Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-11-2022, 23:53   #1

Boat: Islander Bahama 30
Mexico Pacific Coast Living1

Hi,

I currently live in Los Angles and have a boat. I have a job that makes pretty good income and which can be done from almost anywhere. My employer is fairly progressive as regards working remotely.

I'm kicking around for ideas on places I could live, sail, and work remotely. I speak Spanish almost fluently, having a BA in the language and having used it extensively. I am fairly familiar with central and Southern Mexico, but I know almost nothing about the Mexican Pacific Coast.

I am thinking about looking into places around Baja California where I could live while working remotely. I would also take my boat down there (of course). The main thing is that I would need to have reliable high speed internet, which is not guaranteed in Mexico.

I'd be most interested in somewhere on the Sea of Cortez, or the Pacific Coast, (1) that has good internet service (2) that has a marina or at least docks (3) that is still relatively affordable. Ideally property is fairly cheap. What I wouldn't mind doing is picking up a relatively cheap place and after a few years moving on and rent it out as an air bnb or an artists retreat (marketing language). I was looking at Bahia Tortuga, for example, and thinking that it would be great as long as the internet is good. But I'm flexible. Just curious what advice people have. I'm also doing a Spanish language investigation on the topic, as the input and prices are often different when approached from that angle...
zachduckworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 01:30   #2

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large
Re: Mexico Pacific Coast Living1

I don't think you can buy property in Mexico without being an actual Mexican.
Sailer_Med is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:03   #3

Starlink in Mexico is cheaper than in the USA and just as good.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 02:06   #4

To learn more about buying or controlling real estate in Mexico, contact a reputable Mexican trust lawyer.

Do not rely on rando forum postings, hire an expert.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 04:38   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

La Paz is great.

BUT: be aware that marinas there charge moorage in US dollars and are as pricey (or worse) as Southern California.
sv_pelagia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 07:12   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 415

I worked remotely near Ensenada (Punta Banda area) for a few years. Had high speed internet at the house I rented with no issues. Loved the time I was there. Also spent 2 weeks at a hotel in LA Paz and no issues with internet at the hotel. I have more issues with internet now that I'm living in the keys.

I would love to be back in Mexico
Old 03-11-2022, 07:16   #7

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

OP I hate your guts. Kidding. The Sea of Cortez is amazing. The West Coast of Mexico is my second favourite place on earth but don’t let the Mexican know you are working. You’ll need a Mexican partner if you follow.
Be a tourist. I don’t know if I can spell it but Zihuatanejo is so chilled. Just a touch outside Xtapa.
Bravo on your Spanish it’s a lovely language I struggle with along with French.
Back to the Sea of Cortez Santana sung about. There is a tiny translucent hammer head shark. They have a scalloped Hammer you can almost see through. The nerves to the eyes very visible. They are a copper gold brown colour and unlike most sharks school. I think there is an octopus university somewhere in the sea. The octopus seem the wisest you’ll meet
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 08:08   #8

I've spent a good part of the last 3-years in Ensenada. There are two marinas there (three if you count the rickety docks at Baja Naval). Cruiseport, near Centro (downtown), where I pay around $450/mo USD for a 40-foot slip. Marina Coral, 3-miles north and part of a hotel resort, would be around $525-$550 for a 40-foot slip. I cannot speak for Coral, but internet at Cruiseport sucks - you would need Starlink which is $65 USD/mo, about half what it is in the US.

As far as buying property, you would have to be more specific on what you mean by cheap, and where you think you'd like to be. If you think you're going to find a little house on the beach somewhere for $100k, well, you're about 30-years too late. An aquaintance just listed 40-hectares (100 acres) of steep hillside vacant land on the ocean just north of Ensenada for $40M USD. Modest houses in Ensenada start around $200k. My guess is these are priced to be attractive to SoCal buyers like yourself.

On the other hand, I rent a 1-bdrm apartment near Centro, about 3/4 mile from Cruiseport, for $800 USD/mo. All utilities, including hi-speed internet. Don't let anyone scare you away about being a remote worker in Mexico - digital nomads are exremely common in all the popular places. I have remote-worked throughout Mexico for the last 10-years and have met many others - grab a cup of coffee in Tulum or Playa del Carmen and you will see at least a couple gringo remote workers. No problema.

