Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-08-2021, 12:53   #181

Re: Musk says Starlink will work on boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post

I'm told that the laser birds won't stack as well, & SpaceX won't be able to launch 60 of them at a whack on a Falcon9. Anyone know how many will fit now? Guess we'll find out in a few weeks.
Take this with a grain or two of salt, but off the top of my head, I think the Falcon9 can "only" launch 50 of the "laser" satellites at a time.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2021, 14:37   #182
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36

I gather Spacex has paused launches to actually fit more lasers to the satellites
Old 29-08-2021, 14:15   #183

Quote:
Originally Posted by goboatingnow View Post
I gather Spacex has paused launches to actually fit more lasers to the satellites
only a matter of time before the inevitable....

Hydro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 00:46   #184

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

SpaceX Preps 'Ruggedized' Starlink Dish for Cars, Boats, and Planes

This PC Magazine article is about 6 weeks old now, but it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Excerpt:
Quote:
SpaceX is working on a “ruggedized” version of its Starlink dish designed to work outside cars, boats, and planes and in harsh climates.

SpaceX filed an application with the FCC on Tuesday to operate the so-called “high-performance” Starlink dish. The hardware still relies on a phased array antenna to receive the high-speed internet from SpaceX satellites in orbit.

“But these high-performance models will operate with higher gain and lower transmit power (thus maintaining a consistent EIRP compared to other SpaceX Services user terminals), a higher scan angle, and features that ruggedize the unit for use in harsh environments,” the company wrote in the application.
Lower power would be good for us, as the current user terminals draw about 100W, which is a bit much for most boats to leave on for very long. The tricky part will be getting the narrower beam to stay on the bird while the boat is doing the watoosie underneath it. Hopefully the gyro & compass sensors, as well as the SW, will be up to that task.

Also, per the previous conversation, we now know that SpaceX can put 51 of their laser-equipped birds into the nose of a Falcon9 rocket. Apparently, the recent delay in launches is because SpaceX wants all the rest of the birds to be laser equipped. As I understand it, most launches in the near future will be from CA, to put them into polar orbits.
Old 28-09-2021, 01:39   #185
Nearly an old salt

Musk says Starlink will work on boats

I’m not sure any of these LEO solutions will deliver , I’m never sure where the intended market is. Iridium is a case in point , the spread of GSM even in poorer areas totally undermined iridiums base.

Simply building all this to service sea based transport isn’t going to fly

Where is the economies of scale going to come from.

For example in Ireland , one of the least densely populated areas in Europe , the government is funding fibre broadband installation ( budget about 7 billion euros) Once that initial infrastructure is in , the “ on” costs are very low as a result I can get 1Gb/s ( claimed ) service for about €30 a month and even cheaper for fractional rates.

This is well below starlinks intended price points. ( there is a starlink trial in Ireland at present )

In the meantime poorer countries or those with significant topology issues , are investing in 4G and 5G solutions this will deliver high speed broadband to dispersed communities

Also don’t forget the country by country regulatory hurdles starlink faces. France for example once banned iridium. countries like to control their telecommunications
Old 28-09-2021, 05:18   #186

Boat: Boatless for now, looking!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
SpaceX Preps 'Ruggedized' Starlink Dish for Cars, Boats, and Planes

This PC Magazine article is about 6 weeks old now, but it sounds like a step in the right direction.

Excerpt:

Lower power would be good for us, as the current user terminals draw about 100W, which is a bit much for most boats to leave on for very long. The tricky part will be getting the narrower beam to stay on the bird while the boat is doing the watoosie underneath it. Hopefully the gyro & compass sensors, as well as the SW, will be up to that task.

Also, per the previous conversation, we now know that SpaceX can put 51 of their laser-equipped birds into the nose of a Falcon9 rocket. Apparently, the recent delay in launches is because SpaceX wants all the rest of the birds to be laser equipped. As I understand it, most launches in the near future will be from CA, to put them into polar orbits.

John, electronically steered like the radar on an Aegis class navy ship.
The only thing the servos are for, is to get the dish to the approximate elevation angle, for the latitude.
Old 28-09-2021, 05:23   #187

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

Quote:
In the meantime poorer countries or those with significant topology issues , are investing in 4G and 5G solutions this will deliver high speed broadband to dispersed communities
I think your skepticism about finding a market niche for StarLink is well founded. I hope we're wrong and it is successful enough that us relatively few cruisers can take advantage of it at reasonable rates.

But I also question the value of 5G. Apparently the range is incredibly short. Like, antennae on every street corner short. I'm no expert, but again it seems like rural areas are being ignored. Justifiably so, since again the market just doesn't support that technology anywhere but in urban areas.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 05:28   #188

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptTom View Post
But I also question the value of 5G. Apparently the range is incredibly short. Like, antennae on every street corner short. I'm no expert, but again it seems like rural areas are being ignored. Justifiably so, since again the market just doesn't support that technology anywhere but in urban areas.

It depends on what frequency band it's deployed in. Higher frequency 5G is very fast, but very short range. Somewhat lower frequencies are still fast, but with significantly longer range. And then some carriers are deploying lower frequency 5G that's got pretty long range, but is only slightly faster than 4G.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 05:39   #189
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
It depends on what frequency band it's deployed in. Higher frequency 5G is very fast, but very short range. Somewhat lower frequencies are still fast, but with significantly longer range. And then some carriers are deploying lower frequency 5G that's got pretty long range, but is only slightly faster than 4G.

Good low latency 4G actually delivers a good internet experience.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:23   #190

Boat: O'Day 40

What's the range of 4G?
There are vast areas of the world with significant populations. Much of North America isn't served by Fibre optic cable and many are paying too much for crappy intermittent service.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:29   #191
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
What's the range of 4G?
There are vast areas of the world with significant populations. Much of North America isn't served by Fibre optic cable and many are paying too much for crappy intermittent service.

This what iridium thought ( for voice) It didn’t work out well for them .

Vast areas of the world don’t have significant populations and often many have no financial means to purchase expensive sat links.

Where there are remaining significant populations governments are racing to extend wired or wireless terrestrial systems.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:35   #192

Quote:
I’m not sure any of these LEO solutions will deliver , I’m never sure where the intended market is. Iridium is a case in point , the spread of GSM even in poorer areas totally undermined iridiums base.

Simply building all this to service sea based transport isn’t going to fly

Where is the economies of scale going to come from.

For example in Ireland , one of the least densely populated areas in Europe , the government is funding fibre broadband installation ( budget about 7 billion euros) Once that initial infrastructure is in , the “ on” costs are very low as a result I can get 1Gb/s ( claimed ) service for about €30 a month and even cheaper for fractional rates.

This is well below starlinks intended price points. ( there is a starlink trial in Ireland at present )

Also don’t forget the country by country regulatory hurdles starlink faces. France for example once banned iridium. countries like to control their telecommunications
It's not just for sea based transport - target market would be anything that moves - trucks, trains, planes, RV'ers, boats, ships, megayachts, military. This broadens the market considerably. You cited a rural area in Ireland, but there are lots of hard to reach places that will never get funding for high speed internet - especially once the Starlink constellation is complete I guarantee governments won't see the value in spending millions or billions of dollars to develop fiber infrastructure to areas that can get reliable and fast satellite internet.
sailingunity is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2021, 07:41   #193

Boat: O'Day 40

Starlink doesn't require very expensive hardware. The dish is pretty affordable for what it does and there are a lot of people in rural areas waiting for them.
Small remote communities can pool to share a dish.
I wouldn't bet against Musk on this venture.
Old 28-09-2021, 07:42   #194
Nearly an old salt

Quote:
Starlink doesn't require very expensive hardware. The dish is pretty affordable for what it does and there are a lot of people in rural areas waiting for them.

We shall see
Old 28-09-2021, 08:18   #195

Quote:
MOST of the people in rural areas in the US have very poor internet speeds. We have 1.5 mbps service. Yes, you read that right. Reliability is awful. The service provider had taken millions of tax dollars to improve the network but the rural areas, for which the tax money is supposed to serve, are still shafted. This is a nationwide company.

We also pay for a 4G based connection and it works but it is expensive and connection speed depends on how many people are connected. It is not a great solution.

We are lucky in that we have service at all. Many places cannot get cell service or landline DSL so they are stuck with the the geosynchronous orbit satellite services which have severe data limits and problems with VPNs.

Starlink is not for people in urban areas. It s for areas of the WORLD with limited, poor, nor no Internet access.

5G is going to be problematic in non urban areas because the range is so limited, as in 1,000-1,500 feet. Antennae will have to be on power poles all over the place AND some areas do not have power poles. I think cell providers are going to have to get access to the power poles which will be interesting from a legal and cost perspective.

Later,
Dan
dannc is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, work