Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-02-2021, 10:37   #1

Boat: Leopard 38
My desaster experience in 2020/2021 with Solé Diesel ...

Solé ...a family oriented business for over a hundred years. That's their slogan. I would say "a family oriented business, too old to satisfy modern customers".

I can only tell you one thing ... run away, dont try to buy solé, if there 's no dealer around. And if there is, make sure he is trustworthy.

In my case I could have lost thousands. I was lucky. I did not.

But, my attempt to get a simple quotation for 2 diesel engines was a 4 months ordeal. Yes, after 4 months I got a first estimate.* Incomplete and weong, and late, as usual. But please read.

To say some good words first: solé has great engines, but the truth in general is... their service sucks. Specially the sales department. It is* always late, never exact, and talking about solés "worldwide" distributorship ...its a lie. What "worldwide"* distributorship? Doesnt exist !! And quit frankly .. No Dealer...No Service, no purchase, period. That is their rule and strategy. Absolutely outdated for the 21 century.

Visite their website, FAQs* " Can I buy Solé Diesel products if there is no distributor in my country?"* Answer "if we do not have any distributor in your country, you can email us at blablabla@solediesel.com and we will provide an alternative".
Thats bs. What they do is contacting a yanmar dealer nearby, asking for help, if they are interested to sell and install.* Most likely a (yanmar) dealer (or anybody else), who is already trying to sell you (me) something, wouldnt be interested or as in my case, the same yanmar dealer gave me his quotation for yanmar products 4 days prior. An obsolere interference in purchasing. Of course yanmar denied help.

Then the salesrep of Solé said "cant sell to a private individual" (like me), so I suggested "let me find a mechanic myself" Response was "ok, but your order can only be processed in his name" !!!!!!* Häh? Excuse me? I invest my time to find a mechanic, invest thousands in those 2 diesels in his name and then he disappears with them (what actually happened).

Thats insane. And by the way, still didnt get a quotation, only a price (which he was not allowed to tell me , €5,200 for one diesel). Nothing else. Guys, we are talking 3 months talking back and forth.

*Then late januar after 3,5 months the "invoice" came by mail ... the* mechanic, the pro, sent it. Not solé.

The invoice almost let me throw up... completely incorrect and incomplete. Can you believe that?
BETA, yanmar and vetus estimates for those 2 fricking diesels were already lying on my table for months, came in in less than a week, and I was still fooled around by solé. Meanwhile another dealer of solé already gave me his prices,* but wasnt allowed to export. By surprise solé prices were even higher tyan his prices, although I was promised "to get a better price (than €5,2000). But anyway.

Let me tell you about the invoice.
Solé included 2 props (which I never ordered), one left-hand, one right-hand. For a catamaran. And for 2 counterclockwise turning Solé Mini-33 diesels. Meaning ... one engine pushes me forward, one backwards ... in forward gear?

Second harness I ordered, well, wrong, the mechanic ordered in my name .... not mentioned.
Optional price for bigger control panels ... not mentioned.
No dealers price.
No word on availabilty as requested.
No word about freight time.

Solé .... kiss it ! Worthless company.

To make a long and disappointing story short. We bought BETA engines IN ONE WEEK !! Deal was processed in 1 week !,,* Price, details, a correct invoice was discussed in record time. Super service. In time, advice correct and liable. I feel to be in good hands. Deposit was made after 5 days. They give a ****, who installs engines. They just sell good engines and the salespersons are reliable, highly experienced.

And BETA is honest. Their freight rate for 2 engines was $550,00. Solés price was $790,00 ... for each engine.

BETA engines are a bit more expensive, but it was a comfortable purchase.
And I think BETA engines are better, too. In the end a much wiser decision, because ....

I NEVER HEARD FROM THE MECHANIC AGAIN.
ak5609 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2021, 22:49   #2

Boat: Jeanneau 41 DS
Re: My desaster experience in 2020/2021 with Solé Diesel ...

Does not sound like a good experience. Excuse my ignorance...why wait so many months dealing with these people? I would have been finished with them much sooner.
Glad things worked out in the end.
Abe
sailingabe41ds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 03:35   #3

Yes, I waited too long, but I was pretty focused on these Solé engines as I planned to check into a distributorship myself here on this island, but was 3 days away by boat.
And time flies.

After considerations back and forth, the final quote and treatment of service it was clear, that a cooperation obviously is not wished.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:12   #4

Betas are fantastic engines - AND their parts are still reasonable!

Good choice and fair winds!
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:22   #5

My Solé motor is great, couldn't be happier!

But good thing there [edit] was choice for you ak5609, and you could buy something else...
250224 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2021, 04:27   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

Were Sole engines original on your boat? Not for a moment suggesting you continue contact with them - congratulations on the new Betas - but are you running into difficulties with adapting a different engine to your mounts, compartments, cables, hoses, and electrical system?
Old 02-03-2021, 04:31   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleWing77 View Post
Betas are fantastic engines - AND their parts are still reasonable!

Good choice and fair winds!
LittleWing77

Thanks.
Old 02-03-2021, 04:37   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by tkeithlu View Post
Were Sole engines original on your boat? Not for a moment suggesting you continue contact with them - congratulations on the new Betas - but are you running into difficulties with adapting a different engine to your mounts, compartments, cables, hoses, and electrical system?
No, onboard were Westerbekes. They also have a mitsubishi block like Solé. Therefore and pricewise they were my first choice.

I really think, they are also good engines, but ... I had to give up on them.
Now expecting BETAs. Regarding proper and easy installation I had to gamble. Like with the Solés.

If Westerbeke 42B would have been available, I would have choosen them. 20 years, 8 as a charter boat isnt that bad.
Old 07-05-2022, 06:32   #9

Old mounts could not be used. New BETA mounts were toys and the alignment not possible. So best decision was 8 new mounts from VETUS. BETA support is stucked after purchase. They concentrate on sales rather than support, mainly because of success.
If I had to decide again I would buy the 4 cylinder BETA38 instead of the 3 cylinder.
Old 07-05-2022, 11:38   #10

Boat: Nordic 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ak5609 View Post
Old mounts could not be used. New BETA mounts were toys and the alignment not possible. So best decision was 8 new mounts from VETUS. BETA support is stucked after purchase. They concentrate on sales rather than support, mainly because of success.
If I had to decide again I would buy the 4 cylinder BETA38 instead of the 3 cylinder.
Beta will make custom brackets to fit your boat. Surprised by this post. My install went very smooth with custom brackets. Did everything myself except for the crane to lift out the old 4.108 and lift in the Beta 50.

Which Beta office were you working with? I was in England when I got my engine and was very pleased with the support I got. Granted that was in 2003 and things change.
stormalong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:03   #11

Solé Diesel charged me 1,000 dollars for a waterpump for my sm 110 engine, I needed it badly, as I run a diving center. The pump actually costs 45 dollars from Aliexspress, including shipping. The pump is for an Hitache excavator. When I questioned this ridiculous price, the response was, if you don't want, fine.They knew very well I have a dive center and had no choice. I since have bought two more, just in case, total cost, 90 dollars. Happy sailing folks.
petethediver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2024, 01:32   #12
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Elan 45 impression

I Can go buy milk and water and take 10 sole diesel engine all size immediately.
more is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, enc, Repowering, Solé