Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-03-2020, 08:54   #16

Boat: crowther trimaran 33
Re: Motoring the ICW with limited experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack Sanford View Post
We have completed the ICW a few times, and my suggestion is that you begin your travels each day just before low tide, and travel only on a rising tide. That way if you run aground (and you will), the rising tide will easily lift you off. Between navigation and other boat traffic, you will need to concentrate a fair amount, so plan to limit your travel to about 6 hours per day.
in north carolina there are wind driven tides that are more difficult to predict, not like lunar tides you can get stuck for days. Better to know the channel or if unsure go very slowly.

If you only navigate on rising tides you will be fighting currents at times which can make it very tedious. I was able to sail from charleston to georgetown in just a day because I passed inlets at slack water and always had a favorable current. I ran aground twice and jibed the main to turn the boat then sheet in quickly to heel and beat off.

Much of the day running wing and wing at 7 knots over ground up the ICW.
seandepagnier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:01   #17

Boat: Westerly, Corsair, 36

I'm sure you can do it. I bought my boat in MD 4 years ago and brought it to Florida via the ICW. I had limited experience and had never anchored before. My friend was on his boat and I on mine, both single handed. I stayed inside to avoid single handed overnights. We used Skipper Bob's book of Anchorages, which is a fantastic resource, and Active Captain. We would get together each night and plan 3 possible stops for the next evening. Usually 2 nights anchoring and the 3rd in an inexpensive fixed price marina.

It was great! The best way to get experience. With all the tools available and Google it's not hard. As mentioned be sure to get tow insurance. I used it my first day. I was towed into Solomon Island where I had coincidentally originally bought the boat and the broker helped me sort it out. Even when there were problems like that it didn't dampen my spirits, because I was on my boat having an adventure. Leaving Norfolk you can use The Dismal Swamp Canal!

In summary, try it yourself and enjoy the experience. You can always change your mind.

If it uploads, my friend took this pic from his boat on the way south. My first ketch and first time with all the sails up.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	download_20151107_193402-1.jpg
Views:	95
Size:	288.1 KB
ID:	210948  
Kismet36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:04   #18
TBW

Boat: LeBlanc trawler; 50 ft

Be sure to check on the Centerville bridge. Long term work going on.
Some closures.
TBW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:17   #19

The ICW is easy and a lot of fun - especially if you aren't in a hurry. By the third or fourth time it starts getting old but most people find their first trip wonderful. Leave going offshore for next year.

The biggest challenge to the ICW is to not run aground. Get an iPad (with cellular which has an accurate GPS) and load AquaMap. It has ActiveCaptain and also USACE surveys with are currently the best way to handle shallow spots on the ICW. My wife an I trade off duties. One steers and watches the chart plotter, the other watches the iPad. Gives us both something to do. Navionics also has a good app with Sonarcharts but I've pretty much switched over the AquaMap for the ICW. Once you have your iPad ready, go to Bob Sherer's site and download his routes for the tough stretches of the ICW into AquaMap. https://fleetwing.blogspot.com/p/gpx-routes_4.html

We go 100 miles every three days. Two days of 50 miles and one day off for bad weather, shopping, and sightseeing. If your cruising speed is six knots or less do 40 miles. This is supposed to be fun. Never travel after dark. If the wind is high or it's raining, take a day off and read a book.

Most marinas will have someone ready to take your lines as you come in. Until you get more experience, don't try to dock (or leave) without help. If there's a lot of current, wait for slack tide to go into your slip. At least in the beginning, when you call the marina for a reservation tell them you're new at this and ask if they have a spot that is easy-in. And don't hesitate to anchor out. There are some wonderful anchorages on the ICW. Find them with ActiveCaptain.

When a boat is passing you they will sometimes call and ask for a "slow pass" and say which side they plan to pass you. Tell them that's fine and move to the opposite side of the channel to give them room (without running aground yourself). When their bow is almost up to your stern, slow down to idle speed so they can slow down too and pass with little wake. Not all boats will show you this courtesy but many will. If you need to pass someone, do the same.

If someone calls you on the radio and asks for a "one toot" pass that means they plan to pass on your port side. "two toots" is starboard. Radio them back with a confirmation. Most boats don't bother with this.

If a tug and barge is approaching, slow down or stop and move as far out of the way as you can.

Check the bridge schedules with ActiveCaptain and go at a speed to get there about 5-10 minutes before opening. Always radio the bridge tender to "check in" when you arrive. Don't get so close to the bridge that the current may push you into it - but not so far that you hold up the car traffic unnecessarily when the bridge opens.

