Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-11-2014, 03:30   #61

Boat: Comet 41s
Re: Multihull Size in a Mono Hull Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by barnakiel View Post
If you are into that ARC thing, look up Winwin (by Baltic). She will be sailed this year. Leopard is here too. I think you might like both, much as Winwin is definitely the easier, cruising optimised one. Prettier too!
Cheers,
b.
ARC is a good place to extract some information about cruising boat performance since it is pretty much an amateur race for most and for even more a cruising transat with loaded boats. As there are lots of boats, if we do not consider the fastest and the slower ones, the average can be meaningful.

Regarding Leopard, you are talking about this charter boat?:
Leopard 3 - Ultimate corporate, private and racing charter yacht

I don't find any winwin but I suppose you are talking about this one?
33m Baltic superyacht WinWin — Luxury Yacht Charter & Superyacht News

In what regards racing it is not a favorite race, being the true race boats there very few and the crews are just average. I am interested more on the performance of fast much smaller performance cruisers like a Sly 47 a Gieffe 51 and other smaller boats like some Dufour, First, Azuree and grand Soleil.

But I am more interested in the performance of some fast cruisers on the cruiser class. Those are not racing and the spirit is different. I am interested on the comparative performance of two Cigale (a favorite sailboat and probably the one I would chose to cross Oceans), two Outremer, some other fast cats and monos. Also interested in see how the many cats perform regarding monohulls and on the performance of cheap mass production cruisers versus "true" bluewater boats, or at least boats considered as that.

Unfortunately for me, as you know there are very few old boats there because I am also interested in seeing how old boats perform regarding new models, particularly mass production boats.
Polux is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2014, 06:38   #62

Boat: a sailing boat
Re: Multihull Size in a Mono Hull Package

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polux View Post

(...)

Unfortunately for me, as you know there are very few old boats there because I am also interested in seeing how old boats perform regarding new models, particularly mass production boats.
Wait. This year you do have a Cigale or two, some Outremers and some old wooden and steel clunkers to compare. You have an online tracker there that is a fine view once they set off (23 Nov this year I think).

As we watched and followed previous editions we found e.g. that:

- old clunkers underperform (unless they are of racing pedigree and driven by racing crews, like e.g. the Rothmans, the Steinlager, etc. ;-))
- modern and potentially faster common brands (say Cigales, Firsts etc) underperform,
- modern plastics fantastics (Bene style) sail about on par with older plastics fantastics (Contest style), with huge variations within the same style and even make.

When drawing any conclusions we must at all times consider this is just a one-way off the wind rally. Says nothing about how same designs perform on their way back home to Bermuda, Azores and N Europe.

I will ask around why Winwin is not on the ARC, she does occupy vast amount of ARC docks space this year (meanwhile all smaller transcients were asked to beep off (sic!))

I have run pretty extensive speed analysis of the ARC and TransPac once, but not concentrating on what boat types. I was looking for what speed instead.

Cheers,
b.
Las Palmas
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hull, multihull, size