Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 02-12-2017, 21:15   #136

Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

I think people are mixed up in their view prevalence of "rescues". Is it not logical to admit that a problem/emergency, especially medical, which can be dealt by 40-50 year old is much more difficult to be dealt with by a 70-75 year old? Not because they're not as good sailors (IMO they are probably much better sailors given their experience, etc) but because nature of aging is such as to make many small easily solvable problems at a younger age much greater unsolvable problems as we age. Plus the fact that there are more retired folks out there crossing the oceans compared to still working 40-50 year olds. So it is very reasonable to expect that these factors combined will produce more rescues of the over retirement age sailors. For me it does not reflect badly on the older folks, quite the opposite - it means they are out there doing stuff which we ourselves be doing had we planned our lives better and could've retired already.
Old 03-12-2017, 00:15   #137

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post
SAILING TRAVEL INSURANCE
Travel insurance is personal cover (health and accident). The previous discussion is about boat insurance - which is a totally different thing.
Old 03-12-2017, 04:58   #138
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Polux comes from an over regulated country that thanks to the EU is becoming even more regulated.. its how they make their money.. check out how much the most basic boating licence would cost in Portugal and how often it needs renewing at a cost and you will understand his attitude.. its like France who would have every sailing dinghy fitted with a liferaft if they had the option..
I remember French maritime police getting really pissed off for my crossing the Channel regularly with just paper and compass when their rules call for bells and whistles.
The only reason I got my RYA quals was to meet the increasing EU oppression.
Most insurance companies will if requested give one a seperate policy for crew health etc if requested.. I know mine does for sickness or injury and include repatriation costs for emergencies.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 03-12-2017, 05:19   #139

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
The only reason I got my RYA quals was to meet the increasing EU oppression.
Totally agree there, I took Yachtmaster Offshore in 2001 and Ocean in 2002, as well as the Secretary of State's certification for LRC with GMDSS for my SSB. All this after starting sailing in 1954 and singled handed offshore in 1964.

Now at 70 next year I have professional skippers indemnity insurance and global health insurance for sailing. I will continue sailing until I know I am not capable anymore.
Old 03-12-2017, 05:42   #140

Boat: It’s old

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorlady323 View Post
Not a problem. Age not determinate. Experience and fitness is.
Urination knows no bounds.

Pardon me for being so blunt,but I'm guessing these 70+ men won't be found with their flies open.
Old 03-12-2017, 06:10   #141

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimtrang View Post

Pardon me for being so blunt,but I'm guessing these 70+ men will be found with their flies closed.
Sorry, confused by double negative.
Old 03-12-2017, 07:29   #142
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimtrang View Post

Pardon me for being so blunt,but I'm guessing these 70+ men won't be found with their flies open.
entirely dependant on beer intake coefficient
Old 03-12-2017, 08:21   #143

Quote:
Originally Posted by newhaul View Post
entirely dependant on beer intake coefficient
Pardon me for being so oblique. I tried to google this subject, but it's proving difficult.

Man on sailing boat or whatever. Drinks too much at night. Urinates into sea. Loses grip and falls into sea. Fails to zip up fly before drowning.

That wind generator or radar pole/solar support is a definite lifesaver.
Old 03-12-2017, 10:43   #144

Boat: Comet 41s

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Polux comes from an over regulated country that thanks to the EU is becoming even more regulated.. its how they make their money.. check out how much the most basic boating licence would cost in Portugal and how often it needs renewing at a cost and you will understand his attitude.....
You are badly informed. The renew of the licence costs are not significant since they are valid for many years. 70 euros to be precise, if made by an agency much less (if anything?) if they are made directly at a Capitania (port authority)
Renovação de Cartas

An advanced licence, Patrão de costa, the one before the last one costs about 800 euros and it has mandatory 75 hours of formation, theory and sea practice.

I don't know what you call expensive but it seems a fair price to me due to the number of hours. Of course to take this one you have to have already the 2 previous ones that can be taken together.

Or you can do what I have done, show up at the tests and examination and pass them without ever been at a single class or without having paid nothing, just the price of the examination.
Old 03-12-2017, 11:16   #145

Something that actually belongs to the story...

The boat has been found in Tobago: https://www.facebook.com/permalink.p...3&id=545272292

Old 03-12-2017, 11:41   #146

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Does anyone out there know if the boat is rescuable? It could represent his widow's only asset.

Ann
Old 03-12-2017, 11:49   #147

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Does anyone out there know if the boat is rescuable? It could represent his widow's only asset.
I recall the boat was insured, if that's the case, financials could turn worse if it's salvageable. Photos on FB doesn't seem bad.

Kind of weird that it ended up in Tobago, I thought the prevailing current goes North...
Old 03-12-2017, 12:08   #148
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Quote:
You are badly informed. The renew of the licence costs are not significant since they are valid for many years. 70 euros to be precise, if made by an agency much less (if anything?) if they are made directly at a Capitania (port authority)
Renovação de Cartas

An advanced licence, Patrão de costa, the one before the last one costs about 800 euros and it has mandatory 75 hours of formation, theory and sea practice.

I don't know what you call expensive but it seems a fair price to me due to the number of hours. Of course to take this one you have to have already the 2 previous ones that can be taken together.

Or you can do what I have done, show up at the tests and examination and pass them without ever been at a single class or without having paid nothing, just the price of the examination.
That's what I did.. hired an examiner for the day and did my practical and theory on my own boat single handing.
Portuguese friends have complained to me about it costing more than 1000euro for the basic 3 mile limit tuition..
GTom.. I was saying that about the boat abandoned without rudder this time last year but everyone insisted she'd go NW.. wind and swell count more than current in my opinion.. surface currents can be different.

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".
"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."

The Politician Never Bites the Hand that Feeds..
Old 03-12-2017, 12:08   #149

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Kind of weird that it ended up in Tobago, I thought the prevailing current goes North...
Seems to have considerable sail still set. That might well overcome any currents in the area.

Great photo of a sad scene.

Jim
Old 03-12-2017, 13:00   #150

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Renovação de Cartas

This is why I like the Brits and voting Brexit. They don't accept bureaucratic exploitation as being 'reasonable.' This resistance has been going on ever since the Magna Carta.
Thankfully some of this attitude has been transferred to NZ. No licence needed to go offshore - just experience.(You can't take a yacht offshore unless someone on board has done it before.)
Closed Thread

Tags
atlantic crossing, Barbados, family, yacht