Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-12-2007, 14:34   #1

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
Mini-cruise on forum members Yacht.......

DefJef had a great idea on another thread ( http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...r-11382-5.html) and I thought I would start a thread just for it.

Sort of like the "I want a free catamaran" one only a little more likely to end in a real, positive result. NOTE: The free cat thread is being run by someone else but I am still first on the list.

The idea was - ..."how about you spend a mini cruise with some of these fine sailors ON THIS FORUM on THEIR YACHT..."

And I thouhgt that is just too cool.

If I had a boat I would take people out all the time.........err.......I think I would anyway. After all, when I did have a boat I took friends and others sailing often.

This would also promote the sport, show off my (the best) boat, help to make new friends (freeloaders?) and get more people spending money on "marine" things in general.

What is not to like?

I would like to take a few "mini cruises" for a lot less than the 5k per week charter rates. Boy howdy do I mean that!!!

So, I am looking at cats 30 something to around 42.

I have no real experience on a large cat and need to "feel one up" to see if she is right for us.

Anyone around the Left coast (or even the Right)..............don't be shy.

Starting in January both the wife and I will have the ability to choose a few days of our own (to ask for days is to talk to ourselves) to take a ride on a nice forum members cat with them!!

What a great idea!!!

I know about the clubs that have the "beer can" races and all that but there are no multihulls in them - around here anyway.

Plus, an hour or two does not let you get to know her very well.

I will be waiting here at the keyboard because it really sound like a great idea.
Therapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 14:59   #2
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Interesting notion. I know that between 1 and 3 years ago, when we were still trying to figure out what we wanted, this would have been something we would have liked.

Speaking as someone about to take possession of our new (to us) cat in a couple of weeks, I think we would be open to playing host for such a thing. In some respects, it would be like having some extra crew along (handy when doing multi-day passages), such that it would meet some needs for all.

Speaking only for myself, I think I would need a few prerequisites to be in place. First, would be that the forum member would have to have enough experience to at least be able to take a watch. Second, that they would commit to following a few basic life-on-board compatiblity rules (the usuals regarding no smoking in the boat, clean up after yourself, watch the water/electricity use). Third, the willingness to share expenses proportionately. I see all of these as falling under the usual "be a good neighbor/boater" expectations.

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 15:35   #3

It was an idea I posted and I believe it is a good idea for those looking to get on a cruising yacht.

But don't expect to have a reliable crew because those who "sign on" could be pretty new to sailing and want to get an up close and personal look see on the water.

I single and short hand and don't need crew, nor would I expect or trust a newbie on watch, even if they are interested in getting a boat at some point. Depending on how "sharp" they, would determine how much I would let them "do".

I don't expect charter income, but I don't want to pay all the expenses that additional people on board may represent and I hope they would expect to not carry their weight.

I don't think too many people without a boat would be looking here, but let's see what the concept produces. We sail from a mooring in Shelter Island, LI.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 16:08   #4
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Intentional Drifter View Post
Speaking only for myself, I think I would need a few prerequisites to be in place. First, would be that the forum member would have to have enough experience to at least be able to take a watch. Second, that they would commit to following a few basic life-on-board compatablity rules (the usuals regarding no smoking in the boat, clean up after yourself, watch the water/electricity use). Third, the willingness to share expenses proportionately. I see all of these as falling under the usual "be a good neighbor/boater" expectations.

ID
Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
But don't expect to have a reliable crew because those who "sign on" could be pretty new to sailing and want to get an up close and personal look see on the water.
I believe ID is not one to appear boastful, so I will take the liberty to point out that, in the modern history of yachting, there has probably never been anyone who chose a St. Francis 44 as his "beginner boat." And while there are undoubtedly members here who are considering moving up to one, they will have accumulated a great deal of experience on other, probably smaller, vessels before they do so.

So while you're not wrong in your approach, defjef, it almost certainly doesn't apply to the vessel ID will soon call home.

TaoJones
Old 18-12-2007, 16:30   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Anyone who gets within spittin' distance of Changi is welcome on our boat. We take people out all the time. My partner is the social secretary of our club and we really feel that we need to help people bridge the gap from "keelboat class" to buyng a boat.

We aren't doing too many multi-day sails yet but we do weekenders all the time.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 16:51   #6
CF Adviser

Boat: Boatless, for now, Cat enthusiast
Perhaps I was miss-construing a bit what we were talking about by a "mini-cruise". Taking somebody for a daysail who is just trying to figure out if they would really like sailing (I really do have friends who don't, as much as that surprises me.), or had no experience on a cat before and was curious, would not fit in my definition of such. Frankly, I wouldn't expect much of anything from them and that would be completely OK.

I had construed the mini-cruise idea though as something quite a bit more. With the likely participant as being someone with at least a few completed courses under their belt, perhaps a charter or two, and as trying to figure out if they would really like the living-on-board, going from place to place lifestyle; or, someone starting to become pretty serious about a boat size or model and seeking some real-world experience on one. So, yeah, I expect someone like that to have some competence -- not that I would count on a ready supply of such people to provide additional crew. If I'm going to have extra crew not previously known to me, believe me, they will be quite well checked out -- in ways they won't even know and beyond the obvious ones.