Good luck
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 09:34   #20

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’

I don’t when you plan to go, but it’s unlikely you will be able to find a marina that accepts transient boats. An entire county in NC that comprises most of the Outer Banks is closed to non residents. I can’t think of a worse time to do this in the part 75 years.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 11:23   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
I don’t when you plan to go, but it’s unlikely you will be able to find a marina that accepts transient boats. An entire county in NC that comprises most of the Outer Banks is closed to non residents. I can’t think of a worse time to do this in the part 75 years.
Yep, it's easy, even while self quarantined, to forget what's going on. For the first time in my life, I'm glad I'm at home instead of out cruising on our boat somewhere.
Old 20-03-2020, 11:56   #22

Boat: Tartan30

I STRONGLY DISAGREE with the poster who suggested going offshore with little experience and a "new to you" vessel.
That BAD ADVICE would involve going around The Outerbanks (Graveyard of the Atlantic) with little experience and an untested, unfamiliar boat. It could go well, and it could go really bad. DON'T do it.
You did not mention your vessel type, or schedule, and a few other pertinent details. All of these things would be relevant to giving you sound advice.
Certainly someone can do what you are proposing. Many have done it, and had good results with only minor stories to share at the Bar later on. Others have done it at great expense due to damage to the boat, overly long schedules, and when it comes to A SAILING COUPLE, sometimes stresses that forever affect the sailing together experience. So you may get the boat there in one piece, but if you get off the boat swearing to never sail together again.....what is the gain?
I have let my Captains License lapse so I cannot act as a paid Captain, but I can offer my services and experience as paid Crew.
I have coached other new and less than experienced Owners down The Ditch with good results. It might be needed for the whole trip, or for just part of the trip until you get a good feel for things. I live in NC so my travel expenses are not huge.
Please feel free to PM me about other details. Either way....enjoy the trip, be safe, don't rush it, and keep a good lookout.
scottydaum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 12:23   #23

You should be fine. Most of us start out by just "jumping in" even when sailing in open water.. For the ICW, important things are:
- knowing your propulsion system, fuel tank/filters/fuel usage.
-Have binoculars, working vhf and a good waterway guide.
-Pay attention to "drift" between markers, it can shallow fast.
-Have good towing insurance is a plus in shallow grounds and the "top of the line/platinum" they offer is usually the only one worth the money.
-Watch out for current getting strong as you go near bridges.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 12:29   #24
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

one thing you will see on the SE ICW are big tides and currents. this can affect your docking and anchoring. also with the temps may be bugs and no seeums. you will need a chart plotter and depth gauge
Old 20-03-2020, 12:30   #25

Boat: Nonsuch 354

Get the current edition of "ICW & Atlantic Coast Mile by Mile and Planning Guide". It is updated every year, but I don't know if the 2020 is out yet . It covers Norfolk to Key West--bridge heights opening hours, marinas, restaurants., you name it. Very complete. If it's not in there, you probably don't need it. About $25 at Amazon.
Old 20-03-2020, 13:00   #26

Boat: Dufour 29

Every time I have bought a boat (used of course) and delivered it to myself I have had surprises. Things that worked when I looked at the boat but then didn't work after I started sailing. The key to boating safety is redundancy -- always having a workaround. If the sails get messed up, the engine is there. If you are motoring, you still have sails if the engine dies. The trip you propose is a pretty easy one, but it would be a good idea to get in one or two days of serious experience on the boat in controlled circumstances (either big open areas or with another crew member aboard) before setting out on your own. Even if you motor, it would be good to get the sails up and down a bit, just in case. That said, there is no better way to learn than by doing, and a pleasant trip such as you propose sounds like the perfect thing.
Brioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 13:13   #27

The ICW is a very pleasant journey. We’ve done NJ to South Florida a number of times. Lots of good advice already offered. The only thing I’d like to add is study your charts and understand the ICW amber triangles and squares that are on the markers. While it is red on the right when Southbound, you’ll end up (at times) on a channel or river heading out to sea and your Starboard green will have an amber triangle saying it’s an ICW Red. Anchor up at night and enjoy the journey
vanderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 13:46   #28

Boat: Catalina 36 MKII

Get a copy of Kettlewell's Intercoastal Waterway Chartbook - It is essentially a long strip chart of the ICW from Norfolk to Miami. You just flip page to page as you tick off the miles. WItht he chart nearby, and as an earlier post suggested Aquamaps on an iphone or iPad your trip will be much less stressful.
There is a lot of information in the Waterway Guide but I found the layout confusing; it seemed to skip back and forward within sections and it is a guidebook, not a chartbook like Kettlewells.
Aquamaps has Army Corp of Engineers depth surveys on many sections and you can download Waterway Guide and Active Captain data when you put the charts into it. CHarts are $29 or so for all of the US, but download anything you might want on the ipad while you have a good big speed connection.
Nice to have anchorage reviews available at the end of a day when you are looking for a good spot.

BUT, as another earlier post mentioned, now is probably not the best time to go - too much uncertainty on what may or may not be available/open. Some areas get pretty remote and diesel, gas, food or water you are counting on may not be there.
brazenarticle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 14:30   #29

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

I do deliveries,,,,,,and love to slowly cruise the ICW while observing our nations most beautiful waterways,,,,loaded with flora and fauna that makes this a true bucket list experience. I have been offshore, and in a rush,,,,,,nothing to see but sky and waves - BORING! For the first time boater it can be easy. Just read your charts, watch the tides, wind and current. Plus always check your smartphone on google earth aerial view to check for sand bars. Take your time and smell the roses.
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2020, 15:20   #30

Hi everybody!!! Thank you for all your wonderful advice. We have a 28 foot sailboat with a 4 foot draft. We have navionics, a chart plotter, and are going to download aquamaps per many recommendations. I really appreciate everyone's insights! Super helpful!
Curtinjulianna is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc, icw, motor