Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-11-2017, 09:45   #16

Boat: Lagoon 450, 46 feet
Re: Mold and health problems?

The Ladybug steam cleaner with TANCS will not only kill your mold and mildew but do it without any chemicals and chemical exposure. It just uses water so there is no lingering health issue.
purplesunrise is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:30   #17
PHR

Boat: 2008 Hunter 49

Thanks everyone for the advice.

My particular issue is not the bugs. I've been on the boat about a month, and have torn the place apart several times. But I can appreciate the suggestion.

The mold suggestions are really helpful. I will start with those and see if I can make a difference. I'd rather do that first, but if I have to go to an allergist to get this figured this out, then that could be in my future.

I am also replacing two out of three mattresses, and may do the third when I am more certain of my financial situation. I was not expecting to have to replace them, so money's getting tighter.

If this comes through, I have attached the main cabin's mattress. There are two hatches above the bed, and they get a lot of condensation. I'm not surprised at the stains underneath them, and I suspect that is where the mold formed. Ugh.

Again, thank you all for sharing your thoughts and experiences.

Life is good!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20171120_041129.jpg
Views:	135
Size:	364.7 KB
ID:	159530  
PHR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-11-2017, 10:31   #18

This is bugs not mold.

Mold/mildew is a fact of life on small sailboats. There is always some. If the OP was highly allergic to it, he probably wouldn't be sleeping on a boat in the first place.

For those of us with normal sensitivity to mold/mildew, keeping it at an acceptable level is just part of regular maintenance. To me "acceptable" just means the boat doesn't smell bad. Others may have different standards.

This is my favorite mildew cleaner and preventer. Cheap. Effective. Relatively low odor. Keeps working if you let it dry on the surface. Very low toxicity chemicals (all approved for use in food). The chemicals are available cheaply in 1lb bags from Amazon.

1 quart hot water
1 tablespoon baking soda (sodium bicarbonate)
2 tablespoons washing soda (sodium carbonate)
2 tablespoons trisodium phosphate (TSP)

But this isn't going to kill the OP's bugs.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-11-2017, 09:46   #19

Boat: American Mariner 24'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sainted View Post
If you use bug bombs, don't over do it. Three propellant in those things is flammable. I'm aware of a guy who set off nine bug bombs on his sail boat. The propellant ignited and it blew the deck off.

I agree worth the other posters that suggest bugs, though. If it turns out to be beg bugs, hire a pro. They are tough to get rid of.
FYI.... Few months back I had searched on CF for how to deal with bugs and saw this come up a couple of times. But, when I went to the store I found a bug bomb that actually said "boat cabin safe". Upon reading it does not use flammable propellant. It's made by Hot Shot in a blue can.
ClassicalBGP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 06:18   #20

Boat: Bruce Roberts Offshore 44

After we moved Blind Faith from San Pedro, California to Bodega Bay we discovered condensation that she had never suffered in her previous 25 years. I thought I had leaks in the bolts that secure the inner forestay to the deck but that was not the case. Every morning the backing plate condensed moisture that dripped on the forepeak cushions. Mold grew everywhere.

We scrubbed the interior with clorine bleach/water solution and bought a dehumidifier and small heater that we use when plugged into shore power. Problem solved.

Others in the marina keep an incandescent trouble light burning night and day to dehumidify and heat. I am not sure if they take other steps.
michaelratinter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-11-2017, 15:38   #21

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

PHR,

That kind of mildew on a mattress would not cause welts and hives on me or Jim. It is unsightly, yes. Welts and hives are an allergic reaction to something. It could be a different detergent used on your bed linen, or any number of things, including insect bites.

Only testing will find out what things bother your system enough to throw out welts and hives.

Incidentally, I've had the testing, years ago. It is not particularly invasive or scary.

Ann
Old 26-11-2017, 02:37   #22
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, purplesunrise.

GordMay is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
health, mold