Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-01-2009, 22:11   #31
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Lat and atts is ok....but they are in the NW.......you know, where they imbibe in that wacky weed. Just kidding
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 04:20   #32
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I’ve noticed a significant drop in quality from the optics industry over the years. Camera & mirror images are nowhere nearly as good as they used to be.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 04:51   #33

There's no moderation in life. We run into the whole range from ethical to thieves, from brilliant to dolts and we make our way and get what we need.

Discussions about issues related to cruising should not be injected with politics, or religion etc. Those topics can and should be separate and anyone can choose to participate or not.

When a discussion gets out of control, adults simply move on. And that's how it should be.

Insulting comments and personal ad hominem (sp?) comments / attacks should be discouraged and removed if they are really offensive. I don't care for foul language, for example, but I do use it occasionally. I don't object to it occasionally either and will tolerate it as opposed to "censorship"

I think many sites profess to be concerned about libel suits which I think is hogwash. Suppose someone posts what appears to be libelous. The offended party will likely contact and request that the comment be removed as a remedy. Taking it down as opposed to fighting in court seems to be a simply remedy for that problem. I seriously doubt that big lawsuits will result from remarks on a website. If anyone knows of libel lawsuits related to web site forums discussions I would like to read about it.

Frankly my preference, if one feels they must moderate, is to do it transparently and simply post an comment AFTER the "offending" one explaining why it was not up to standard and hopefully the discussion will be recentered after that.

I don't get the idea of not allowing some links to other sites which is also a common mod activity. Really who cares?

I've left some sites where there were a few "aggressive" posters and it simply was not pleasing to be subjected to constant swill. I moved on. The site owners, obviously like the swill so good for them, they can have the site.

The more moderation, the drier and more boring a site it. You make your bed and then you have to lie down in it.
Sandero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 07:06   #34
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Valiant 40 (1975)
Its thier sandbox (the moderators). If you want to play by thier rules, they will let you float your boat here and even build a few sandcastles. If not go over to SA's sandbox. I don't like it when they throw sand because it gets in my eyes. And I have to empty out the sand from my sandwich before I eat lunch.
Now there is such a thing as too much moderation (I just saw the Truman show again). But I don't think the control around here is anywhere that level. And I don't need the bad karma running around in my head, so I am grateful they remove stuff before I read it. I see enough bad every day. Sailing lets me be free of such, and that's why I love it so much.
s/v Beth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 08:14   #35

Boat: Passport 47 CC
Send a message via Yahoo to SV Someday Came
Quote:
Originally Posted by GordMay View Post
I’ve noticed a significant drop in quality from the optics industry over the years. Camera & mirror images are nowhere nearly as good as they used to be.
I agree. Quality optics take time and substantial experience to make, shape, and coat the lens.
SV Someday Came is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 11:27   #36
Captain

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Send a message via MSN to Andy R Send a message via Skype™ to Andy R
Interesting discussion, thanks for acknowledging the team that volunteers to keep this resource running smoothly. As with most things in life it's more common that people complain when disgruntled then to say thanks when they feel they are being given good service.

Following are the principles that guide our community and foundation for our Community Rules.
Friends don't always agree on everything or even on most things. They can agree to disagree. When that happens, they try to keep their discussions logical and free from name calling and so forth, or more often they just spend their time on other topics. They don't take every opportunity to express their disagreement, incite argument, insult each other, and fan flames. When they are incapable of avoiding this sort of thing, they become much more disruptive than welcome.

Most of us, while we welcome perspectives on all sides of any issue, would not invite a frequently and apparently intentionally disruptive or rude person to a gathering of friends at our homes, nor to any other gathering of friends that they are hosting.
We have outlined some guidelines for participation in our community with our Community Rules (I'd like to encourage everyone to read them). They are pretty simple and not too much to ask since they help us keep the peace and keep the focus on exchanging information about sailing/cruising.

Thanks again for showing your support.
Andy R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 12:21   #37

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
You're very welcome Andy! I truly believe that a modicum of moderate moderation is mandatory if we are to maintain a happy medium. Marsupial. Masticate...

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-01-2009, 12:39   #38
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
No matter which direction you take the amount of moderation, there will always be unhappy people because it does not suit their particular taste.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 02:33   #39

Boat: C&C 38'
I am still trying to determine Gord May's deep hidden meaning in his comment about optics and deteriating quality as applied to our forum moderators. Still water runs deep you know.
Old 25-01-2009, 02:46   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: We're technically refugees from our home in Yemen now living in Lebenon
Boat: 1978 CT48
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
I am still trying to determine Gord May's deep hidden meaning in his comment about optics and deteriating quality as applied to our forum moderators. Still water runs deep you know.
I think it has something to do with tunafish sandwiches...but am still trying to connect all the dots.
James S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 13:05   #41

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cape Dory 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowboy Sailer View Post
We believe that Gord may have a third eye with unique properties - hence the optics comment. Age takes a toll....
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 13:51   #42

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
It has recently come to my attention that Gords picture is fraudulent! Here, for the first time, I post his REAL picture, and his secret identity; He is actually the wise old TOOTSIE POP OWL! C'mon Gord, how many licks?

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	tootsie_pop.jpg
Views:	149
Size:	41.0 KB
ID:	6887  

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2009, 14:23   #43
Senior Cruiser

Boat: 1980 Endeavour 43 (Ketch)
Actually, I understood that his picture was taken with a NEW Brownie (when it was new). :;shrug::

S/V Elusive is offline   Reply With Quote