Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-12-2016, 11:43   #1

Boat: Bristol 41.1 Keep on Dancin'
Miami Strictly Sail

I can go with a friend on her business trip to Fort Lauderdale. It can be timed to coincide with the Miami Strictly Sail. i worked at the Newport and Annapolis shows for many years between 1990 and about 2006, when the boating industry crashed, and always found interesting boats to check out. It has been almost 11 years, and I am not sure the shows are even worth going to any longer. You can only look at so many look alike production boats, and there seems to be so few semi custom, or better quality production boats being built, especially for mere mortals. Always interested in equipment, as very long term ownership requires a constant upgrading. Just don't know if it is worth the hassle.
keepondancin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 11:54   #2

Boat: wanting a cat
Re: Miami Strictly Sail

Went last year, what a zoo, getting around is a huge hassle...
Won't go this year.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 13:40   #3

Boat: R&C Leopard 40

I am considering going. Flying cheaper into Ft. Lauderdale. Hotel pricing is high. Deciding to go for one day or multiple days.
Starting to look at flights and hotels.
FlyingScot is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 14:24   #4

Boat: Corsair F28 AC

We went this year. Our first big show. Definitely got my fix of looking at production cats. Ditto on hotels very expensive. Come to think of it, everything was expensive down there.
Lakepapa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 17:38   #5

Boat: wanting a cat

When I went last year, I used Marriott points and Hilton points, got a round trip flight on AA for $105.00 DFW to Miami, but the hassle was still not worth it.

If you are going to buy a lagoon or a leoprd, then it might be worth the trip...

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 18:28   #6

I am going to drive down, and sleep in the car
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2016, 18:58   #7

Boat: Catalina 470
Miami Strictly Sail

I'm going, but then I just have to drive from Fort Lauderdale ;-). Planning on doing the couples cruising seminar with my wife. We already have our boat, so more interested in equipment than the new boat - they'll just make me envious...

-David
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 03:43   #8

Boat: Globe, cutter/ketch,38

I had contemplated going as I missed Annapolis due to an injury the week before. But on looking at the exhibitor's list I didn't see many manufactures. Garmin yes, Raytheon -not, B & G not. It seems there is no shortage of brokers, charter people, etc.

On my part, boat shows are not about the boats per se but more all the support equipment and systems. Annapolis fall show has always been a good mix. Am I missing something?
Old 26-12-2016, 04:19   #9

Myjami isn't a very enjoyable place to visit overall.
WSMFP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2016, 05:17   #10

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by WSMFP View Post
Myjami isn't a very enjoyable place to visit overall.
You clearly do not know the fun places to go...
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 05:58   #11

Boat: Mako 28

We love the Miami show it's in the middle of winter for us. "Montana" so we fly down and rent condo thru airbnb then we Lux uber the whole week. We love the fresh stone crabs. Best coffee in the lower 48, and even on cold weather days in Miami we are in tshirts since the temp at home is usually high of 0. This year is different we are leaving on February 9 and boarding a Cat on the 11 for our 101, 103, 104, 114 classes then back to Miami on 17 and boat showing the 18 and 19 then flying back on the 20 and back to the oil fields on the 21. We are really excited this year because our cat list is getting shorter so we have just a few we really want to pay attention too. Lagoon 450F, royal cape 530.
Cockeye429 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 07:23   #12

Boat: 2019 Fountaine Pajot Saba 50'

Heading down on Wednesday, hoping it will be less crazy before the weekend. Spending a little time with the L450S, FP Saba (wish the new 47 was ready) and Leopard 48.

The ultimate goal is figuring out how to take advantage of the significant Sect 179 tax savings through while allowing as few people as possible on my boat

The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable one persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore, all progress depends on the unreasonable man. - George Bernard Shaw
CalmSeasQuest is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
miami, sail