there are many Marinas in the area and I will be shopping for a new one.
S/V_Surya is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 13:23   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

You see...I don't agree with the price. The crane is $100@hr. ...period. I would assume that the crane comes with person, not extra. I have removed 2 engines. In Ca. the crane price was $50 per 1/2 hour. I made damn sure that the engine coming out (Volvo MDIIB) was loose and the engine going in (Yanmar 4jh) was slinged and ready. So the charge was $50. If the operator did a good job, I usually tip them...not the yard. $240 extra is not being nitpicky. It's being charged over 3 times the amount. They new damn well if they told you $340, they might not get the job.
If I go to a restaurant and order a meal for $10. and then the bill states $34 because the waiter had to put the food on a plate and bring it to me, it would be considered wrong by most people. But the marine industry has been fleecing boat owners for years now. It's become acceptable.
The Alameda Ca. yard where I hauled last, charged $110@hr. Since I was not allowed to sand (Insurance company, dontcha know) I had to pay $800 for sanding for some 5ft. tall, 5ft. diameter lazy doof that could not speak English to waved a sander at my boat for 7 hours. My total bill for 3 days was $2400. Then they had the audacity to tell me I got off cheap! I kicked my self because two months later I was in Ensenada, Mx. where they were $24-$28@hr. and worked their @ss's off on other boats and did a terrific job.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 13:35   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V_Surya View Post
Just for the record this is the case engine was already disconnected and ready to be lifted out. Total time no more than twenty minutes. Engine was in companion way.
I have had the pleasure of pulling a few boat engines, as part of a brief apprenticeship with a mechanic. After disconnecting everything, we'd use a block and tackle to a beam across the companionway to hoist the engine off its mounts or engine bed and onto a board at the bottom of the companionway ladder. From there, it was a 20 min job tops for a crane to lift the engine outta there and onto rails in a pickup bed.

So if your engine was like that, ready to be hoisted... $340 is robbery.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 13:40   #24

Quote:
The probelm with the labor is that when we discussed the project and I was going to Marina next door to get it done he said it would only be $100.00 for the crane. The $240.00 labor charge was a complete surprise.

You thought the labor would be free? Why? Did they say it would be?

Again, get it in writing. And if you don't trust the marina, go to another. But neither you nor the marina is conducting business the way it should be done. They should make you sign an agreement before doing anything. You should make them provide you one before doing anything.
Old 30-08-2014, 13:46   #25

Just checking some published rates in my area.

Crane with operator-$250/hr. Minimum one hour.
Old 30-08-2014, 13:46   #26

Boat: Standfast 33, building a 65 ft Wooden Schooner

Horse ****...the marina guy forgot to tell him the $100 was equipment cost only...if it went to court I would expect a judge to a say the same thing. You can't give an estimate and then charge extra for line items not even discussed.

Hey taxi? Can you take me to the airport? Sure it will cost $10....great.....ok you owe me $30...

Bullcrap
Scot McPherson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 14:03   #27

Seems whacky discussion.
Seems engine was not ready to go(entirely disconected and slinged/chained securely).
Something doesn't add up.!
At very least owner not clear with marina in understanding.
SPELL IT OUT ALWAYS !
Arthur Garfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2014, 15:02   #28

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Garfield View Post
Seems whacky discussion.
Seems engine was not ready to go(entirely disconected and slinged/chained securely).
Something doesn't add up.!
At very least owner not clear with marina in understanding.
SPELL IT OUT ALWAYS !
See the quote above, Arthur. I think what does not add up is the Marina saying $100, then billing $340. They didn't say $100 for the crane, plus labor.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 30-08-2014, 15:19   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
See the quote above, Arthur. I think what does not add up is the Marina saying $100, then billing $340. They didn't say $100 for the crane, plus labor.
Honestly, we don't know exactly what was said by anyone. What we do know is that both the marina and the boat owner made a mistake by not putting it in writing. 50/50. Both at fault. While $340 might have been high, I think most would realize $100 was too low.
Old 30-08-2014, 15:23   #30

I agree BB it should have been in writing but $100 for 20 minutes (if in fact it was 20 minutes) is not low.

Tags
marinas