Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-12-2015, 11:44   #16

Re: Motor Sailer, lancer 27 or other. Don't laugh.

I think that is the picture that's being painted. Ton of room interior wise. Trailerable, cuts down on maintenance costs. Motors OK sails OK in theory. Would get alot of use out of it. From what ive read its a good boat for single handling too. Seems like as long as I don't come across a large log, I should be good to go. Now I'm just waiting for the seller to get back to me.
Sailinish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 14:10   #17

If you can stomach sailing an ugly boat, go for it. Kinda gross.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 15:38   #18

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

What makes one sailboat uglier than the next?

Sent from my SM-G360V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:00   #19

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

Amateur designer (or professional who used to design wheelbarrows); penny pinching builder; incongruous design requirements (must be able to sail (sort of) AND tow a water skier (Lancer).
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:18   #20

Boat: TPI Lagoon Catamaran 42'

The two common powersailors are the Magregor 27 and the Lancer 27. Not at all like a Motorsailor, ( Fisher , Albin Vega etc.) they can scoot at 10kts-15kts and yet sail fairly well. I would like to know how many of the nay sayers, ( or total respondents to this op ) have ever been on either one?
These boats can be a lot of fun. You can learn to sail on either and carry that knowledge to any sailboat you use in the future. No, they are not a great run about nor great sailing machines. given the need to get home fast they both will get you there faster than a 40' racing sailboat. Both are trailerable and who doesn't wish they could haul out without having to pay a yard?
I was land yachting a while back and into the campground came a guy with a Toyota truck trailering a Lancer powersailor. In the bed of the truck he had a BMW off road bike. He invited me to go catch trout in the morning and we sailed around Lake Tahoe in the afternoon. He had crossed the country using it as a motorhome in campgrounds or would launch and stayaboard in larger waterways. I was and still am impressed with the lifestyle he had made with this "boaterhome". There will always be someone on here spouting supposed knowledge of how poorly built someone else's boat is. Getting them to give specific cases they experienced is pretty rare. For what you are doing and where you are starting either of these boats are fine. Just remember, older outboards can be finicky and in many inland places 2 stroke outboards are prohibited.
duefocena is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 16:29   #21
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailinish View Post
Hi guys,
I scour messages in your forum all the time. Got a question about a lancer 27 power sailor. I'm looking to buy a sailboat as boat and use it as a part time live aboard (I can live modestly at times). I am not an experienced sailor but have done a bit this summer and really enjoyed it. Motor sailors were not on my radar but I have been looking at this Lancer 27 and thought, maybe.
I don't have near as much time on my hands as all my sailing buddies. I have weekends and if I want to cruise the gulf islands this might not be a horrible idea. I know everyone is cringing (my friends included) but I figure I get the best of both worlds. Even if it doesn't sail well I can still learn to sail and if I have to be home Monday morning I don't have to worry.
This particular Lancer is for sale in Bellingham Washington has a 60hp engine. I like the layout. I actually kind of like the looks. Are there thoughts on this particular model or any other motorsailors?
Howdy and Aboard CF!

The Lancer 27 is an odd duck. I have seen them listed before for about $12k.

Here is a boat that is close to that in price, but I would choose this over the Lancer.

Why?

Because it has a diesel inboard with relatively low hours, it has had some updating done to it with some newer rigging and equipment over the last few years, and most importantly, because of using a boat and possibly living aboard in the PNW and cruising there, it is a pilothouse boat with a second steering position or helm (wheel) inside. In your area, I would guess this feature would make it easier to sell in the future, and more pleasant to have while you own it.

You could have this trucked up to Seattle.

I believe this boat has been listed for sale for a few years on various sites (I could be mistaken) so the owner may be very ready to sell.

Good luck on your boat choice, and have fun sailing!

Gulf 29 Pilothouse. Asking $13.5k

https://sfbay.craigslist.org/nby/boa/5346442751.html
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpeg
Views:	541
Size:	51.6 KB
ID:	114917  
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 06:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by tuffr2 View Post
What makes one sailboat uglier than the next?

The sheer, the lines, the way it sits, its all about proportions. A beautiful sailboat makes you want to keep looking at it long after it has passed. Compare a Hinckley 35 pilot with a Columbia 35 sloop.
reed1v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:09   #23

Boat: 2018 Seadoo GTX 230

The best looking boats are the sleek 'go fast' boats by far. Then Navy Destroyers with their sleek look. The bath tub shapes of sailboats are only functional but have the looks that only a mother could love.

tuffr2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:18   #24

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

I have both: 28 motorsailer Imexus (built in Poland) and a large cat. Started with motorsailer 3 years ago. Still enjoy it. Will put on water next spring.Will go to inner lakes,probably. It was good enough for a week sailing arround finnish isles 6 people (including 2 pirates 8 & 4yo,who consume more space than 4 adults). Can fold the mast and go to the city aquatoria (no bridge problem). Regarding the motor - new / old - nether know what will get and where will be cut: I put on the boat brand new Honda 90hp. Motor is still on warranty. Returning from Finland just 200 mtrs from visible rocks the motor went down...And this one is not easy fix on he water. Finally,we'd came back safe. Few days later,called a mechano...motor worked perfectly...
So,regarding the maker/model - it only the matter like/do't like. And,the budget,off cause.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 07:18   #25

Boat: President 43 Sportfish

2--some have a tin ear for music. You might have a tin eye for sailboats.
Terra Nova is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-12-2015, 11:31   #26

Boat: Lancer 44' motorsailer

I recently bought a 1981 Lancer 44 ft motorsailer, and I love it. I'm a novice, and have been looking for a boat to eventually live on and do coastal cruising, maybe blue water someday, and this boat suits me perfectly. Many far more experienced folk who've toured her say she's "good bones" (contrary to all the comments that say Lancers were poorly built). I'm bringing her back to life, one system at a time. Bought her in San Diego and motored up to SF, and the Lancer was strong all the way. I find her the ideal cross between having spaciousness in the cabin (not either out in the elements in order to see or down inside a space capule where you may as be in outer space), the full power of twin diesels (ok, yours has one, no big), and the option of turning them both off and letting the wind be your locomotion. And there's enough to sail, for sure. I've no desires to be hard core sailing, but there's plenty to learn about sailing with the Lancer. Peaceful.

The Lancer motorsailer is not a sexy boat from looking at it, but I describe it feels built from the inside out. So spacious, practical, and strong. I'm learning most anything can be repaired or replaced, so if you like her, go get her. The motorsailer is ideal for folks like you and me, and I'd say Lancer is fine.
skwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-12-2015, 02:13   #27

Boat: Imexus 28, Malcolm Tennant 46 Timeliner cat

What is important to decide: if the motorsailer will stay in the water, or will travel by road. In the last case the beam is critical to stay within the gauge and no need to apply for any out of gauge permits to move the boat to/from the yard and to any destination ashore. McGregor fit it, some Hunter do. Not sure for Lancer.
YARGESOL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2016, 17:12   #28

We bought a Lancer 27 last year and for us it's been a wonderful choice. Sounds like your considerations are similar to ours when we bought it. If you like to chat that would be great.
SiriusB is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lancer, motor, sail