Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-07-2022, 05:26   #16

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: Mobile TIG 316 welder?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
I don't know what I don't know.

Can I stick weld 316 stainless and T6061-T6 aluminum? Is that adequate?

I've never worked with stick, so I can't answer that part for sure. From what I know, as long as you can get appropriate rods for the materials in question, you should be able to do it.

But you can definitely weld both of those with gas shielded MIG and appropriate shielding gas (IIRC the aluminum may need different gas than the stainless). You'll need a spool gun for aluminum wire (it's too soft to feed all the way up from the welder).
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 06:32   #17

Boat: Baba 40

Check with the local community college. A lot have welding classes that might be able to take this on as a class project.
Sailshabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:00   #18

Boat: Lancer 44 Motorsailer

I just sold my 200amp ac tig welder that also did stick. I was a hobbyist metal fabricator for 40 years. Built a lot of stuff for boats and stuff. Stainless can be mig, tig, or stick welded. Over the years I have had several welders. What is the thickness of the material that you are trying to have welded? Anyone who tells you that you can't weld Stainless steel with a stick just haven't learned how yet. It is all about the rods. Stainless is very prone to warping and pulling when you weld it. It does take a bit of practice. Good luck with your project, a trade school that teaches welding may be your best choice. Up here in Canada we have a lot of fabrication shops that work on boats. Welders are in high demand now and there is a shortage of them.
Old 11-07-2022, 08:21   #19

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lancerbye View Post
Anyone who tells you that you can't weld Stainless steel with a stick just haven't learned how yet.
it entirely depends on the dimensions, end use, and needed qualities of the stainless. If you’re ok with a cooked weld with porosity and sugar on the back that needs to be extensively finished, pickled, and passivated - sure stick weld some 316 with some globs of solar flux. A few sections of my boat were done this way and I consider them an embarrassment, looking forward to replacing those trash welds when needed. Sure, they hold, but what absolute garbage. Thin gauge, sanitary, and high strength/high risk MUST be TIG welded in all but emergencies. Anything else is just weird “old timey” bravado.
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:22   #20

Location: Sea of Cortez/northern Utah/ Wisconsin/ La Paz, BCS
Boat: Hans Christian 38 Mk II

Over the years, I learned to be a decent stick and MIG welder of structural (mild) steel. I tried to weld aluminum - stick is no solution for aluminum at all. I even bought a MIG welder with spool gun to try to put some aluminum components together. My results were pretty lousy.
I’d say forget about self-teaching yourself to weld your aluminum components to finish your project, sorry.
I’ve no experience with welding stainless, so have no comments or suggestions on this part of your project.
AndyEss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 08:42   #21

Quote:
I was hoping it wouldn’t come to that, but I think this might be the best way to go.

I could have become a professional welder and taken many classes by now.

It’s unbelievable that it’s not possible to get metal work done anymore.

I only wish people would have told me no instead of leading me on. I have been waiting all these months. For nothing.
TIG welding is not a "buy and do" thing for most people. It's an acquired skill. Not sure you should go down that path. TIG requires a gas bottle also. You could rent one if you really want to try it.
-Have you talked to repair yards for recommendations or local boat mechanics. Those guys will know someone.
- Go to a Welding Supply place and look for a poster board or ask the guy at the counter who can do it.

A guy near Fort Pierce made a custom SS exhaust riser with bellows for me in one day. My mechanic at the time knew him. It was long ago though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 09:30   #22

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

I built my T-Bucket roadster chassis using a MIG welder (and a stick over 1/4" and dressing it up with MIG). The front end components are stainless, and they haven't failed in over 100,000 miles. Also reworked the pulpit and lifeline stanchions on the ketch. With MIG you can get good penetration, but you have to get really good with an angle grinder to get it to look good.
With TIG, you need a steady hand and good depth perception to maintain that 1/32" distance between the electrode and the workpiece.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:07   #23

Boat: Compromis 888 (29ft)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Manateeman View Post
Never seen such absurd posts and just plain bad advice..
Well, there's a first for everything. Welders are scarse and in high demand. If you can choose what jobs you want to do, the small non-business ones are not very attractive. If you have to take all your welding equipement to location where the welding quality, safety and work circumstances cannot be controlled adequately, it is even more unattractive. So if you want to get things done, something has to change.

