Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2020, 23:19   #226

Boat: Morgan Classic 33
Re: More "cruisers" violate borders and more on S/V Zatara

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerrit Coetzee View Post
May I object?

I am rather interested in Zataras version.
Attacking the Defense before allowing his case to rest, clouds judgment.
Certainly, but I'm pretty sure his (their?) 'version' is by definition already a matter of public record. The Trumpsterian/Neoamerican idea of endless appeal in not (yet) a global phenomena.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 00:15   #227

I have been following this thread with interest. Some good points and some armchair coaching.
I am one of those who have watched a number of Zatara videos from an entertainment point of view.
What I would love to see happen, is for the Zatara clan to respond to this this thread of exactly what happened. My personal feeling is, for them to say we need to watch the video is a back door way of trying to get people to watch their channel.
Zatara, you guys have the floor and the perfect opportunity to lay to rest the commentators who have passed judgment without your defence. It would be really disappointing if you don’t use this chance to engage with people who have plenty to say and for people who would like to know what, why, when etc.
Joemase is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 00:49   #228

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joemase View Post
I have been following this thread with interest. Some good points and some armchair coaching.
I am one of those who have watched a number of Zatara videos from an entertainment point of view.
What I would love to see happen, is for the Zatara clan to respond to this this thread of exactly what happened. My personal feeling is, for them to say we need to watch the video is a back door way of trying to get people to watch their channel.
Zatara, you guys have the floor and the perfect opportunity to lay to rest the commentators who have passed judgment without your defence. It would be really disappointing if you don’t use this chance to engage with people who have plenty to say and for people who would like to know what, why, when etc.
I would suggest that anything put on youtube would be playing to Zatara's base...
Old 18-07-2020, 01:19   #229

Boat: Lancer 36

Quote:
Why do you think they need your views on their channel? I do not think the demographic of their viewers is progressive sailboat owners and want to be sailors, more likely it is mostly those who can travel vicariously through the "adventures" that Zatara presents. Should they answer to the members at large here for their actions? Not really, they have already been tried in absentia and found wanting by the majority of commenters, who think they have all the evidence they need already. Still, why not watch the video to get the Zatara version of events (usually the evidence and testimony is heard before guilt or innocence is proclaimed, except in certain regions of the world with rather different principles.)
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 02:48   #230

I followed this topic with interest and must admit I am a bit surprised to see fellow sailers base so many of their (negative) comments on what can only be described as presumptions. Hopefully these commentators do not plan their sail routes in the same way! Whether you like the Zatara or La Vagabonde or whoever crew and blogs is purely a personal matter. Do not follow what you do not personally find entertaining or informative. It is simple. The relevant question which Zatara will hopefully answer is simply- did they in any form or manner negatively influence the future sailing experience for future cruisers in the areas and jurisdictions under discussion or violate the rules of any countries?
Copper Sunset is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 02:56   #231

Boat: Privilege 482

Quote:
Originally Posted by alctel View Post
I mean most of that article is interviewing their defense lawyer, so he's probably going to put a spin on it, some of what he says should maybe taken with a grain of salt.

For example, if they just went to the bar to 'ask how to clear in' then why did all three of them go and not just one?
True that the lawyer is probably putting his best arguments out there, but having actually checked in to Honiara myself, what they did was somewhat understandable. There is only one place to land your dingy in the one and only small boat harbor in Honiara... the yacht club. So ending up there was a given, and not necessarily a decision driven by the need for booze, as some others have suggested. All 3 went ashore probably because in that part of the world, most officials have no desire to come out to the boat and expect you to present yourself to them. Yes, different than the way other places work, but that’s just the custom there. We did exactly the same thing. Anchored the boat off the yacht club (horrible anchorage there, btw), gathered up the family and went to the yacht club to see if someone could give us directions to the proper office in the huge commercial port that is next door.

The one unknown in the story is what they knew about the state of the lockdown before leaving New Cal. But it seems there was a process for them to possibly check in properly. If the attorney is to be believed, they were arrested before they even had a chance to follow the process.

Anyway, the point was to drive home the fact that we don’t know the entire story, and we shouldn’t be crucifying people based on assumptions and speculations. They may well be a***oles, but let’s find out for sure before we jump to that conclusion.

Since my original comment was deleted, I’ll add the link to the updated story again: EXPATS GUILTY - Solomon Star News.

Also, note to the mods: I’ve retained my normal signature with the link to our blog as others in the thread have similar, so I’m assuming you’ve found no issue with this happening.
Old 18-07-2020, 03:13   #232

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Quote:
Originally Posted by teneicm View Post

Also, note to the mods: I’ve retained my normal signature with the link to our blog as others in the thread have similar, so I’m assuming you’ve found no issue with this happening.
Just read the last few entries on your blog.... impressed...
Old 18-07-2020, 03:51   #233

I have read through the posts, and I am quite frankly puzzled. The Tonga news article mentions 3 men, 2Brits& 1 American, none of which were From Zatara. Why all the "hatred" spewed out toward Zatara? I've watched several of their videos, including the one posted when they left New Zealand, and quite frankly I don't understand what Sahara did that was so wrong. Unless I missed it, they were not arrested for illegal entry. As for the post re Zatara's claim to be able to stay at sea for 6 months, if they can good for them. Why should they go back to Texas? A lot of the criticism that has been voiced seems to be rooted in petty jealousy with a strong dose of the unfortunate cancel culture that is rampant in the world. True, the father can be irritating at times with his satirical comments, but when I watch their videos all I see is a family that is living their dream. If you don't like their version of life don't watch it.
LateStart is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 06:09   #234

Boat: 47' Olympic Adventure

Quote:
No profit in it.

Curious that Zatara55 has been a member since 2016, but has only just made their first post. A forum works on a sense of community - with the members generously giving of their experience, curiosity, wit, sarcasm, etc. The fact that their sole post is a blatant attempt to drum up views to the site that earns them a few sheckles, is a clear indication that theirs motivations are anything but community-minded.
Lodesman is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 06:19   #235

Quote:
Originally Posted by LateStart View Post
I have read through the posts, and I am quite frankly puzzled. The Tonga news article mentions 3 men, 2Brits& 1 American, none of which were From Zatara. Why all the "hatred" spewed out toward Zatara?
You might have to actually read the whole article!
I know it's a chore reading an article that long - 7 whole sentences, but hang in there; you can do it.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf tonga times.pdf (68.8 KB, 62 views)
Old 18-07-2020, 07:00   #236

Boat: a sailing boat

I told you so.

They are pro entertainers. Some free marketing at CF never hurts.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 07:32   #237

Boat: crowther trimaran 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Discovery 15797 View Post
SE Asia will not be as forgiving to his arrogance and disregard to authority as those in Tonga or Fiji. Maybe he'll figure it out.

Once I told the officials i had no engine, only sail and oar. In at least 7 countries including several in SE Asia, they were much more forgiving and forgot about fees and also did not question my lack of clearance from previous ports.

I didn't actually put anyone at risk of a virus, this is pretty selfish. We never had a lockdown in the US because people never stopped coming to the marina on weekends from hundreds of miles away, and boats never stopped traveling on the ICW. So these people also seem very selfish.

I'm not sure how people think they have the right to spread the virus. But I"m also not sure how people think they have the right to spew carbon into the air putting all of our futures at risk to do something that you can easily do with just the sails!!
seandepagnier is offline   Reply
Old 18-07-2020, 13:08   #238

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
No profit in it.

Curious that Zatara55 has been a member since 2016, but has only just made their first post. A forum works on a sense of community - with the members generously giving of their experience, curiosity, wit, sarcasm, etc. The fact that their sole post is a blatant attempt to drum up views to the site that earns them a few sheckles, is a clear indication that theirs motivations are anything but community-minded.
Funny how the forum rules prohibit rudeness, yet most of this thread has been that.....why would the crew of Zatara want to come in here and deal with all the negativity when they are doing their best to enjoy life
Old 18-07-2020, 14:13   #239

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
Funny how the forum rules prohibit rudeness, yet most of this thread has been that.....why would the crew of Zatara want to come in here and deal with all the negativity when they are doing their best to enjoy life
You're confusing criticism for rudeness. When someone posts their activities to the www (whether for fun or profit) they open themselves up to criticism. No it's not fair, but it's reality. Between what they have posted to their own site, and what has been reported in the open media, there is plenty to be critical of. Zatara is a member of this forum, and has an equal opportunity to set the record straight. As to your question "why would they come in here?" then the answer is obvious - the free advertising for their site. Oh yeah, they did that.
Old 18-07-2020, 14:32   #240

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lodesman View Post
You're confusing criticism for rudeness. When someone posts their activities to the www (whether for fun or profit) they open themselves up to criticism. No it's not fair, but it's reality. Between what they have posted to their own site, and what has been reported in the open media, there is plenty to be critical of. Zatara is a member of this forum, and has an equal opportunity to set the record straight. As to your question "why would they come in here?" then the answer is obvious - the free advertising for their site. Oh yeah, they did that.
No, I am not confused; the "criticism" has been consistently rude, with assumptions as to their character, actions, intentions, effects, etc. As to why they came to post on the thread; i will not assume as to their reasons, but it makes sense that a member here told them of the controversy directly. I doubt it will add much to their view count or their financial bottom line.
Closed Thread

Tags
cruise, cruiser