Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-04-2023, 09:04   #1

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran
Minor Problem But I'm Stuck. Can't do this solo, can I?

Ok, 2 problems. One is mission critical. I'm stuck and can't move.

First problem: I need a throttle position sensor for my port outboard.

Second problem has me stuck: I almost lost my rudder! Big pins and washers that hold my kickup pin were off somehow! Pin migrated out of the kickup trunk/case and jammed against an internal wall. See pics:

Kickup trunk pivots on a large metal tube where the red line is shown. it’s kicked up a little bit in this picture and hung up on the tube which can’t move. Because it’s jammed into the side of the hull. those greenish looking G10 things in the back that need to be painted are where the kick up fuse goes.

This is a close-up. You can see the trunk dropped a little bit and is now jammed against the metal tube that slid out.

close-up of the other side. It dropped about that much. Before jamming. Thankfully it jammed. Otherwise I wouldn’t even have a rudder.

Here’s what’s going on inside. That’s the kick up pin. you can see it is jammed very tightly into the hull. doesn’t move in any direction right now.

This is the hardware that goes on the end of the pin that was supposed to hold it. It’s not broken. It just miraculously fell off or maybe someone was doing something in the boat before I left and didn’t put this back on or something. I don’t know.

in any case, I can’t lift this thing up. I can’t pull it higher so that I can line it up with the tube in order to slide the tube back in. i’m not physically strong enough. It’s a two-man job and I am single handed. I am screwed right now.

anyone have any ideas?

I have tried putting a short 2 x 4 through the loop in the safety line and using leverage to lift. all it does is pivot the kick up trunk and rudder on the points that are jammed.

I need to lift this rudder and trunk into position. Somehow.

When I built it, the kick up trunk went into place first. Then I slid the rudder post up through the bushings. not possible in the water to do that. I can’t even drop the rudder because as you can see the safety line will be larger than the bushings that it has to slide through. so the entire assembly has to be moved upward but it’s jammed.

The jam is actually what kept the rudder from falling off completely and taking the steering system with it.

Any ideas on how I can do this?

Or does anyone know anyone in between Myrtle Beach and Charleston? That’s about where I am. Right in between. I don’t know if this is a one person job. I can’t seem to get it. I don’t have the physical strength.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	85ABCF68-DB95-4829-93E7-3EDB2C4FD5B1.jpeg
Views:	1979
Size:	271.2 KB
ID:	273600   Click image for larger version

Name:	7843E743-06E9-4E8D-9E3B-E1F51173A85F.jpeg
Views:	1957
Size:	275.1 KB
ID:	273601  

Name:	6C5AC248-4F43-494A-A0B9-F43325054231.jpeg
Views:	1939
Size:	292.0 KB
ID:	273602   Click image for larger version

Name:	B905E341-CB66-4C05-B548-A27758C944D4.jpeg
Views:	1951
Size:	384.6 KB
ID:	273603  

Name:	60C94FA8-953F-45D2-B089-FD800AF6256D.jpeg
Views:	1921
Size:	306.8 KB
ID:	273604  
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:10   #2

Boat: Hunnter Legend 37.5
Re: Minor Problem But I'm Stuck. Can't do this solo, can I?

Can you get a ratchet strap (you might have to put two together) underneath the rudder and secured to something on deck and then ratchet the rudder up?
bensolomon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:22   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by bensolomon View Post
Can you get a ratchet strap (you might have to put two together) underneath the rudder and secured to something on deck and then ratchet the rudder up?

possibly. I bet they are all in my RV tools. Lol as a matter of fact I can picture them in there. They are.

maybe I can go ashore to find some. I limped my way into a populated area after weeks and weeks of marshy grassland with no people.

thankful I was able to stop in civilization. I don’t think this would have been possible at all out in the marshes.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:24   #4

Can you get a line around the rudder blade and then run it all the way up to the bow of the boat? Pulling forward looks like it would pivot things up and forward. Might mean a short spell in the lovely ICW water.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:30   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
Can you get a line around the rudder blade and then run it all the way up to the bow of the boat? Pulling forward looks like it would pivot things up and forward. Might mean a short spell in the lovely ICW water.

A very very small one. Like a clothesline or similar. The rudder is as close as possible to the bottom of the "hull" or a kick up trunk. that’s for efficiency.

but I think I see your idea. If I can tension that line up and bring it to the bow, it will hold the rudder down and keep it from kicking up. So it can only go in one direction and that is upward. In combination with a lifting line or ratchets, that might keep things steady. And then I could knock the pin out inside the hull. And hopefully the rudder doesn’t leave the boat.

If I do that, I think the lifting line would need some forward component also. Because if it doesn’t have that, this thing will rotate and the top will head aft.

Is that the idea?
Old 02-04-2023, 09:35   #6

I was thinking around the rudder blade itself, the deeper/further down the blade you can go the more leverage you would get, but it does depend on blade construction and risk of damage. What it sounds like you are describing would be around the shaft, which is probably lower risk, but also much less leverage. Still, all depends on how much force is required.
PippaB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 09:39   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by PippaB View Post
I was thinking around the rudder blade itself, the deeper/further down the blade you can go the more leverage you would get, but it does depend on blade construction and risk of damage. What it sounds like you are describing would be around the shaft, which is probably lower risk, but also much less leverage. Still, all depends on how much force is required.
I guess that would be possible. The rudder would spin around and be backward from the pressure on the rope. I don’t think that would cause any trouble. It’s a balanced spade NACA foil, so it would spin.

but I don’t think putting on the shaft would be a big deal either. That should work. You’re right. Less leverage. But the real pressure I need is upward. Holding the bottom of it toward the hull is actually pretty easy. I can use my own weight and hold it no problem. even when putting extreme lift on the assembly from 2 x 4 leverage.