I like to do as much as possible myself. And I don't need to be able to weld everything and not every weld needs to be perfect. The anglegrinder is your friend. So I learn myself to weld and I accept that there will be failures. I've seen great TIG welding results from sailors I know with a similar attitude. So it can be done for sure. No, I will not ever reach the level of experience you have Manateeman, but in a few months I'll show the results. Let the sailing communiry judge by then.
Old 11-07-2022, 10:30   #24

Boat: 30' Ericson / 42' Golden Star / Yard full of trailer boats

Not to come across as insensitive to your problem but Manatee makes some valid points, and I will add some completely subjective unsolicited advice.

To enter a Marina a contractor has to be pre-approved, submit insurance - usually $2M minimum and workman's comp verification.

Just because the Marina may not perform the work directly doesn't mean they don't want a piece of the pie. If you need something done scheduling an approved/favored contractor through the Service Manager is the usually the way to go. They know who they want working in their facility and contractors are more responsive to the marinas they work in.
How did that 65' sport fisherman at the end of the dock get a tower repaired immediately? He handed the SM a Franklin (his cc is already on file) and asked him to keep calling until he found somebody to get it done.

There are a lot of marine welding companies in that immediate area. Rather than frustrating yourself scouting them have the marina bring in someone they work with. It's worth the extra cost.
Turtle Blues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 10:46   #25

Boat: 1987 Sabre 42 C/B

What trying to reach out to some local welding schools. Maybe the instructor or a star student would do the work.

If you plan on learning I highly recommend this guys YouTube series. He breaks it down into steps that make sense and make you get proficient in each step along the way. Welding 2 pieces together comes after looks of other practicing of the techniques.

Good luck with your project.

Foster
flee27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 11:25   #26

Boat: Island Packet, Packet Cat 35

talk to the local junior colleges with welding programs. Instructors might want the sied business and they might have students who can do it. They would know. Welding supply houses .. yeah, talk to them. They may know non professional guys who do good work on cars and stuff.

Learning to tig takes a lot of time to be proficient.

Another place to contact would be your local union welding hall.
Cpt Mark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 14:00   #27

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
I don't know what I don't know.

Can I stick weld 316 stainless and T6061-T6 aluminum? Is that adequate?
The pros may not agree, but I think stick welding Aluminium is a no-go, but for many applications it should be fine for s/s. I don't remember what the specific s/s fabrication job you face might be, and I'm surely no pro welder, but none of the stick welded bits on either of my cruising boats have ever failed.

Hope you can find a resolution to your dilemma.

Jim
Old 11-07-2022, 14:08   #28

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

well, I have tried a Hail Mary on the current fabricator that is saying they will be able to get this done.

The aluminum welding is part of the mast extension. So, that should probably be done correctly. Ha ha. That’s the one thing I don’t think I can practice on.

The stainless welding is the components that hold the forward cross beam / bow tube in place and allow it to be bolted to the hull.

The hqil Mary sort of worked. The current fabricator is actually going to come and get the rig to put it at their shop to work on it, which is probably great because they will want to get it out of there as well. they will get tired of looking at it. It’s already 59 feet long. It’s going to be 65 or so. that should get in the way enough to get them motivated.

But if nothing happens in the next few weeks, I’m going to have to start welding things myself. I will update the thread and take everyone up on their offers and suggestions once I see if I can get this Hail Mary to work or not.
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 14:18   #29

Boat: 39' Custom built junk rigged cat ketch

Chotu, is it absolutely necessary that these pieces are welded? Many things that are welded can, and have, been bolted/riveted/screwed/glued together. Mast extensions are regularly done with fasteners only. If it's truly just welding that is holding you up, is there another way to do it?
fourlyons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2022, 17:17   #30

Boat: Roberts 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by fourlyons View Post
Chotu, is it absolutely necessary that these pieces are welded? Many things that are welded can, and have, been bolted/riveted/screwed/glued together. Mast extensions are regularly done with fasteners only. If it's truly just welding that is holding you up, is there another way to do it?
Good point!

https://www.timantra.net
hzcruiser is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mob