Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2016, 00:42   #1
cruiser

Med Antifoul Recommendations

Our boat grew a three inch fur coat with tens of thousands of barnacles in just three weeks. Ugh.

I've been using the cheap stuff Cruiser Uno for the past couple of years off the clear waters of Sardinia with good anti foul results. But here in the nutrient rich, still waters off western Italy, Eastern Italy, Montenegro and now heading up into Croatia, it looks like I need to come up with a different plan or product.

'Wondering why our boat was so sluggish earlier in the week, I dove down to find a complete mess on the underside. Nothing along the waterline or the keel indicating an issue, all looked well from the surface, but it required three 45 minute dives using the hookah to scrape off all the barnacles, white tubes and fur off the underside.

Any suggestions are welcome. More time is being spent in nutrient rich anchorages. Is there a product that specifically targets the barnacles? Barnacles seem to be the big problem here.

Note: Our boat only remains in the water for five to six months, then gets hauled out for the winter.

Thanks

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 01:18   #2
cruiser

Re: Med Antifoul Recommendations

ChuckR just recommended Micron 77. The chandlery had recommended the Micron 77 if we were planning on spending time in marinas due to barnacles, but since we anchor out nearly all the time, I went cheap on the Cruiser Uno and saved 100 euros or so. So now I'm paying the price over the next six weeks.

Any other reports on the Micron 77? How does it do regarding barnacles in warm nutient rich water?
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 01:49   #3

Boat: Luffe 45

I was using micron77 for 12 months now...just hauled the boat out of the water - the bottom is in almost perfect condition. The boat is berthed in Valencia which is probable not the easiest spot for antifoulings ..... However I would anytime vote for micron77.
lifgun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2016, 04:15   #4

Boat: Grand Soleil 52

I am using Hempel Mille Performer, two layers every year. Works ok in Spain.

Tags
men