Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2017, 10:37   #91
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 63 custom alloy sloop,macwester26,prout snowgoose 37 elite catamaran!
Re: Missing yacht near Barbados..

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
That would be the US of A where everything is privatised and profit based.. especially lives.
Over this side its State funded and part of the National Security system or like the UK/Oz/NZ run by Charities and volunteers..
perhaps monetizing GPS reception would more than cover the cost of rescue at sea for commercial and amateur alike

those that don't like it could always use a sextant
Old 28-11-2017, 10:38   #92
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60
Re: Missing yacht nThe subject had to do with the increasing number of ear Barbados..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
Polux
trying to find those statistic reports you refer to,I googled under different search variables and the only one I found was BoatUS with average age been 47.
Will you please guide me on my search?
thanks
David

'Sobering MOB Facts From BoatUS"

24% were characterized as falls overboard
24% died at night, 76% died in daytime
63% did not know how to swim
8% of non–swimmers were wearing life jacket
90% occurred in calm weather with < 1′ chop
4% of the boats had two engines
85% were men
Average age was 47
Alcohol consumption played a part in
27% of daytime deaths
50% of nighttime deaths
— How to Prepare for a Man Overboard 2
and I bet most of them were recovered with their fly down.
Old 28-11-2017, 10:43   #93

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Indeed, it can happen. I am also diving and hear/read about many young and fit fellow divers passing away every year. Reasons behind a lethal accident vary, human error might be more prevalent in the younger generations while health/fitness issues hit the elderly.
DAN did a study many years ago of diving accidents and discovered two broad trends. Accidents tended to occur in two groups: the very inexperienced and the very experienced.

The very inexperienced because they didnt know what they were doing and the very experienced because they were a bit too comfortable under water and did things they shouldnt.

I suspect sailing accidents follow that trend too.
Old 28-11-2017, 11:19   #94

Re: Missing yacht nThe subject had to do with the increasing number of ear Barbados..

Quote:
Originally Posted by davil View Post
'Sobering MOB Facts From BoatUS"

24% were characterized as falls overboard
24% died at night, 76% died in daytime
63% did not know how to swim
8% of non–swimmers were wearing life jacket
90% occurred in calm weather with < 1′ chop
4% of the boats had two engines
85% were men
Average age was 47
Alcohol consumption played a part in
27% of daytime deaths
50% of nighttime deaths
I get the feeling that these stats are important for recreational power boats in the US(IE too much drinking on the wakeboard boat), but don't give us insight on sailing across oceans. Only 15 out of the 701 deaths in the boatus statistics are on sailboats.

It would be good to see modern ocean crossing accident stats...
Old 28-11-2017, 11:24   #95

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
If that is the case it would be very difficult for a 74 year old sailor to start a circumnavigation because he would find very difficult to be insured and even if he finds an insurance company that covers that risk, the insurance will be huge, proportional to the risk.
What I think is incorrect with this statement is that generally, boat insurers, as a group, have little idea of the health level of the applicant, and no real way to factor in his/her experience when considering the risk, which is also difficult to assess. What I think you would see from thinking this way is some form of enforced ageism, and, frankly, I think that is a very great shame. It is tarring all elders with the same brush, whereas they vary considerably, in experience, knowledge levels, and physical capabilities.

If the legislation read to not sell EPIRBS to them, and take DSC out of HF and VHF, then they could go, and it would up to them to use ham radio if they wanted rescuing. Although I don't think we'll see that, I would point out that what we most often hear from the SAR people in places where there is tax support for the organizations is that they would rather work a real rescue situation than spend their training funds on a fake: they learn more and get more satisfaction from a real one. It is a common red herring the reporters like to bring up, but that money has already been spent. I would venture to guess that rescuees are mainly inexperienced, with few skills to manage mechanical problems with their boats.

Ann
Old 28-11-2017, 11:59   #96

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

as a follow up to my question to Polux as to where his comments and since have not heard more I continue searching and this is what I found.
You may like to follow each link,no reference to age I could find.

Now,from a US Coast Guard SAR report find interesting the following selected years (full report on listed links)

United States Coast Guard Search and Rescue Summary Statistics
1964 thru 2015
FiscalYear Cases Responses SortiesL ivesSavedLives
1975 62,334 70,551 81,561 3,024 -
1978 77,954 86,222 100,262 4,386 -
1995 49,704 63,679 110,267 4,453
2015 16,456 37,215 18,781 3,536

There is a spike on '75 to '78 and then again '95.
Subsequent years actually show a decline on calls.

