Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-03-2017, 18:42   #31

Boat: Beneteau 323
Re: Mono in distress

Anyone know whether they had and/or deployed a drogue?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 19:02   #32

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
Anyone know whether they had and/or deployed a drogue?
or a para-anchor? Something was run off the bow, there was line running off the bow in the video.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 19:17   #33

Boat: Catalina 470

I now have my first ever Hf. Girlfriend just happened to be learning how to use it at the same time the rescue was happening, we listening to the rescue in real time. The skipper seemed calm and collected from what we could hear as the aircraft was dropping communication equip and asking him about liferaft etc.

It really confirmed to me what a safe place Australia is to cruise.....the government will always do what ever is nessacary to rescue you....and yes I'm one that complains about being a nanny state.

Sent from my vivo Y35 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
daletournier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 23:10   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Yes Ann, I get that. IMO it would be nice if folk could contain their bun fights within the threads in which they originate in rather than inflecting unsullied threads.

One would think the loss of the vessel, the rescue of the crew, the effectiveness of the SAR process, the weather etc would be more interesting topics to discuss and mull in a cruising forum over rather than lobbing hand grenades where they are not appropriate

Ah well, might be better if I took another CF holiday...
It's annoying when people post uninformed drivel about a particular type of boat just because they don't own that type of boat, isn't it?

Happens to just about every multihull thread.
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 10:04   #35

Boat: a sailing boat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
or a para-anchor? Something was run off the bow, there was line running off the bow in the video.
Yep. Something is on the bow. Could be a sea anchor but a (too) small one. Or else the wind abated this much by when the images were shot.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:17   #36

Boat: Beneteau 323

A lot of boats come acropper on the NZ to Australia leg. Those southerlies don't seem to be predictable. Is there any good strategy? Is it better to get to Australia via Fiji etc?
svseachange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 13:22   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

It is the cut off lows that can get thrown off the NSW coast that can be a problem. You want to watch the weather and leave on the back side of a frontal passage, and expect one more before you arrive, they come through frequently.

Ann
Old 10-03-2017, 14:07   #38

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Sorry for two posts, here, but I need to clarify something. My post was relative to the Aus to NZ route, not the NZ to Aus one. My bad.

However, it is too early in the season to use the tropical route, imho, although there have been only two cyclones this year. It is still cyclone season, hence, risky to go via Fiiji or New Caledonia. Later in the year, it is nice with the tradewinds, and depending on how weatherly the vessel, one can have a beam reach to New Caledonia, and a fast downwind leg to Oz.

When you are on a high wind passage, it is not uncommon to have various things break, look at it like a fact of life. They simply happen. You do your best to cope, and then move on.

Ann

PS to Cruising Cat 44': I had not meant to be snotty, and I apologize if my "bun fight" post offended you. I was merely trying to explain to Wotname that your post carried baggage from the other thread, not commenting on whether or not your irritation was justified. i posted in the hope it would stop further vituperation. Wrongo bongo, eh?

Ann
Old 10-03-2017, 15:40   #39

Anne, your post wasn't snotty. Wotnames was.

John McEnroe
44'cruisingcat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 16:02   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
.....vituperation....

Ann
Thanks Anne for my new word for the day, I shall use it as often as I can at the bar tonight, the mugs I drink with will have no idea, just got to work on the pronunciation......... 'vahy-too-puh-rey-shuh n"

Apologies for the thread drift
IslandHopper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 16:26   #41

Boat: 45ft Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by svseachange View Post
A lot of boats come acropper on the NZ to Australia leg. Those southerlies don't seem to be predictable. Is there any good strategy? Is it better to get to Australia via Fiji etc?
In season the Southerlies are reasonably predictable and roughly once a week. So pick a predicted gale/storm you think you can cope with and go out and greet it, hopefully more than half way across. Once through that youve got the best part of a week to get to customs.
DumnMad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 17:07   #42

Boat: a sailing boat

Passage to and from (say) Fiji, Tonga or New Cal is NOT a better option: not just what happened during the Queen Birthday Storm but also the many boats lost and abandoned every year. Just follow the news every year and you will know.

Think of poor Niņa.

Our friend lost his "very seaworthy" boat there. We to got kicked about like greenhorns.

Waters around NZ are simply no place to be for tropics warriors. And now and then they are no place to be for anybody.

Stay North of Minerva and you are mostly fine.

Cheers,
b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 17:35   #43

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
Passage to and from (say) Fiji, Tonga or New Cal is NOT a better option: not just what happened during the Queen Birthday Storm but also the many boats lost and abandoned every year. Just follow the news every year and you will know.

Think of poor Niņa.

Our friend lost his "very seaworthy" boat there. We to got kicked about like greenhorns.

Waters around NZ are simply no place to be for tropics warriors. And now and then they are no place to be for anybody.

Stay North of Minerva and you are mostly fine.

Cheers,
b.
Umm, Barney, "many boats lost and abandoned EVERY YEAR"??? Yes, there have been some lost over the last few decades, but not many every year. Last time I checked, several hundred yachts clear into NZ every year. They come from the tropical islands, Australia and sometimes direct from distant origins. Most of them later depart for other destinations.

They must not have known how dangerous that passage is!

Yes, it is one that requires some forethought and planning, but IMO it (northbound from NZ) does offer a reasonable alternative to direct from NZ to Oz.

FWIW, Ann and I have done three round trips to NZ, all but one of the passages were to/from the tropical islands, one from Brisbane to Opua. None were particularly pleasant, none were particularly stressful (except when we both came down with the Victoria A virus at the same time, but that was not due to weather!). We do watch the weather carefully, and are patient in waiting for a decent break.

Jim
Old 10-03-2017, 17:53   #44

Have done that trip to NZ twice and the first half was pleasant enough, not so much the last half. R
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 20:04   #45

Boat: Lightwave 38' Catamaran - now sold

The forecast for NSW weather for the approximate time they would have arrived was very bad, with extremely strong southerly winds predicted. This weather was around for more than a week and is still causing huge seas along the coast.

May not have been a good plan to leave when they did it seems. Glad all ended up relatively okay.
clownfishsydney is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress