Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-09-2011, 02:27   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
OMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
Most Mono owners feel secure enough not to feel they have to justify / be defensive about there choice of boat to complete strangers on the internet.
You might say so - but I tender as evidence the following:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boracay View Post
I thought we fully established the truth with this thread:- 101 reasons why monos are better than multis... .
Quote:
Originally Posted by xymotic View Post
What's the best weight of motor oil? A mono can survive a flip/knockdown.
Unless it Sinks

Quote:
A Cat's MOST stable position is up-side down.
You say this like the chances of each happening are similar, which of course they are not

Quote:
mono's can usually outperform a cat going into the wind, but cats are generally faster under sail.
Sweeping generalisation that is simply not true.

Quote:
Cats are vastly more expensive to moor, and harder to find a slip for in most of the country.
Again sweeping generalisation that is untrue in my part of the world.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 03:02   #17

Boat: Tanzer 7.5 sailboat | Current Designs Solstice GTS kayak
Re: Mono vs. Multi

Small mono's are better then small cats. Big cat's are better then big mono's.

I wouldn't be as confident dealing with an ocean storm in a 30ft cat as I would be in a 30ft mono. Having said that a 45ft cat is maybe safer then a 45ft mono.

So if you have the money to buy a monster cat, go for it. For the rest of us plebs it's a mono life.
alan_za is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 03:28   #18

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot

Quote:
Originally Posted by alan_za View Post
Small mono's are better then small cats. Big cat's are better then big mono's.

I wouldn't be as confident dealing with an ocean storm in a 30ft cat as I would be in a 30ft mono. Having said that a 45ft cat is maybe safer then a 45ft mono.

So if you have the money to buy a monster cat, go for it. For the rest of us plebs it's a mono life.
Very true when going to weather, I felt more comfortable going into really bad seas in my 31 bombay, then our 30 ;' endeavour cat however going down really really bad seas I am much more comfortable surfing down them in the cat then the mono, feels much more controllable. With proper planning etc not a huge issue, The cat is more of a coastal boat, Fl, bahamas etc, but is sooooo much better at anchor, where we spend more then half of our time. Sleeping in a mono in bad seas is Horrible if not impossible for some, where In our cat in rough seas (just not heading into them) I can sleep like a baby, Get what you can afford and enjoy it. If you can afford a large cat then thats the way to go, if you are crossing nasty seas constantly, and going to circumnav, might wanna go large mono,
Btw arent Manson Supremes the best anchors?????
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-09-2011, 04:53   #19

Boat: Jaguar 22 mono called Arfur.

Depends
If you want to go to particular places and are happy to live ashore for while now and then then a small mono will do what you want.
If you want to live aboard and have room to swing a small Cat, and Cruise, then a small Cat will do. Cruising means no fixed destination and no timetable.
Ocean crossings are always serious, a good small boat is safer than a cheap big boat. A cheap boat leaves more readies for repairs, but there's no corner shops on the oceans, a minimum standard is required in hull, rigging, and sails as well as the skipper.
Living only aboard is MUCH cheaper than living ashore (except with the parents) and if you don't like/tire of - the neighbours you can move on. But it does cost money to make a live aboard comfortable. There's another recent thread on that subject.
Old 20-09-2011, 06:41   #20

Boat: Beneteau 32.5

I currently own a monohull, but would love to get a catamaran. The main appeals to me are:

Sailing flatter
More deck space
More spread out staterooms
Shallower draft
Many have great visibility from the salon
Can put the dinghy on davits and still swim off the end of the hulls
Cockpit and salon on the same level

The reason, I don't have a catamaran now is simply cost. My $25K monohull has standing headroom and gets me to, from and around the Bahamas in relative comfort. A catamaran with standing headroom and reasonable clearance would likely cost four times that.

I briefly owned a pocket trimaran. I sold it because the under deck slamming was so bad, I couldn't make in progress to windward in even 4 foot seas.
nautical62 is offline   Reply With Quote