Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-03-2023, 09:34   #1

Boat: Pearson 26
Mid Atlantic to Bermuda

Planning my first off shore trip to Bermuda from somewhere in the Mid Atlantic area. The boat is home ported in NJ so we can depart from any where south of that. It's a two person crew of experienced charter and coastal sailors, one has a bit more experience having crewed on deliveries up and down the east coast. The boat is a fully equipped Catalina with life raft, VHF, EPIRB, AIS, radar and Iridium Go plus Chris Parker's weather service.

Based on our current work schedules it looks like mid October would be our time frame for the crossing, or should we wait it out until the spring of 2024?

Is it feasible to go to the Bahamas from Bermuda late November/early December? Next stop would be somewhere in Florida.

Anyone have a per-departure check list and spare parts list that they would like to share?

TIA!
bad1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 10:29   #2

Boat: Hylas 49
Re: Mid Atlantic to Bermuda

October is still hurricane season. Check your insurance. Take lots of fuel filters, spare belts, fluids, lines. Sail to Norfolk or Morehead and wait for a weather window
TheOffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2023, 11:02   #3

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by bad1129 View Post
Planning my first off shore trip to Bermuda from somewhere in the Mid Atlantic area. The boat is home ported in NJ so we can depart from any where south of that. It's a two person crew of experienced charter and coastal sailors, one has a bit more experience having crewed on deliveries up and down the east coast. The boat is a fully equipped Catalina with life raft, VHF, EPIRB, AIS, radar and Iridium Go plus Chris Parker's weather service.

Based on our current work schedules it looks like mid October would be our time frame for the crossing, or should we wait it out until the spring of 2024?

Is it feasible to go to the Bahamas from Bermuda late November/early December? Next stop would be somewhere in Florida.

Anyone have a per-departure check list and spare parts list that they would like to share?

TIA!
=========================
alternate plan is to join
https://sdsa.memberclicks.net/

for a nominal fee that includes Parker weather

traditionally the group has split on two groups, one will sail to Bermuda and then continue to a selected destination, however lately there are some reservations for the Bermuda option.
You will find all the info in their site.

An of course as mentioned October is Hurricane season
davil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 10:15   #4

Boat: Swan 44 Mk II

Are you going to Bermuda for the adventure? I assume so, as it is a very unusual route to get to Florida from New Jersey.

As to the timing, I believe that last year the Salty Dawg Rally delayed departure until about Nov 10th because the weather threats. A mid-October departure would be very questionable seamanship.
Roniszoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 12:59   #5

Boat: Pearson 26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roniszoro View Post
Are you going to Bermuda for the adventure? I assume so, as it is a very unusual route to get to Florida from New Jersey.

As to the timing, I believe that last year the Salty Dawg Rally delayed departure until about Nov 10th because the weather threats. A mid-October departure would be very questionable seamanship.

Bermuda for the adventure, than Bahamas, Florida and maybe the Keys before we go back north in the spring. We will probably have to leave the boat at various stages to return home for business purposes.

We're not committed to an October departure date.
bad1129 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 13:21   #6

Boat: Endeavour 32

I plan to leave Norfolk in mid November heading out to I65. If you’d like to keep someone in vhf range.
SY Harmony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 13:25   #7

Go to the web site for the Marion to Bermuda race. “marionbermuda.com” where you will find lots of preparation information and vessel checklists, as well as plenty of other helpful info about sailing to Bermuda.
DougR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 13:26   #8

Boat: Island Packet 40

Not advocating October for departure, but did want to point out that historically hurricanes shift from the Atlantic (August & September) to the Gulf of Mexico (October and November).

Yes, there have been exceptions. But this has been the general pattern.

If you were thinking about crossing the Gulf of Mexico in October I would say don't even think about it. Crossing to Bermuda in October however, your odds of encountering a hurricane are much less. So in theory you could at least consider it -- but be prepared to scrub your departure as you get close to your departure date if the weather situation warrants.

Bob
Bobby Lex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2023, 14:22   #9
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

You've got this arse about backwards.

Head for the B'mas in late October/November, either coastal sailing or ICW or a bit of both.
Spend Nov thru' June in the B'mas and then make your way north to Bermuda.

I've done three trips to Bermuda. It's a tough place to get too. Somewhere along the line, either getting there or leaving, you are bound to hit a patch of inclement weather.

When you get there, keep a tight grip on your wallet, as the place is quite expensive.

I returned via the B'mas one year, making landfall at the Whale Cay passage route and checking in at Marsh Harbour. It was a rough trip, which was in June, as I had to deal with some real snotty weather.

Bermuda is fringed with reefs. Don't even think about a night landfall.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bermuda