And, yes, Tao is right, we're about to take possession of a very nice St. Francis 44. We're very, very excited. Thanks to the observations and comments by people like schoonerdog and others on this forum, I think this boat will be a fine cruiser for us. One of the things I really like about the boat is not only how well she works in the accommodation end of things, but the compromises made were still done with favoring the sailing qualities. She likes to sail. Sorry about the thread drift, I couldn't help it, it's in my name!

ID

Observations are gold; hypotheses, silver; and conclusions, bronze.

Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for lunch. Liberty is a well-armed lamb contesting the vote.--Ben Franklin

Everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but not their own facts.--Daniel Patrick Moynihan
Intentional Drifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 16:52   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CyberYacht 43
Motivated crew welcome to cruise Sydney Harbour....

Boracay is a largish steel yacht and we are presently doing our shake down (day sailing) trials on Sydney Harbour.

It's been wet and windy these last few weeks but once the weather improves we would welcome hearing from members who would like to crew.

Ultimately we would like to try heading to Broken Bay (S33 34' 12",E151 18' 36').
Boracay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 18:01   #8
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

There are also periodic "advertisements" for crew on the forum. In this case you have to be able to drop all your stuff and haul butt. It's not fair to expect a free ride and have someone work to your vacation schedule. Doesn't work like that...
Old 18-12-2007, 18:15   #9

I didn't expect landlubber passengers either, and by mini curise I didn't mean an offshore passage, but perhaps a few day coastal cruise. And sure, someone who has some skills can would want to "get hands on" and I have no problem with some of that, but I don't think I would take a nap and leave someone like that in charge under coastal conditions with all sorts of vessels, reefs, whatever to deal with. Let them drive? sure, cook? why not, chart / plot a course... go for it. Some sail trim? Give it a try and get us going faster.

I like people one board to "do something" other than lay about like they are on a cruise ship. That's for the Admiral! hahahaha
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 18:37   #10

Boat: Still have the 33yo Jon boat. But now a CATAMARAN. Nice little 18' Bay Cat.
For me?
I have monohull experience. 11',18',32', 41' (classes)
Some coastal cruises.
I have not sailed for a few years except a few "beer can" races and that does not really count in my book.
I can do a little of the things mentioned above.
I am pretty sure I will have a cat 33-42' in a couple or a few years.
I want to feel a cat for at least a little bit, you know.
Chartering seems just sooooo expensive as in, two weeks charter will buy most if not all my electronics. One more week buys the freakin' water maker, etc.
And I schedule things ahead of time so I can't just jump and run when you decide.
I am still "working".

But none of it really matters since 90% of the time it is just a condo, right? Cruisers don't cruise as much as float, right?
If the condo is OK and they sail in good weather as fast (but flat) as a monohull then what else is needed, really? <wink, wink>
As long as the Admiral can have a small shower (and me too, wink-wink) and a cold drink who cares that the starboard engine access is only for a midget, right?
Old 18-12-2007, 18:37   #11
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by defjef View Post
I like people one board to "do something" other than lay about like they are on a cruise ship. That's for the Admiral! hahahaha
If you aren't going to pull ropes then you are going to fetch beers...
Old 18-12-2007, 18:47   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
If you aren't going to pull ropes then you are going to fetch beers...
I will fetch beer if you want but I would rather change your filters, inspect seacocks, batteries, sails etc with you.
Old 18-12-2007, 18:49   #13

Boat: Van de Stadt 34'
Very interesting. I, for one, would welcome any genuine, info seeking, non freeloading guest aboard for short/medium durations/cruises, and have done so before within the selection criteria that subconciously exists around the club bar. But i don't pick up hitch-hikers any more in my car . . why? Too paranoid? Maybe. "Therapy" posted this thread because of Anne Gibson's Newbie thread, to which I have subscribed, and I said "I would sail south to France to meet you". I would also, after reading Anne's enthusiasm, invite her and her husband to sail here in Ireland, but would that be a cheap invite because of the distance involved? Maybe...depends if they said "Ok. we'll fly over", - on Ebay you can check out the seller's history, verify the genuine article to a degree. . . don't forget the significant others who won't be too impressed when you tell them . . "oh, by the way, some nice people I met on the net are arriving tomorrow to spend a week on the boat. . ." There is genuine warmth and friendship here, and I would like nothing better than to welcome some forum members aboard, (and join you aboatd too in the sun) but as my wife has never even heard of this forum, the suggestion might go down, as Winston Churchill would say, "Like a burning Spitfire". Anne, the invitation is there regardless!!
Old 18-12-2007, 20:09   #14

Boat: Sceptre 41
I like the idea. Don't have a multi-hull though. I took Kai Nui and his lovely wife out for a day sail on the SF Bay when I had my J105 down there. I also met a couple on the internet and when I chartered a boat in Ft. Meyers area we hooked up for dinner. So yes I would take a couple out on my boat. But then there was Sulli's experience with the guy wanting to buy his boat. I guess along with the pre-reqs that some of you guys posted it would be good to take a copy of the persons passport/license and deposit it with a trusted friend on land so that if there were any problems you'd have some kind of starting point. After all that would have discouraged the couple who killed the owners of the power boat off San Diego (can't remeber their name).

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-12-2007, 20:22   #15

Boat: Schioning 12.3 "Wilderness" Bi-Rig under construction
Send a message via Skype™ to Whimsical
Therapy
Come on down to Aus. You can help me move the boat from Fremantle to Thailand.
Just come a year early as the boat isn't finished yet

Mike

Sorry couldn't resist
Whimsical is offline   Reply With Quote