Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-02-2021, 11:50   #61

Boat: Reinke 13 M Ice (45 ft aluminium sloop)
Send a message via Skype™ to SY-Breakpoint
Re: Motor sailor definition.

A short, technical definition is: Any sailboat who's propulsion output power excides 5hp per metric ton is counted a motor sailer.
SY-Breakpoint is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 12:33   #62

Boat: Colvin, Saugeen Witch (Aluminum), 34'

In her former life, Panope was unquestionably an auxiliary sailboat (tiny engine, tiny prop, no inside steering, traditional schooner rig).

After my extensive modifications, some definitions would now conclude her to be a motorsailer (large engine, large diameter prop, wheel house, simplified rig (although sail area did not change)).

I have no problem with the motorsailer designation.

But, sailing performance is actually BETTER than before the transition. Especially in light wind.

Go figure.

Steve
Panope is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 17:39   #63
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY-Breakpoint View Post
A short, technical definition is: Any sailboat who's propulsion output power excides 5hp per metric ton is counted a motor sailer.
Thats 's an interesting definition but it needs some clarity

Why 5hp per tonne?
I am assuming that is based on 100% displacement tonnage?
My own 65 ft schooner displaces 42 tons fully loaded, which means by that definition it requires 210hp to be considered a motorsailor

Boat is powered by a single Perkins T6 3544 and according to Perkins, max power is 158hp with turbo.

At 1700 RPM light conditios I can do 8 knots which I consider hull speed, so your 5hp/metric ton seems high.

Not scientific, but to me a more accurate definition of a motorsailor relies more on the mindset of the skipper, who uses his engine whenever more convient to tacking upwind or whenever SOG falls below a certain level

I am quite happy with that label for myself and the one advice I would give other motorsailors is to pay as much attention to alignignment, noise insulation, vibration dampening of Engine room and above prop as you would with mast tuning and rigging.

The result is a quiet, efficient motorsailor where in my case I can do hull speed in 10 knots of useable wind with that quiet Perkins, turning slowly at 1000 rpm., just sipping at the fuel reserves.
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 20:29   #64
Sponsoring Vendor

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Uniflite 31, 1973

This one is definitely a motor sailor, sorry I don't have a pic handy but here's some specs . Monk design custom built 91ft ketch, 110 ft main mast, twin 250 HP, full variable pitch props by Hundestead, 3000 USG fuel, huge water capacity and a walk-in fridge/freezer. Beyond the propulsion system it is 100% sailboat.
Old 05-02-2021, 22:57   #65

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: FP Belize Maestro 43 and OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by SY-Breakpoint View Post

My Belize 43 catamaran is around 10 - 11 metric tons (8.1 Lightship, 11.5 max) displacement. So 50-55HP? That would mean my standard 2 x 40 HP Yanmars puts me way up in the motorsailer category. I think not!
StuM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2021, 23:50   #66

Boat: Other peoples

Seems its a bit of a rabbit hole.
Lucky Luke 1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 11:37   #67

Engine power : boat displacement/size. I suggest that 3HP/tonne could be the dividing line.
skenn_ie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 15:42   #68

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by StuM View Post
My Belize 43 catamaran is around 10 - 11 metric tons (8.1 Lightship, 11.5 max) displacement. So 50-55HP? That would mean my standard 2 x 40 HP Yanmars puts me way up in the motorsailer category. I think not!
wonder if this is connected with changing perceptions ? once upon a time any sailboat with even a moderately sized engine was unusual and so was regarded as a 'motorsailor'

these days we are use to bigger engines in all yachts, and so a motorsailor needs to have a seriously big engine to be different ?

btw, we are 7.5mt & 110hp or nearly 15hp/mt...and i'd still class us as a sailing cat

cheers,
Old 06-02-2021, 17:04   #69
CF Adviser

For some reason, the term "motorsailor" is considered derogatory. Probably a carryover from when pure sailing ships started to have mechanical power on board for maneuvering and the purists considered that weak.

Obviously in early yachts, the power to weight efficiency of diesel engines was poor
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Powe...0in%20turbines.
So they were used sparingly and were never depended on.
Lee shores were still lee shores if you had a weak auxiliary, so sailing into and out of anchorages was still the mindset

These days with huge marina complexes , increased traffic with separation lanes, reliable diesel engines with great power to weight ratios are available to all.
So I would say that 99.5% of us are sailors who motor and our cruising circumstances dictate the amount under sail, power or both.
Old 06-02-2021, 17:07   #70

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
wonder if this is connected with changing perceptions ? once upon a time any sailboat with even a moderately sized engine was unusual and so was regarded as a 'motorsailor'

these days we are use to bigger engines in all yachts, and so a motorsailor needs to have a seriously big engine to be different ?

btw, we are 7.5mt & 110hp or nearly 15hp/mt...and i'd still class us as a sailing cat

cheers,
I think everyone can agree that this picture depicts a motorsailer

[NB: I insist that "motor sailor" is a person. Motorsailer is a boat.]
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-06 at 8.04.07 PM.jpg
Views:	58
Size:	109.9 KB
ID:	232014  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 17:15   #71
CF Adviser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMF Sailing View Post
I think everyone can agree that this picture depicts a motorsailer

[NB: I insist that "motor sailor" is a person. Motorsailer is a boat.]
I would describe it as a speedboat with mast and sails, meant for protected waters only.

I remember when those came out... not sure how popular they became but it did fit the niche of a weekend sailor who liked to get their fast
Old 06-02-2021, 17:17   #72

Boat: Cheoy lee perry 48

Probably ,the Laurent Giles Carbineer48 or the Salar 40 were some of the first production good motor sailers ,capable in all ocean conditions . ⚓️⛵️
Searles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 17:24   #73

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVNightWatch View Post
And, I may add has twice as much chance of getting you back home alive!

Seriously, motor sailors like my little 27 foot Dutch built Dartsailer27 have limitations on how far they can heel. My diesel engine does not want to go past 15°. Motor sailors typically like to sail more upright. And are heavier, both in the build and in their gross tonnage.
Equally seriously, my martinis do not like to be heeled beyond 10 degrees.
Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 17:25   #74

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
I would describe it as a speedboat with mast and sails,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pelagic View Post
not sure how popular they became but did fit the niche of a weekend sailor who liked to get their fast
They were controversial. Anathema to "pure sailors," trailer-able. I think I've seen them in Salem Sound, a sheltered body of water with plenty of islands, ports, and places to anchor and fish. Perfect for that.

I definitely have taken people out on a 37-foot cruising yacht who would rather have been on this

https://www.boattrader.com/boat/2004...6m-sl-7689120/
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 17:46   #75
CF Adviser

Yes I can definately see the attraction say in the Gulf Islands when you wan to get to different early morning fishing spots if the bite is on somewhere else.

I guess the sail is probably used when winds are perfect and as a "get home" feature.

Never saw one, but I like the versatility and they made the profile look good

Tags
motor, sail