But I think your idea is a good one. I think it will keep this thing lined up and keep it from moving in the wrong direction. It will concentrate any upward force into a lifting force rather than into a rotating force.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:08   #8

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Just a thought, can't you attach the mainsheet to the boom end, attach it to the rudder and then haul the boom end up with a topping lift or halyard?
Maybe extend the boom a bit with a piece of wood?
Old 02-04-2023, 10:42   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franziska View Post
Just a thought, can't you attach the mainsheet to the boom end, attach it to the rudder and then haul the boom end up with a topping lift or halyard?
Maybe extend the boom a bit with a piece of wood?
Of course I could do that. That would work perfectly. I would love to do that. But remember I am on a 1000 mile trip to my rigger?

The mast and boom are still a few hundred miles away.

closing in on them though.

What’s really interesting about your suggestion however, is that there is an extension on the boom. They’re actually will be once my rigging is done. That will be lifting the tender up onto some arms. my Rigger is making this change.

I think Pippa's idea might help.

I have that all rigged up right now. And instead of ratchet straps I am doing a couple of other things with lines as a firtst try.

I’m going to knock that big tube out with a hammer after lunch.

The assembly shouldn’t be able to go anywhere because it is held at the bottom and at the top by lines.

from there I can adjust those lines and shim it and just keep working at it and working at it and hopefully get it into the right spot where I can get the tube back in.
Old 02-04-2023, 10:45   #10

Boat: Other people's boats

The bad-ideas angel on my shoulder is saying "just run her aground in reverse".

The other thought might be to place the 2x4 across the back of the rudder, just below where the fuse bits were placed, and give it some taps with a mallet. Another might be to simply cut the tube out, hammer the remaining bit clear, and re-insert a new tube once the rudder is free.

I assume the only pivot point (and retaining bits, apart from the safety line) is the metal tube, correct? And that metal tube is only holding it on one side, having come completely out of the other hole? If so, how closely aligned are the two holes on the other side? Could you insert another tube, or conical bit of metal to act as part lever to help re-align the rudder vertically and also to act as a temporary pivot until you can re-insert the main tube?
requiem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 10:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by requiem View Post
The bad-ideas angel on my shoulder is saying "just run her aground in reverse".

The other thought might be to place the 2x4 across the back of the rudder, just below where the fuse bits were placed, and give it some taps with a mallet. Another might be to simply cut the tube out, hammer the remaining bit clear, and re-insert a new tube once the rudder is free.

I assume the only pivot point (and retaining bits, apart from the safety line) is the metal tube, correct? And that metal tube is only holding it on one side, having come completely out of the other hole? If so, how closely aligned are the two holes on the other side? Could you insert another tube, or conical bit of metal to act as part lever to help re-align the rudder vertically and also to act as a temporary pivot until you can re-insert the main tube?
Yes. The only pivot point is the metal tube. Otherwise it’s free to drop to the bottom. Ha ha.

and yes. You can see it in picture number three in my first post. That is the other side of the kick up trunk where the pin is not. that shows the lineup.

some conical thing would be perfect actually. If I had such a thing. I might have to resort to shims and lots of fiddly adjustments I think.

not a bad idea to whack the stern most part of the trunk however. That would probably release the jam a little easier than pulling on it from the top.
Old 02-04-2023, 11:26   #12

Boat: Woods Mira 35 Catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Of course I could do that. That would work perfectly. I would love to do that. But remember I am on a 1000 mile trip to my rigger?

The mast and boom are still a few hundred miles away.

closing in on them though.

What’s really interesting about your suggestion however, is that there is an extension on the boom. They’re actually will be once my rigging is done. That will be lifting the tender up onto some arms. my Rigger is making this change.

I think Pippa's idea might help.

I have that all rigged up right now. And instead of ratchet straps I am doing a couple of other things with lines as a firtst try.

I’m going to knock that big tube out with a hammer after lunch.

The assembly shouldn’t be able to go anywhere because it is held at the bottom and at the top by lines.

from there I can adjust those lines and shim it and just keep working at it and working at it and hopefully get it into the right spot where I can get the tube back in.
Uups, forgot about the rigging job...
Old 02-04-2023, 11:28   #13

Get a car tire jack under the pin?
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2023, 12:01   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by smac999 View Post

Get a car tire jack under the pin?
i’m just going to smack that out of there with a big hammer. That’s not a problem.

The problem is once I smack that out of there nothing is holding the entire rudder and kickup trunk except a safety line.

The kickup trunk is jammed in there by this misaligned pin

then I have to hope I can bring the trunk and rudder assembly (very heavy) up into place. And slide that tube back in.

About to go give it a shot right now.
Old 02-04-2023, 12:26   #15

Pippa!!!!!

You just earned a golden ticket!

Not sure where you are located but when I put together a couple of days of day sailing for the forum members that have helped me out over time, you are invited.

It worked like a charm once I put the line on the rudder. underwater work was the secret.

I was able to just hammer the tube a little bit. I just touched it and it moved out of the way. It did not release all the way because it can only go in from the other side. Crazy as that may be.

The minute the pin lost contact with the Kick up trunk, the trunk actually lifted right into place. Because I already had all of the lines pulling with a lot of tension on them. I put one shim in and it was perfect. I was able to slide the big tube back in and get the giant washers and cotter pins in place.

Fixed!