Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old Today, 13:26   #1

Boat: Hallberg Rassy
Moody 425 from 1990…any opinion/experiences?

Dear CF,

After decades of climbing into my Finnish/Swedish boats small V berths (whilst unconsciously practicing yoga positions) I am at the point that i want to walk into bed…

Hence I am looking for some time for boats with a nice aft cabin, ‘priced within reason’ and not too big (max 40-42ft)

Today I got a tip from my broker on a Moody 425 from 1990.
I heard about Moody but never seen one.

I like nice strong built quality yachts like Hallberg Rassy/Swan/Contest etc so didnt know what to expect.
I was totally impressed by the woodwork, center cockpit, deck layout, heavy winches but above all the aft cabin. On yacht exhibitions this size cabin start around 50 foot and higher.

As said earlier I have no experience, nor know any Moody yacht, they are not that present here in the Mediterranean.

Are there any CF’ers that have experience/ knowledge or opinion about the Moody 425? The saildata i can find but What is her behavior at sea/build quality etc.
The boat looks good ‘at its core’, all equipment totally outdated and needs to be replaced , she still has the original engine, a brand i can’t even pronounce, never heard of…. So a significant refit is crucial but she ‘ticks all the boxes for a boat that will take me again across the seas for a number of years but more comfortable.

Thx for your reaction,
Selkie
Selkie Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 14:43   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31
Re: Moody 425 from 1990…any opinion/experiences?

Selkie,

The Moody Owners Association is very active in supporting members, so for £20 a year an excellent asset.

https://www.moodyowners.info/

Designed by Bill Dixon, the Moody range from about 1983 onwards are all his work as head of the Design Office. We have the 31 made in 1989 and in design terms years ahead of the manufacturers at the time.

Would I buy a M425 or the M44 for a live aboard? yes and lots of people have done just this, a popular yacht built at a time when yacht were strongly built in Europe rather than todays glued together JenBavBen. Sadly they couldn't complete wiith high quality and rock bottom prices of the European yachts and eventually gave up. The brand name sold to Hanse.

What engine does she have, probably based on European Ford or Mistubishi.

Pete
Pete7 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc