Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2016, 09:15   #1

Boat: Bristol 29.9
Mostly sailing or mostly motoring to the Caribbean?

We are still 3 years, 5 months, and 16 days away from cutting the lines, but I'm not motivated at work today so my thoughts naturally turn to daydreaming about the future.

While we save up and work on the boat, I read a lot of blogs by people who are cruising so I can live vicariously through them. I've noticed that many, many people, as they work their way from the Bahamas down towards the Caribbean islands farther to the southeast seem to be motoring. A lot. I've also read a lot of people's posts on this forum where they mention that they motor substantially more than they thought they would.

I hate motoring with a passion. I'm one of those people that would get rid of the engine if I could. I have no problem with waiting as long as necessary to get a good wind direction/strength so we don't have to motor. I'm good with ghosting along for hours if it means I don't have to turn on the engine. If we don't have a schedule (with the exception of wanting to be out of a hurricane-prone area during the hurricane season), is it possible to actually do more sailing than motoring? Or do I need to start rethinking our itinerary - maybe Bermuda and then straight south? Maybe Cuba, Mexico, down towards Panama, etc.? Or do I have to readjust my anti-motoring attitude?
Old 14-11-2016, 09:26   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
Re: Mostly sailing or mostly motoring to the Caribbean?

If you have the time to wait possibly a couple of weeks to get somewhere that you could in three days of motoring, you will be fine if not in the ICW.
My problem is I have only my vacation time and once that is gone, time to go back to work, so its rare that I get enough wind to sail, that is also in the direction that I want to go.
Also I am sure a lot has to do with how good a sailing boat you have and how good a sailor you are, there are time when I could have tacked back and forth into a direct headwind, very slowly making progress when I have said screw it, I'm cranking that damned noisy thing
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:28   #3

Boat: Shannon Pilothouse 38

I think that (as you mentioned) not having a schedule is paramount to your goal of not motoring. Plan your trip in time, not mileage. If you think of a list of distant countries to visit, that's great, but be willing to skip any or all of them if the winds don't allow you to get there.

For every day of sailing... try to think of at least 3 destinations for every day: short, medium and long. The short destination should be no more than 15 or 20 miles in case the day is really slow. For longer passages offshore, my experience is that it's easier to avoid motoring. I have no problem making 1 knot of SOG if I'm spending the night offshore regardless. It's the desire to get to the anchorage before being able to sleep that usually makes me fire up the motor and put the hammer down.

This can get complicated if you are trying to beat bad weather, get to the anchorage before sunset, change crew on a schedule, etc. Also, sometimes there won't be enough anchorage options to have short days. In that case, you can stay where you are until the wind is right to allow you to have a long day. See what happens... not to be cliche but remember that sailing is the destination!
OrangeCrush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:31   #4

Boat: Solaris Sunstar 36' catamaran

CThoops -

Get yourself a copy of Bruce Van Sant's book The Gentleman's Guide to Passages South aka The Thornless Path.
It will give you much perspective on sailing vs. motoring to the Caribbean, not to mention a whole bunch of other info.
Old 14-11-2016, 09:37   #5

Who really cares, except you? What other people do or have done should not enter into it at all if that is what YOU want to do, right?

Unless where you're going always, always, always has winds on the nose and you don't like to tack, what's the beef?

Do what YOU want to do.

Safe journey, fair winds, have fun.
Catalina 34 #224 (1986) C34IA Secretary
Cowichan Bay, BC, SR/FK, M25, Rocna 10 (22#) (NZ model)
Stu Jackson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 09:39   #6

Boat: temporarily boatless...

First, I'm with you on the motoring thing. I turn that key only when absolutely necessary (channels, marinas, and antsy passengers...).

If you look at the pilot charts you'll see the likelihood of getting a favorable wind vector at anywhere along that course. Odds are you'll be hard on the wind much of the time in the winter months, and in the no-go zone much of the summer months. But if you have unlimited time and are willing to wait for a favorable wind (maybe 1/6 days in the summer and 2/5 days in the winter), I would say yes, you'll be able to sail it! There are plenty of anchorages everywhere along the way until the Turks & Caicos, once you cross over to Hispanola and Puerto Rico it's a little more limited, and that part of the journey might be your biggest challenge. But not out of the question at all.

