Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-05-2020, 06:08   #1

Mast wires through the deck options?

Hello,

I'm looking at improving or cleaning up the wires from my mast that go into the deck.

The current setup seems sloppy and messy looking. What other options are available to clean it up and make it less of a trip hazard?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20191119_114830.jpg
Views:	329
Size:	408.9 KB
ID:	214499  
fireman182 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 06:19   #2
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Mast wires through the deck options?

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireman182 View Post
Hello,

I'm looking at improving or cleaning up the wires from my mast that go into the deck.

The current setup seems sloppy and messy looking. What other options are available to clean it up and make it less of a trip hazard?
We just had another thread on that. A gooseneck is the best option... prettiest to have one made by a stainless fabrication shop but some use sched 40 PVC and paint that.
s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 10:27   #3

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I’ve used sealed chassis connectors which are working for me so far
Old 06-05-2020, 14:47   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
We just had another thread on that. A gooseneck is the best option... prettiest to have one made by a stainless fabrication shop but some use sched 40 PVC and paint that.
Yes , those type fittings are the most effective and long lasting

https://www.seascrew.com/browse.cfm?CABLE-GLANDS---THROUGH-DECK-STAINLESS-SWAN-NECK-&l=0000000668

If you do some googling you can find addition small craft cable pass thru swan necks

Mount the pass thru aft of the mast
Once cables are run fill the void in the neck with grey plumbers putty to ensure a watertight installation

https://www.webstaurantstore.com/stero-0p-571878-sealing-putty-1lb/HPP571878.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=cpc&ut m_campaign=GoogleShopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIl7Xz0p qg6QIVE4nICh1R1QayEAQYAiABEgLbl_D_BwE
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	4C4C3283-086D-46B9-B1EE-1C4087D03C09.jpeg
Views:	434
Size:	296.4 KB
ID:	214519  
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2020, 19:02   #5

Boat: Tartan 3800

Quote:
Hello,

Routing

1) You can use a gooseneck as suggested upthread
2) You can route the cables through the mast step with connectors stuffed into the bottom of the mast. More fiddly to step and unstep but a neater appearance with fewer trip hazards
3) You can use modern, miniature, weatherproof connectors. One connector can be mounted to either the mast or the deck, and the other then would mate with it.

Connectors

Connector wise for 12v power and Ethernet look at the M8 and M12 series ISO circular connectors. There are many alternatives with various power ratings and networking speeds, up to gigabit ethernet

For VHF you can use TNC connectors which are smaller and more weatherproof than the customary PL259 "UHF" connectors. N connectors work just as well but they are larger

All of these are available in bulkhead (mountable to deck or mast) or cable mount variations

There are many other alternatives but these are the small, weatherproof, and easy to mount
Jammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 05:04   #6

Great ideas, Thank you!

Now if only I am allowed access to my boat this season.....
Old 07-05-2020, 13:36   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO45.2

Quote:
Hello,

You have the right stuff, but used incorrectly. I have three of the large CableClam feedthroughs for seven of the nine cables in my mast. The great part about those fittings is that the plugs and connections remain INSIDE the boat - the hole in the base is large enough to accept a PL259 coax plug, radar cable connector, and/or a bunch of spade connectors. The large fitting can accept multiple cables; I have three in each of two, and the radar cable alone in its own.

I splurged and bought an extra set so as to have the top half and an undrilled rubber plug for when the mast is down. Wish they sold them that way, but no. Still very happy with the result, outside is neat, inside dry as a bone, and no corrosion on connectors or wires.

(first attempt at posting a photo - the line with the blue tracer was my daughter messing around, I should take a new photo some day)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAG...ew?usp=sharing

Of course, if your mast cables need to be long enough to reach down through the cable gland...
Redline452 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:15   #8

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

If you go the goose neck route, fabricate it as a "U" instead of an "J". That way, it's less of a toe ripping, line catching hazard.
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:46   #9

Boat: None at present--between vessels. Ex Piver Loadstar 12.5 metres

I modified a plastic dorade box ventilator. I think it cost ten bucks with fitting screws.
Mike Banks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 15:58   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reefmagnet View Post
If you go the goose neck route, fabricate it as a "U" instead of an "J". That way, it's less of a toe ripping, line catching hazard.
Bad idea

The minimum cable bundle bend radius is 5 times cable bundle diameter

Additionally the cables must exit the J and not be able to touch the deck

A properly Designed J matches its ID with its overall proportions
slug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 16:11   #11

Boat: Nantucket Island 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by slug View Post
Bad idea

The minimum cable bundle bend radius is 5 times cable bundle diameter

Additionally the cables must exit the J and not be able to touch the deck

A properly Designed J matches its ID with its overall proportions

I dunno, doesn't look like a problem to me...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	20200508_090747.jpg
Views:	563
Size:	394.8 KB
ID:	214602  
Reefmagnet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2020, 03:55   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Redline452 View Post
You have the right stuff, but used incorrectly. I have three of the large CableClam feedthroughs for seven of the nine cables in my mast. The great part about those fittings is that the plugs and connections remain INSIDE the boat - the hole in the base is large enough to accept a PL259 coax plug, radar cable connector, and/or a bunch of spade connectors. The large fitting can accept multiple cables; I have three in each of two, and the radar cable alone in its own.

I splurged and bought an extra set so as to have the top half and an undrilled rubber plug for when the mast is down. Wish they sold them that way, but no. Still very happy with the result, outside is neat, inside dry as a bone, and no corrosion on connectors or wires.

(first attempt at posting a photo - the line with the blue tracer was my daughter messing around, I should take a new photo some day)

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1rAG...ew?usp=sharing

Of course, if your mast cables need to be long enough to reach down through the cable gland...
I have my mast removed every season for winter storage.
Below deck the wires are hidden under cabin top panels.

Its a huge pain to take apart the ceiling to access the wires.

This is the previous owners design, so I'm guessing thats the logic for the wires to be disconnected above deck
Old 08-05-2020, 21:20   #13

Boat: Corbin 39' Pilot House Cutter

Here is how I did my Cabling 9 Cables total.

I built a flat ceiling box for disconnects inside the boat. No leaks or drips. Easy to disassemble for mast removal.

I live in Oregon and it rains 9 months of the year. It works.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	box.jpg
Views:	354
Size:	433.8 KB
ID:	214659   Click image for larger version

Name:	deck.jpg
Views:	741
Size:	417.7 KB
ID:	214660  

Sailorman4009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags