Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-10-2022, 02:13   #16

Boat: Dufour 365 Grand Large
Re: MMSI and AIS Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Very nice, but the OP in not an American citizen, nor (I suspect) Canadian. His boat is not American flagged, but is state registered, which is neither fish nor fowl.

He’s cut a bunch of corners, and now has to figure out how square that circle. I don’t have a lot of sympathy or empathy.
His boat is registered in DW therefore it is an American flagged vessel. Nothing to do with his citizenship. In this world boat flagging is a tax, ease, and price game. He just didn’t quite go all the way and register PL.

I have feeling he is wrong about the citizenship and MMSI thing. The FCC doesn’t care where you are from, probably only that you are resident in the territory…opps…
Sailer_Med is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2022, 02:44   #17
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
MMSI and AIS Question

In my opinion just like a proper flagging process , acquiring a ships radio license is just another “ proper “ thing to do when operating internationally . It just one of those things. Equally Gov need your radio operators certificates.

There does seem to me a small section of yachties that think rules don’t apply to them.
Old 31-10-2022, 05:41   #18

Boat: Cape Barren Goose 37ft

Getting back to the requirement basics, many asian countries require AIS transponders on visiting yachts so authorities can see where they are. I know someone who has programmed in their own 9 digit number. The first 3 numbers of an MMSI identify a country, but my friends random numbers are not aligned with any country.

As far as I know my friend has'nt been challenged on that matter. The main thing is being seen by others for collision avoidance and it satisfies the requirements of carriage because it works.

Not saying it is what you should do, but if you chose your own non aligned number you wouldn't be the first.
Old 31-10-2022, 05:48   #19

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ambler View Post
Getting back to the requirement basics, many asian countries require AIS transponders on visiting yachts so authorities can see where they are. I know someone who has programmed in their own 9 digit number. The first 3 numbers of an MMSI identify a country, but my friends random numbers are not aligned with any country.

As far as I know my friend has'nt been challenged on that matter. The main thing is being seen by others for collision avoidance and it satisfies the requirements of carriage because it works.

Not saying it is what you should do, but if you chose your own non aligned number you wouldn't be the first.
Not sure why you would go to the effort of setting up a fake MMSI when obtaining a real legitimate one is so easy (and in some cases free)????????
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2022, 07:49   #20

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
Very nice, but the OP in not an American citizen, nor (I suspect) Canadian. His boat is not American flagged, but is state registered, which is neither fish nor fowl.

He’s cut a bunch of corners, and now has to figure out how square that circle. I don’t have a lot of sympathy or empathy.
No.
A boat registered in Delaware can get an FCC starion licence.
His personal citizenship does not matter.
meirriba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 08:34   #21

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 461

IN the USA in order to get a Coast Guard registration number one has to be an USA citizen. Born in USA or naturalized. Maybe he just has a Delaware state registration number?
VHF does not require an FCC license anymore.
Peterbreit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2022, 10:02   #22
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
MMSI and AIS Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbreit View Post
IN the USA in order to get a Coast Guard registration number one has to be an USA citizen. Born in USA or naturalized. Maybe he just has a Delaware state registration number?

It does to operate internationally. Both a ships radio license and an radio operator license is needed and the FCC issues both.

In national waters of many many nations it’s a requirement to have both irrespective of what your flag state may require domestically.
Old 06-11-2022, 01:03   #23

Boat: Lagoon 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Peterbreit View Post
International VHF use, does require ship's radio station license.
Same requirement in most countries around the world.
You can get ship's radio licence through the FCC if you are state registered (no need for Coast Guard registration) - I have one and also licensed many radio stations for other vessels in similar status (i.e. Delaware registration only).

Tags
ais