The next marina south is 800 nms away in Cabo San Lucas, which might be one of the most expensive marinas in North/Central America. Around the corner another 125 nms is La Paz which has a very strong cruiser community.

A place few gringos mention that might be worthwhile to check out is Mazatlan. Easy flights in/out, and a vibrant community. It's fallen out of favor with Americans over the last 20-years, but has re-discovered by Mexican vacationers.

But I think in all cases, you want Starlink.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 09:00   #9

Boat: Shannon 50 Ketch

I lived in Nuevo Vallarta (Puerto Vallarta) for a year (2015) while working remotely and I relied on cell phone service when anchored out and DSL when at Paradise Marina, including during hurricane season. If I was doing it today, I would install a Starlink.

No one has mentioned hurricane season - in my view, NV/PV is the only hurricane safe locationon the coast, by which I mean hurricanes don't strike directly there.

Mazatlan has a very well protected harbor, and you would probably qualify as a hurricane hole, but if there is a direct hit, things could get dicey. Anyplace else on the Pacific coast I would not consider safe in a hurricane, except maybe the lagoon at Barre de Navidad. Maybe.
jordanbigel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 14:50   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailer_Med View Post
I don't think you can buy property in Mexico without being an actual Mexican.
You can. My friends have just bought in San Pedro de Allende.
vancouverderek is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 15:11   #11

Sounds like it’s cheaper to live here in the US i have a slip on the Southwest Washington coast , $1200 a year and includes power 40 foot slip ,so i Suggest Southeast Alaska in summer and southern Oregon coast in the winter both places you can get a $1200 slip for the year , Catch all the fish you can eat and it isn’t like living in the Desert
Baby tug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 15:13   #12

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

To comfortably live aboard most people prefer a marina. Then think of shopping and services, and depending on your age, medical services.

We've lived aboard in the Puerto Vallarta area for 8 years. We use fiber optic cable on the boat, it is inexpensive, fast and reliable. We have a car. We obtained Mexican Residency. We love it.

Property values here are skyrocketing but most other costs are low here.

Other pacific coast locations which we would find acceptable besides Puerto Vallarta area are La Paz, and Mazatlan.

Also San Carlos, and Acapulco might be possible although berths are limited there. Barra de Navidad is nice, but a small town. Farther South are Huatulco and Chiapas. All of these are nice towns with marinas and facilities although the first three are more populated and more marina berths and services are available. If you want cheap property look at Santa Rosalia. The marina is small but it's a nice town. Another small town is San Blas, and it is a short drive to Tepic but again the marina is small.

My advice is to drive around and check out all of these towns.
Old 03-11-2022, 15:13   #13

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

When we cruised Mexico back in the '90's, we were told you could only LEASE land within (60?) miles of the ocean, but you could buy land in the middle of the country.
IIRC, the leases were for 35 years, and renewable at the owner's discretion.

Sun Tzu
senormechanico is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2022, 15:18   #14

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by senormechanico View Post
When we cruised Mexico back in the '90's, we were told you could only LEASE land within (60?) miles of the ocean, but you could buy land in the middle of the country.
IIRC, the leases were for 35 years, and renewable at the owner's discretion.
Real estate sales to foreigners IS the main business in Puerto Vallarta area. There are risks.
Old 03-11-2022, 15:40   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
Real estate sales to foreigners IS the main business in Puerto Vallarta area. There are risks.
Well put. As I write, I am in a condo about 100-yards from the beach in Playa del Carmen, an hour south of Cancun. Foreigners can purchase via a land trust (a "Fideicomisso" - may have spelling wrong) with a bank as trustee.

There are risks throughout the purchase process. Professional guilds and licensure boards present in the US that impose consequences to bad-actor lawyers, accountants, and realtors do not exist in Mexico. Perfecting land ownership can be difficult. During the Mexican Revolution over 100 years ago, much of the land was granted to peasants (ejidos). Ownership was never formalized until it became valuable and developers sought to usurp property rights. Many properties - including condos - cannot get a final ownership deed as a result.

I know of one condo building down the street from me where the developer and land owner became partners, with the land owner getting a hefty sum with each condo sold. The developer renegged, the land owner revoked ownership. So there are now about 40 condo owners who have no deed to their condo. The building was constructed in 2007 - issue is totally stalled in court.

Bottom line, buying property in a foreign country is not for the feint of heart. I like Mexico a lot despite the issues. But not blind to the issues.
mvweebles is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Mexico