Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-04-2021, 09:32   #106

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD
Re: Musk says Starlink will work on boats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
Scorpius, before jumping in, don't you think it would be a good idea to read previous posts?

The Starlink User Terminal antenna looks vaguely like a dish, but in fact it's a phased array antenna that is steered electronically, in milliseconds, without needing to move physically. SpaceX has been using them on their drone recovery ships off the coast of Florida, so it works for some mobile units. It already has sensors to compensate for the motion of the vehicle it's mounted on, but it's unclear if the sensor system is fast enough to compensate for a small boat tossing in a seaway (although it seems to be fast enough for an RV driving). But the beam steering electronics are certainly fast enough.
Sorry about that. I know there was discussion earlier about phased array antennae but I didn't realize it was confirmed that that's what they were - and it sure looked like a dish to me.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:03   #107

Boat: Catalina 470

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon Hacking View Post
The Starlink User Terminal antenna looks vaguely like a dish, but in fact it's a phased array antenna that is steered electronically, in milliseconds, without needing to move physically. SpaceX has been using them on their drone recovery ships off the coast of Florida, so it works for some mobile units. It already has sensors to compensate for the motion of the vehicle it's mounted on, but it's unclear if the sensor system is fast enough to compensate for a small boat tossing in a seaway (although it seems to be fast enough for an RV driving). But the beam steering electronics are certainly fast enough.
I had a unique opportunity to talk with a Starlink engineer not long ago. He could not give me details, but could answer basic yes/no questions. I posed some specific questions regarding the format of the marine/mobile version of the user terminal, and gleaning what I could I came up with the following. The antenna itself will be the essentially the same as the existing design, electrically at least. The base, motorized pointing mechanism, and mounting hardware will be beefed up and ruggedized. Not sure if the antenna will be in a dome or not - I should have asked, but somehow missed the chance. I also do not know if they are going to do anything about power consumption, though I sure hope so. At least, where most cruisers travel, melting snow off the antenna will no be a big need.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Davidhoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:07   #108

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoner View Post
I have signed up for the beta. I am currently in Florida. From my understanding per the sign up is this is not mobile yet. You are limited to the location you signed up for. I figured I will in one place for the hurricane season and am hoping they open up this restriction post the beta rollout.
StarLink said the location limitation is temporary. I think they said after the Beta ends the limitation will be removed. They will not have tiered service either. They only need six more launches to get the coverage needed, and given how many rockets are launched each month, it should not take long for the constellation to be at the point that beta program ends.

Later,
Dan
dannc is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:10   #109

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post
StarLink said the location limitation is temporary. I think they said after the Beta ends the limitation will be removed. They will not have tiered service either. They only need six more launches to get the coverage needed, and given how many rockets are launched each month, it should not take long for the constellation to be at the point that beta program ends.
SpaceX are already loosening the location limitations, and beta testers are reporting that they can move much further from their service address and still have connectivity. Musk recently tweeted in support of this, and said that full mobility will be available by the end of 2021.
Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.” – Mark Twain
Old 21-04-2021, 10:39   #110

Davidhoy There are no dedicated heaters in the modem. The electrical energy used to run all the RF chips puts out enough heat to melt snow. ~120W is just the normal use of the device. I believe they can also bump up the heat probably by increasing VCC supply voltage to the chips.

(There are over 800 little RF modulators! Here is a teardown)
jack4566 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 10:53   #111

Quote:
Originally Posted by jack4566 View Post
Davidhoy There are no dedicated heaters in the modem. The electrical energy used to run all the RF chips puts out enough heat to melt snow. ~120W is just the normal use of the device. I believe they can also bump up the heat probably by increasing VCC supply voltage to the chips.

(There are over 800 little RF modulators! Here is a teardown)
Yeah, I know they don't actually have heaters, but (as you suggest) they can control the heat generated by the circuitry to effectively do the same thing - there are a lot of ICs inside that antenna! Suffice it to say that the power control needed to melt snow, which is an actual feature of the device, will not be needed in warmer climates. I have zero interest in sailing somewhere that melting snow is necessary ;-)
Old 21-04-2021, 12:11   #112

Quote:
Originally Posted by dannc View Post

Later,
Dan

Nice to hear I am anxiously waiting to be fully mobile.
rtoner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-04-2021, 20:00   #113

Location: Currently cruising the Philippines, just got back from PNG & Solomons
Boat: Wauquiez 45' (now 48') catamaran
Send a message via Skype™ to Jon Hacking

Quote:
Originally Posted by rtoner View Post
Nice to hear. I am anxiously waiting to be fully mobile.
I think many of us are.

I think the main issue for current mobility is that the initial rollout worked much like GlobalStar, where the satellite you're talking to has to be able to see (talk to) a ground station, & there aren't that many ground stations. Moving around within your "cell" (about 40 miles across?) would work fine. But if you moved from an area serviced by one ground station to an area serviced by a different ground station, the system should continue to work, although StarLink couldn't guarantee this, so they didn't say anything.

The initial birds didn't have the lasers necessary for sat-to-sat communications, so your signal couldn't hop from bird to bird before coming back down to a ground station, the way Iridium works. Iridium doesn't use lasers, but they have a full worldwide mesh with only 66 satellites & very few ground stations, because the signal can bounce between satellites, & the initial Starlink birds didn't have this capability, which is obviously necessary for the system to work mid-ocean.

I initially thought that only the first 700-ish birds didn't have the lasers, but now I think that number is higher, that they put up a few birds with laser capability after 700 so they could test them, but didn't start launching all-laser equipped birds until about 1100 (does anyone have better info here?) And the laser equipped birds are bigger & don't stack as well, so they can't get 60 of them in the nose of a Falcon9 the way they could with the originals.

They now have 1300-ish birds up, so 200-ish with laser capability. Iridium achieves a full mesh with a lot less, but I don't know the range of the lasers, & the laser equipped birds need to be spread throughout the constellation. Most launches put all of those birds into the same orbit, which saturates that orbit with laser equipped birds, but leaves other orbits without.

The birds can move to other orbits, but their engines are very weak. They're known internally as "mouse fart" engines, as that's about the amount of thrust those ion engines produce. Using the engine uses up a lot of the energy budget for the bird, so it takes a long time to reposition.
Old 15-05-2021, 06:16   #114

Boat: 50ft Custom Fast Catamaran

Real life experience with Starlink:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-spacex-review
Chotu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 10:04   #115

Boat: O'Day 40

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chotu View Post
Real life experience with Starlink:

https://www.theverge.com/platform/am...-spacex-review
He set it on the ground with his house and trees in the way and then whined about it not matching the performance of fibre optic cable.
Old 15-05-2021, 10:31   #116

Location: On Vessel WINGS, wherever there's an ocean, currently in Mexico
Boat: Serendipity 43
Send a message via AIM to wingssail Send a message via Skype™ to wingssail

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcboomer View Post
He set it on the ground with his house and trees in the way and then whined about it not matching the performance of fibre optic cable.
I'm not sure where you think he should have put it? His trees and house are reality and that reality limits the usefulness of starlink for him.

What occurs to me about use on a boat are:
  • At some point spars and rigging will be in the way of line of sight
  • Apparently there are motors constantly aligning the dish to the satellite, meaning electricity usage and potential for wear.
  • Number of "slots" available for ocean areas away from North America
  • Ongoing cost

Not something I'll jump for in the near future.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:11   #117

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post
I'm not sure where you think he should have put it? His trees and house are reality and that reality limits the usefulness of starlink for him.

• Apparently there are motors constantly aligning the dish to the satellite, meaning electricity usage and potential for wear.
  • Ongoing cost

Well to start with they recommend the roof.

My Starlink dish is surrounded by masts and in the past 24 hours has been obstructed for 13 seconds.

No the motor only engages during the initial setup, then it focuses electronically.

Availability will improve.
Old 15-05-2021, 11:46   #118

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by wingssail View Post

• Ongoing cost

I expect it will get much, much better as there are more and more satellites put into the constellation so that there is a much, much better chance there will be a satellite nearly directly overhead and the system will not need to search for satellites closer to the horizon which may be obstructed.

I think a lot of the current geo restrictions are due to a lack of ground stations.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 16:42   #119

Location: Eastern Caribbean for the 2020 season then east coast or Panama
Boat: Lagoon 470 cat

Fred, when I can get one for the boat it will not be permanently installed so rigging will not be an issue (except when the boat swings) and then I will just move it over a few feet.

All the Youtube I've seen makes it look like the motors really on have to move when it is initially set up. The phased array antenna eliminates the need for constant movement as with current satellite systems.

The slot issue is only due to the limited number of satellites and being a beta system. In the future the capacity will be a non-issue, except maybe for people who "abuse" the system usage.

I can tell you that I can't wait. Bought a BTC sim card here in the Bahamas and out of the last 3 weeks the system was down in at least most of the Exumas and Raggeds. I will gladly live with a few interruptions during the day. Much better than a 2 week interperuption. Of course the Alive cell system didn't have that issue so I just happened to choose the wrong cell provider.

Love the 43's from Dreyfus/NOM
Moontide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2021, 17:14   #120

Mine has 3 masts of adjacent boats in the way and it was only down for 13 seconds in the last 24 hours.
When on the hook I would only expect to use it a couple of times a day for emails etc. The power draw is about 72 watts.

Tags
boat, work