Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2021, 18:29   #76

Re: Motor sailor definition.

It appears to be a MacGregor 26 version M. with models designed for sailing and motor-sailing. It has a fractional sloop rig, a transom-hung rudder and a centerboard or daggerboard keel, depending on the model, with flooding water ballast. The ballast is drained for easy trailerable, road transport.

About 5,000 MacGregor 26 were made between 1986 and 2003 making it the most popular day cruiser in the world.

Montanan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 18:43   #77

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot

Not a motorsailer, but a motor boat, sail-assisted. The sails can provide a half-knot if wind is from the beam.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02700-1.jpg
Views:	51
Size:	103.8 KB
ID:	232020  
Old 06-02-2021, 20:18   #78

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Montanan View Post
It appears to be a MacGregor 26 version M. with models designed for sailing and motor-sailing. It has a fractional sloop rig, a transom-hung rudder and a centerboard or daggerboard keel, depending on the model, with flooding water ballast. The ballast is drained for easy trailerable, road transport.

About 5,000 MacGregor 26 were made between 1986 and 2003 making it the most popular day cruiser in the world.

Thank you for posting this video! I knew what the 26M was, but I'd never seen one sail like that.

The way she handled the gale is impressive, but what really struck me was how she seemed to be boiling along under full sail in a breeze.

It's also cool how you blow your ballast, like a submarine, when it's time to be a speedboat.

Versatile little thing.
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2021, 22:32   #79

I own 2 yachts I think of as motor sailors.

One is a Prout Escale catamaran. Heavily built solid fiberglass hull. It can motor at 7.5kts, range 1400 miles. Under sail it achieves 7 - 8 kts but needs 20kts wind to get going and reefing begins at 30kts. So motoring or sailing will get you there at the same speed.

The second is an Athol Burns 50ft motor sailor. Heavy displacement timber yacht. It can motor at 7 - 8 kts, range 2000 miles. It sails at 6 - 8kts and needs at least 20kts to get moving. Reefing begins at 30kts. So motoring or sailing will get you there at the same speed.

Another characteristic common to both these yachts is that combining engine and sails firstly allows you to point more directly toward your destination and secondly significantly reduces fuel consumption, compared to engine alone.
john manning is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 08:13   #80

Boat: Foutain Pajot, Lipari 41
Send a message via Skype™ to Wolfgang.Schau

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Luke 1 View Post
Forgive me if its a silly question.
What defines a motor sailor from a sail boat? Seems most sail boats have a motor..
A sailboat has an auxiliary motor, but its main power comes from the sails. A motor sailor has an auxiliary sail, but is main power comes from the engine. Usually they cannot point very high, about 60 degrees. It is very hard to tack against the wind under sail. The advantage of the sail on a motor sailor is to stabilize the boat and yes, down wind you can save some fuel.
Wolfgang.Schau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 11:33   #81

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgang.Schau View Post
A sailboat has an auxiliary motor, but its main power comes from the sails. A motor sailor has an auxiliary sail, but is main power comes from the engine. Usually they cannot point very high, about 60 degrees. It is very hard to tack against the wind under sail. The advantage of the sail on a motor sailor is to stabilize the boat and yes, down wind you can save some fuel.
There's no law against a motorsailer having also a good sailing performance. If you know of such a rule please inform
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 14:24   #82

Boat: Ocean Alexander tri cabin 52'

It has a bigger engine and different hull design. It does both but neither well.
MVDarlin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2021, 16:31   #83
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MVDarlin View Post
It has a bigger engine and different hull design. It does both but neither well.
What about in combination...
...ie "Motorsailing"
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 03:54   #84

Boat: Mascot 28 pilothouse motorsailer 28ft

Another pilothouse motorsailer.

motorsailor-the person operating a vessel using the motor & sails together.

motorsailer/aux. sailboat-a vessel that has motor(s) & sail(s).

pilothouse motorsailer-a type of vessel with motor(s) & sail(s) designed to operate under sail and motor simultaneously most of the time.It is equipped with a solid pilothouse with inside steering & engine controls.They often have exterior steering & controls.

Len

Old 08-02-2021, 04:19   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rotten Ricky View Post
Can anyone tell me why the rig is so short on the motor-sailors I have seen?

I would have thought that with a hull of fairly heavy displacement giving great stablity, that the motor sailor could have a really tall rig. This would give greater ability to sail without the motor, or boost the forward movement with the motor running. I find this puzzling!

Cheers, RR.

Relative mast height coupled with a pilot house are my preferred visual shortcuts to determining if I am looking at a motor sailor or just a pilot house sailboat. Boat owners' apparently don't like it when you board announced and head down to the engine room.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 04:41   #86

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisr View Post
our 12m catamaran has 110hp. does this make us a motor sailor ??

cheers,

Intrigued. Can you share more? So is that twin 55 hp diesels or 55 hp outboards?

For me, if I want to spend time with the wife on the boat (also known as "staying married") I'll be ditching the monohull and acquiring a 40'+ catamaran. Having cat that could motor at 10+ knots for at least 6 hours without adding a fuel bladder or over-revving the engine for hours on end is appealing to me.
Rennsail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 06:09   #87

I have a Hunter 456 center cockpit with a 10,000 pounds keel at 6 feet. Total weight 33,000 pounds. Much more than in the brochure. It is very powerful and heavy. Cruises at 8.3 knots woth motor and same with sails. (1000 sq feet sail plan). Full enclosure. I consider that boat a motor sailer.
gillesgiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 14:23   #88

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rennsail View Post
Intrigued. Can you share more? So is that twin 55 hp diesels or 55 hp outboards?

For me, if I want to spend time with the wife on the boat (also known as "staying married") I'll be ditching the monohull and acquiring a 40'+ catamaran. Having cat that could motor at 10+ knots for at least 6 hours without adding a fuel bladder or over-revving the engine for hours on end is appealing to me.

we have a pair of yanmar 4JH2TE (ie turbo) diesels. rated @ 55hp each - although the girls might have let a few ponies escape over the years...

too big for the boat really but it is nice to have the power when needed.

combined with 750L fuel capacity, we can motor @ 6k for 10 days or 9k for 3 days (?)

btw, i know some folk like them but personally i would NEVER EVER have petrol outboards on anything except the dink !

cheers,
Old 08-02-2021, 20:04   #89

Boat: THEN: Indefatigable Bristol Caravel #172; NOW: 42 makes of other people's boats (and counting)

Here's a manufacturer of sailing yachts and "motor sailers" with their specs... does this help?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Screen Shot 2021-02-08 at 11.02.18 PM.png
Views:	52
Size:	157.4 KB
ID:	232165  
We ran aground at 2300. Dad fired off flares all night, to no avail. In the morning, Mom called the Coast Guard and demanded to know why they had not responded. "But ma'm," came the abashed reply. "Yesterday was July 4th!"
DMF Sailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 21:00   #90

Boat: Fisher pilothouse sloop 32'

Quote:
Originally Posted by deblen View Post
Another pilothouse motorsailer.

motorsailor-the person operating a vessel using the motor & sails together.

motorsailer/aux. sailboat-a vessel that has motor(s) & sail(s).

pilothouse motorsailer-a type of vessel with motor(s) & sail(s) designed to operate under sail and motor simultaneously most of the time.It is equipped with a solid pilothouse with inside steering & engine controls.They often have exterior steering & controls.

Len

Len, I am the owner of a Fisher 32 so obviously appreciate the design, but that catfisher sure is one ugly member of the family.

Life is 10% the cards you are dealt, 90% how you play em
Uncle Bob is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
motor, sail