Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 17:34   #16

Boat: None
Re: Minor Problem But I'm Stuck. Can't do this solo, can I?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Pippa!!!!!

You just earned a golden ticket!

Not sure where you are located but when I put together a couple of days of day sailing for the forum members that have helped me out over time, you are invited.

It worked like a charm once I put the line on the rudder. underwater work was the secret.

I was able to just hammer the tube a little bit. I just touched it and it moved out of the way. It did not release all the way because it can only go in from the other side. Crazy as that may be.

The minute the pin lost contact with the Kick up trunk, the trunk actually lifted right into place. Because I already had all of the lines pulling with a lot of tension on them. I put one shim in and it was perfect. I was able to slide the big tube back in and get the giant washers and cotter pins in place.

Fixed!

Nice work Chotu. Always interesting to read your adventures.

How does the other side look? I’m curious about how that pin slid out in the first place and how you will keep that from happening again.

Best of luck
Renoirpierre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 18:28   #17

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Good to hear it was a quick fix. I was going to suggest using the davits for lifting force.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 18:30   #18

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renoirpierre View Post
Nice work Chotu. Always interesting to read your adventures.

How does the other side look? I’m curious about how that pin slid out in the first place and how you will keep that from happening again.

Best of luck

both sides look identical. It’s a tube that goes through the kick up and sticks out just a little bit on each side inside the hull. In the picture where you see the tube inside the hull, the tube is pushed way over to one side. That’s not it's normal position at all. each side has huge washers, pins and cotter pins (all pictured) that hold it all together.

I don’t really see how this could have come off naturally. I think it was taken off by someone and not put back.

One of the supporting pieces of information about that is the port side has been clunky. When I am at anchor it makes a lot of noise. I had thought it just became a bit more loose through wear and tear. I guess that wasn’t the case. It has been noisy like this since I left to go to St Pete to try those riggers.

Edit: by other side you might mean the starboard side of the boat. Its duplicate installation. That looks just fine. All the hardware is in place and nothing is wrong with it at all. I think these were left off.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 18:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
Good to hear it was a quick fix. I was going to suggest using the davits for lifting force.
I was definitely eyeballing those. But the angle is wrong. That was the first thing I was thinking also.
Old 02-04-2023, 19:34   #20

So glad it worked out for you and in a reasonable amount of time. Believe it or not, I’ve been in your shoes, but the rudder totally disappeared 100 miles offshore. What fun Good thing our boats have two of those things, always nice to have a ready spare.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 19:40   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
So glad it worked out for you and in a reasonable amount of time. Believe it or not, I’ve been in your shoes, but the rudder totally disappeared 100 miles offshore. What fun Good thing our boats have two of those things, always nice to have a ready spare.
Ah. so you don’t need the golden ticket.

thanks very much for the idea though. It saves the day. My Rigger was also getting impatient that it takes me so long to get up there. So this will be nice to shave some time off the trip.

it was definitely not easy to steer with one rudder however. Not easy at all.

I was really limping my way in. It would become somewhat difficult to manage and I would try to use the engines to help compensate.

but my port engine needs a new throttle position sensor.

so every few minutes or every one minute it drops to idle. And I have to back off the throttle 100% and then go back on again. Very annoying stuff.

I was hoping to stick around where I am right now and fix that, but I need to get to the Rigger. The time is ticking. And I am only about a week out. So I should just go.

trip takes in a really long time when you have to stop every night to sleep and you are only getting 6 kn against a 2kn current half the time.

Definitely need a rig.
Old 02-04-2023, 22:50   #22

Why the hell are you on a 1000 mile trip with no mast and boom?? You’re a crazy man! I respect it but you should prioritize you’re decisions priorhand to what the outcome your at now. You need money and a good west marine that’s the best advice a man can give you.
Freebird1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2023, 03:03   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freebird1997 View Post
Why the hell are you on a 1000 mile trip with no mast and boom?? You’re a crazy man! I respect it but you should prioritize you’re decisions priorhand to what the outcome your at now. You need money and a good west marine that’s the best advice a man can give you.
why did you create this account today?

Have you read the forum? Are you actually just joining right now and a legitimate person? Or is West Marine starting to do ads like this?

because I’ll tell you, it’s criminal what you guys are selling for dinghies these days.

why else would someone suggest that west Marine (A place that mostly sells clothing, electronics and water toys now and not marine building supplies) could solve the problem in this thread? especially when the closest one is 50 miles away.

but somehow, I do think it’s a legitimate person and not an ad. Because in an ad, they would know the difference between your and you're.
Old 04-04-2023, 03:30   #24

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Well done,like every thing in marine ,check and check again ,then if it fails you already know about it ,Irish I guess .⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2023, 04:15   #25

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
why did you create this account today?

Have you read the forum? Are you actually just joining right now and a legitimate person? Or is West Marine starting to do ads like this?

because I’ll tell you, it’s criminal what you guys are selling for dinghies these days.

why else would someone suggest that west Marine (A place that mostly sells clothing, electronics and water toys now and not marine building supplies) could solve the problem in this thread? especially when the closest one is 50 miles away.

but somehow, I do think it’s a legitimate person and not an ad. Because in an ad, they would know the difference between your and you're.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23]
Old 04-04-2023, 04:50   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Searles View Post
Well done,like every thing in marine ,check and check again ,then if it fails you already know about it ,Irish I guess .⚓️⛵️
Well done thanks to you guys. I can’t take credit. I was unable to think about the below water action that needed to be put into play in order to get this to work.

Good as new however. Back to making miles. Actually I’m almost done at the destination now. It’s getting close.

and wouldn't you know it? My Rigger is going on a delivery. So I have to wait for him a little bit.
Old 04-04-2023, 07:15   #27

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5

Glad you're getting there. Keep up the hard work!
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2023, 05:24   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Glad you're getting there. Keep up the hard work!
Thank you, Ben!

Maybe I’ll see you out there this summer. I’m sure our paths will cross. Similar cruising areas.

I think you know what the boat looks like. I think I shared that with you privately.