Like any statistical report can be interpreted any way you like.
However I find the lack of reference to age as well as lack of increasing number of cases to be significant in as much as they seem so far we the OLD
( I am 76 y/o) be a major burden on society.
Prior posting refers as ageism and unfortunately that is a fact of life.

http://www.dco.uscg.mil/Portals/9/CG...ts%2064-16.pdf

https://link.springer.com/article/10.1007/BF03195091

http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/UN_USA08/...USCG%20SAR.pdf

SAR Facts, Reports, Presentations & Info Sheets
Old 28-11-2017, 12:15   #97

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

davil:

Yes, ageism is a fact of life. But it is also like any other prejudice, the only way to combat it is consciousness raising. I thought i had given activism up years ago!
Old 28-11-2017, 12:21   #98
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 1968 Islander bahama 24 hull 182, 1963 columbia 29 defender. hull # 60

Heck dads 93 now and just finally moved ashore last July. So what is this age number thing.
Old 28-11-2017, 12:27   #99

Boat: 1987 Cape Dory MKII 30 Hull #3,

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
davil:

Yes, ageism is a fact of life. But it is also like any other prejudice, the only way to combat it is consciousness raising. I thought i had given activism up years ago!
I drink to that

Id rather die while I'm livin than live while I'm dead

Jimmy Buffett
Old 28-11-2017, 13:08   #100
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

guy i know just finished a circumnav last year or so at age 73 on a perry baba 40. he just ran off to sea again at age 74 and heading for so pacific, most likely. when you diss old folks, make sure you have met all of the old folks, as many are not as old as you think they are for the numbers.
"age aint nothin but a number."
Old 28-11-2017, 13:48   #101

Boat: Schionning Waterline 1480

Think of life like a game, your not 70, you have reached level 70.
Old 28-11-2017, 14:15   #102

There is no person alive that takes more unnecessary risk than a young man below the age of 25. Our frontal lobes don't fully develope until around age 25 and those lobes are where we get our judgement from. That's why it's so easy to send them to war and why insurance companies charge them huge premiems on stuff like car insurance. If a male makes it to age 25 his odds of living a long life really start to go up. Forget old farts, especially on sailboats as the number is so small I'm surprised it's even worth talking about. Sure there were these two old farts that seemed to need rescue recently in England after each port of call but that is so rare. Think about all the young men on this planet creating pure hell as a normal way of life. Most people do know their limitations and that includes sailors...you can be damn sure this board has plenty of guys in their 70's that can sail the ass of of many of you younger armchair sailors.... R
Old 28-11-2017, 15:23   #103

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
There is no person alive that takes more unnecessary risk than a young man below the age of 25. Our frontal lobes don't fully develope until around age 25 and those lobes are where we get our judgement from. That's why it's so easy to send them to war and why insurance companies charge them huge premiems on stuff like car insurance. If a male makes it to age 25 his odds of living a long life really start to go up. Forget old farts, especially on sailboats as the number is so small I'm surprised it's even worth talking about. Sure there were these two old farts that seemed to need rescue recently in England after each port of call but that is so rare. Think about all the young men on this planet creating pure hell as a normal way of life. Most people do know their limitations and that includes sailors...you can be damn sure this board has plenty of guys in their 70's that can sail the ass of of many of you younger armchair sailors.... R
True I think, I try to use some forethought these days as I think I over drew my bad judgement account when I was younger. [emoji41]
Old 28-11-2017, 15:55   #104

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Exactly R-S. Car insurance rates tell the storey re under 25's, and this despite the many oldies still driving who can hardly see and who have dicky hearts.

Re off-shore boat insurance; they seem to care most about the age of the boat, then the experience of the occupant. Don't seem to worry about age.
Old 28-11-2017, 16:07   #105

Quote:
Originally Posted by DumnMad View Post
Re off-shore boat insurance; they seem to care most about the age of the boat, then the experience of the occupant. Don't seem to worry about age.
Because they insure the boats not the occupants. Boats do very well at sea, some don't even need a crew to cross an ocean...

Tags
atlantic crossing, Barbados, family, yacht