Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-12-2020, 15:51   #16

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Mast moving ideas?

^^^^

Good idea, ahun. It's probably sleeved, anyway, maybe just take it apart at the join?

Ann
Old 05-12-2020, 16:19   #17

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

How much do you think this mast weighs?

Mine is 38ft and when laid horizontal on trestles I can't lift one end. Needs quite a bit of effort to roll it due to the cross section shape.

What ever option you come up with, a couple of blokes are not going to lift it safely.

How about a local fishing boat if the road transport doesn't work out, they often have lifting gear too and cash talks.

Pete
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 16:34   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
It would be best for you if the sellers can bring it by water on their boat. Wherever you are, we know that your boat made it there. why can't theirs?
2-3 day trip for them and they don’t want to do it. I’d be all for this solution but it’s not an option
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 16:37   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pete7 View Post
How much do you think this mast weighs?

Mine is 38ft and when laid horizontal on trestles I can't lift one end. Needs quite a bit of effort to roll it due to the cross section shape.

What ever option you come up with, a couple of blokes are not going to lift it safely.

How about a local fishing boat if the road transport doesn't work out, they often have lifting gear too and cash talks.

Pete
It’s 406 lbs. Unfortunately there are no fishing boats where I am.

The seller has been moving it by himself a little bit around his boat. I guess we’ll have at least 3 people but probably need more
Old 05-12-2020, 17:55   #20

Boat: Sabre 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I’m talking to a landscaper right now. Joule yacht transport quoted $350 to do it. This guy wants $650 plus any tickets he gets will be charged to me!

And you paid $350 in Long Island where this are always expensive. I’m unable to get this guy to change the price. But do have a maybe here.
I felt $350 was steep too but I didn’t have a choice, the yard was not providing work space and quoted $1600 just for sanding. In the end, I was out <$1000 with transport and materials, best thing was that I could work at my own schedule in my backyard.
Knotical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 18:00   #21

Boat: Sabre 402

or a forklift/payloader/backhoe... lift the middle with straps or lines and guide the ends by hand. Shouldn't be too hard. No marina anywhere with shoreside space for your seller to tie up for just one morning in December? Where does he get fuel? If he's going trawler-cat he's going to need a lot of fuel. A marina should like that, no?
psk125 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 18:24   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
or a forklift/payloader/backhoe... lift the middle with straps or lines and guide the ends by hand. Shouldn't be too hard. No marina anywhere with shoreside space for your seller to tie up for just one morning in December? Where does he get fuel? If he's going trawler-cat he's going to need a lot of fuel. A marina should like that, no?
None in his area are big enough it he is willing to go to.

He doesn’t go anywhere so he doesn’t need fuel for that boat. He’s just at anchor.

I don’t know all of his plans.
Old 05-12-2020, 18:26   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Knotical View Post
I felt $350 was steep too but I didn’t have a choice, the yard was not providing work space and quoted $1600 just for sanding. In the end, I was out <$1000 with transport and materials, best thing was that I could work at my own schedule in my backyard.
No, I was saying even in Long Island where everything is expensive, you paid $350 while I’m getting it up the whatever here being charged $650 plus any tickets the guy might get.
Old 05-12-2020, 18:42   #24
cruiser

Boat: Hitchhiker, Catamaran, 40'

Is your boat in the water?
Thumbs Up is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2020, 20:52   #25

Boat: catalina 22 & 27

Your mast can be hauled on Florida highways. You need to remove the spreaders to make it easier. Most likely you will need an oversize load permit.

If you have a truck you can find a trailer to haul it. The mast is stiff so you don't have to have a trailer 58 ft long. It could hang over quite a bit. However 480 lbs will be difficult to load by hand.

I recently hauled an 83 ft long grain auger from NW Kansas home to west central Arkansas.

It's very doable. You just have to get all your ducks in a row.

Thx-Ace
Old 05-12-2020, 22:12   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thumbs Up View Post
Is your boat in the water?
Yes, it is.
Old 05-12-2020, 23:47   #27

New Information: I just got a Florida Department of Transportation permit to tow the mast behind my truck.

Let’s pivot the discussion.

How can I best tow it?

My thoughts are to get a small boat/jet ski trailer and affix it to the far end of the mast, then attach the other end of the mast to my truck somehow.

The tricky parts are the attachment points.

1) The trailer will be nowhere near the truck. I’m essentially using the trailer as a dolly and the mast as the trailer. I think I have to keep the trailer tongue PERFECTLY aligned with the mast centerline or the thing will start steering itself, right?

2). I need a soft attachment to the truck, or... some kind of thing that will lock onto the mast and have a socket to allow the mast to just hitch up to my hitch on the truck. This imaginary device to hitch it on like a normal trailer seems like the best idea, but I’m not sure it exists. Any ideas there? Is rope acceptable ?

PS: watch for me on qualified captain. Ugh. Ha ha
Old 06-12-2020, 00:52   #28

Also looking at getting a “pole dolly”. Aka a pair of wheels. And affixing lights and day markers to the mast itself.

Still need to find some way to attach the base of the mast to my hitch though
Old 06-12-2020, 03:39   #29
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Also looking at getting a “pole dolly”. Aka a pair of wheels. And affixing lights and day markers to the mast itself.

Still need to find some way to attach the base of the mast to my hitch though
towed my mast with a dolly behind a pickup truck.

the front of the mast was secured with ropes and tie downs across the top of the pickup bed,centrally in an X pattern to the forestay fitting.

the dolly had a V channel for the mast to sit in 90 degrees to the wheels and secured with tie downs about 6ft from the end of the mast.

towed like a dream,just needed to take roundabouts /corners very wide and have a vehicle following so idiots did not try to overtake on the inside when going round roundabouts.
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2020, 03:56   #30
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!

picture of the mast in the dolly,this was after we towed it and moved the dolly to the center of the mast so as to make it easy to move around by hand in the yard.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC_0379[1].jpg
Views:	134
Size:	447.8 KB
ID:	228180  
atoll is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast