Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-05-2013, 23:21   #16

Re: My depth sounder LIES!

do you think it may be the peculiar location of the transducer?
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-05-2013, 23:48   #17

Boat: Pearson Ariel 26' (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJohn View Post
do you think it may be the peculiar location of the transducer?
The transducer is located about 1' before the keel, and at the lowest part of the hull.
Old 17-05-2013, 01:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by trooper dan View Post
The transducer is located about 1' before the keel, and at the lowest part of the hull.
then perhaps you need to contact the manufacturer as suggested by others here ... an error of over 6' is downright dangerous ...
BigJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:17   #19
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
So I have a uniden depth sounder that is relatively new but purchased with the boat. I have run aground three times already and every single time the depth sounder lies about how much water I have under me. Today I ran aground and while I was stuck the sounder read 6'2" and my boat draws 3'8" so I should be ok right? Each time some kind power boaters towed me off. I am here on the Magothy river Chesapeake and on the northern end. There are very shallow water in the creeks and rivers here.

I have new charts and gps, and follow them closely. So anyways I used a lead line a little bit ago here at my slip and supposedly my boat is in 5'1" of water and clearly not aground. Indeed the lead line indicated 5' of water, So why would my sounder read 6'2" when firmly aground? It stayed at 6'2" the entire time i was aground until I got towed off. I cannot adjust this model of sounder to account for say "0" to be the bottom of my keel or I would. So even in these skinny waters here, what can I do?

I fell really silly getting grounded all of the time, what gives?

TD

Check the transducer compartment to make sure the fluid it's supposed to float in is still there.

If that isn't the problem, check the website for the manufacturer. You might need a software update. Easy to do, unless you have a Macintosh, in which case you may need a friend with a PC to download the software update to a thumb drive.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 01:18   #20
cruiser

Quote:
Oh yeah the thing is I never ask for help. I would be just as comfortable waiting for the tide to come back in. People are really nice and helpful around here! People just motor over and ask how I am doing... A catamaran looks really sweet right now! What surprised me the most was how firmly I was aground at such a slow speed. This guy today with a 125 HP outboard had a difficult time getting me un-stuck. Thanks goodness for the kindness of others.

I call some of the bottom here, a black muck, "God's superglue!"
Old 17-05-2013, 01:21   #21
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul Elliott View Post
How do you do that, given the huge difference in sound propagation speed of air vs water? Is there some technique? I suppose you could calibrate using a 0.231 scale factor...

Make a depth line. I weighted mine down with a round zinc.

I used 1/4" line and put one knot in it for every foot, with two knots every 3 feet. Then you hang it over the said where your transducer is, and compare the reading on the depth sounder to what the line says.
Old 17-05-2013, 01:43   #22

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Two things which come to mind is 1) If the bottom is silty muck it may not give a proper bounce. Also, 2) there is a keel offset that you may not have set right.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:22   #23

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
I was not under sail at the time, nor under heel. My depth sounder is malfunctioning, I think.
Under power in shallow water with a soft bottom this is a normal behavior for low powered sounders. The transducer is not powerful enough nor sensitive enough to combat all of the noise (engine, etc) and diminished return from a soft bottom.
Unfortunately if you want an accurate depth in these conditions you'll need something other than the inexpensive uniden depth gauge
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 05:50   #24
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

i use 2 sounders--one forward, set inside boat, is a grmin, with a liquid so it can read thru the hull. is correct.
i also have an apelco which has begun to malfunction-- i will be replacing both as soon as i can find a garmin with a good lens--mine went black. functioning well, screen blac, so i am getting a replacement
my apelco has begun to misread--when garmin says 9 ft, the apelco says 69 ft...lol...i will be replacing my apelco with, i hope, a comp[atible apelco that actually works. is good to have spares. i dont have em yet, but they are necessary. stuff happens.

also, make sure depth is under keel not water line, and not from transducer to bottom.. makes a difference.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-05-2013, 06:04   #25

Boat: Finnsailer 38

Get a small fishfinder--I have found them to be much more accurate and powerful than sailboat depth sounders, and they are cheaper. The bottom contour image is very useful too.

Tags
depth