I envy you! Have fun. Pete
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:03   #7

We have sailed probably pretty close to 90% of the time, starting with the Atlantic crossing which was 95% sailing and then through the wind wards and leewards which was closer to 98% of the time, down to the ABC's which was 100% and to Colombia which was around 98% to the San Blas which was 100% and around to Panama Which was 75% then on to Providencia which was 100% on over to the Bay Islands which was 70% around Belize which was around 50% and then to Guatemala which was around 50%. So while these percentages are just a rough estimate it's pretty clear in the wind wards and leewards as long as you pick your weather you can sail almost 100% of the time, other areas not so much. We did a couple of years in the Med and we motored close to half the time which is why it's nicked as the Motor Tera Niue.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:05   #8
cruiser

You will most likely change your mind after the first few times of going nowhere in becalmed conditions, especially in rocky seas with the sails slapping/banging back and forth. But basically, it doesn't matter what you do regarding the use of your engine. Use it as much or as little as you wish.... nobody cares.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:21   #9

Boat: Valiant 40

It's a really a function of prevailing winds, your resources (water, food, fuel), safety, comfort, and time. Every situation is different and you need to weigh factors off against each other

Sailing east in the Grenadines, against the trades in winter, is going to be slow and rough, but it's done and if that's what you want to do, you can do it.

On longer ocean passages, I tend to balance out resources vs. time vs. the weather forecast. If the wind dies, I'll kick on the engine if it will get me to where there is wind, if I know I have enough fuel to maintain a margin of safety. Made a passage from NY to Virgin Gorda and we arrived with less than 5 gallons of fuel left, after motoring through some extended lulls, to get to more wind and avoid bad weather pushing south behind us. Same passage a year before, hardly used a drop of fuel. Crossing the Atlantic, both ways, have ended up only using the motor leaving port and entering port with an average speed of 7+ knots between. So it all depends.

I absolutely detest motoring, but I will do it in situations where weather, safety, and comfort outweigh it. My decision point is usually if I'm doing less than 5 knots made good. That's when I start chewing my lip and weighing factors.

I think the question of "mostly motor" or "mostly sail" is going to give you inconclusive results based on the diverse preferences and locations of the respondents.
Suijin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:44   #10

Boat: 15' Catboat, Bristol 35.5

On the Chesapeake Bay I have noticed that most sailboats are motoring regardless of wind direction and speed. Often times they could be sailing faster than motoring. About 80% I would say. I assume they are renters.
kmacdonald is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 10:59   #11

Community Sponsor

Boat: Mahe 36, Helia 44 Evo, MY 37

Sailboats are one of the most efficient vehicles on the planet, both sailing and motoring.

If you have a day where the current and wind are against you and you choose not to stay where you may have already spent a few days then start that little 30 hp diesel engine and go.

It will charge up your batteries and make more hot water for showers. Where is the down side?
Cotemar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 11:23   #12
cruiser

One gallon of diesel is all it takes to move our 25 ton boat 7 miles at a speed of 6 knots. During this time, it also charges the batteries and produces 34 gallons of fresh water via the Spectra watermakers and heats up 14 gallons of hot water.

There's no downside to running the engine for an hour or two.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 11:26   #13

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

No wonder many choose motor vessels.

Old 14-11-2016, 12:13   #14

Boat: temporarily boatless...

If you don't understand the downside to running a diesel engine, as opposed to the the wind in your sails, there's probably no point in trying to explain it.
pete33458 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2016, 12:19   #15

Boat: Bristol 29.9

Just to be clear, it doesn't bother me in the slightest whether other people motor everywhere, sail everywhere, or a combination of the two - it's all good. It's just that for me, I really don't like motoring (barring safety issues, of course). Based on anectodal evidence, I was simply starting to wonder whether I needed to start warming up to the idea.

It sounds like generally we should be able to sail as much as we want, as long as we're willing to adjust and be patient, which is great. And I will certainly pick up a copy of Van Sant's book.

Thanks!

Tags
Caribbean, motor, rib, sail, sailing