Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 20-08-2012, 18:14   #31
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle
Re: My Latest Misadventures

Quote:
Originally Posted by minaret View Post
Have you tried del Maguey? Small batches only from small villages at different altitudes, it is true Mescal made in the worlds oldest still. The Spaniards brought it over from China in the 17th century, and it was ancient then. Tony Bourdain had it in one of his episodes. It's like no other liquor I the world. You can order a bottle online, but it ain't cheap. If you develop a taste for it you are screwed, as there are a number of varietals all made in the same still.
I can't say I have but it sounds great. In Mexico I was amazed at some of the tequila coming out of the hills, pretty much on the back of a burro, really high quality home brew!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 18:36   #32

Bob, It is hard to hear a sound more beautiful than a 6 cylinded ATLAS. Was it air reverse? love them.____Grant.
gjordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 21:17   #33

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hummingway View Post
Yes, that's why I had the pillow! They've the body of a Dachshund but they think they're Rottweiler's!
So exactly were was the pillow placed?...
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 21:22   #34
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cooper 416 Honeysuckle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
So exactly were was the pillow placed?...
I was waving it every which way in a best attempt to cover everything!

hummingway is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-08-2012, 21:36   #35

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

Nope it was an Engineer shift !!LOL
Old 03-10-2012, 23:35   #36

Quote:
Hilarious! Not sure I'd be comfortable with just a pillow.
I keep my paintball gun on board, with two sets of ammo - hard riot control rounds, and regular paintballs used on people at fields

Never have had to use it, but it's nice if it's there. The RC rounds are sufficient to deter a black bear. I'd never try it on a grizzly or anything, but a black bear or a night pirate at anchor - 30 rounds a second would be pretty terrifying on the receiving end at boat range. I've taken paintballs at that rate and it's absolutely disabling.

For the otters - I'd use the sport grade paintballs
mr-canada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2012, 19:50   #37
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr-canada View Post
I keep my paintball gun on board, with two sets of ammo - hard riot control rounds, and regular paintballs used on people at fields

Never have had to use it, but it's nice if it's there. The RC rounds are sufficient to deter a black bear. I'd never try it on a grizzly or anything, but a black bear or a night pirate at anchor - 30 rounds a second would be pretty terrifying on the receiving end at boat range. I've taken paintballs at that rate and it's absolutely disabling.

For the otters - I'd use the sport grade paintballs

Lol! Nice, I'm super in to woods ball and haven't met many other sailors who also paintball. PM me if you're ever in the Seattle area and want to go, we have a great group of guys in their 30s and 40s who have been doing it forever, lots of awesome sites too. We do woods ball only, no fields, average 15-20 players about monthly. We get all silly with ghillie suits, radios, smoke, the whole bit. Except tanks, only the local scenario guys get into tanks and rocket launchers. It's fun! Where do you get RC ammo? I've seen people shoot frozen balls, but never RC...

Sorry for the thread drift Hummingway...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2012, 10:04   #38

Quote:
Lol! Nice, I'm super in to woods ball and haven't met many other sailors who also paintball. PM me if you're ever in the Seattle area and want to go, we have a great group of guys in their 30s and 40s who have been doing it forever, lots of awesome sites too. We do woods ball only, no fields, average 15-20 players about monthly. We get all silly with ghillie suits, radios, smoke, the whole bit. Except tanks, only the local scenario guys get into tanks and rocket launchers. It's fun! Where do you get RC ammo? I've seen people shoot frozen balls, but never RC...
I founded the Canadian national scenario paintball organization CSPO (google it). Sailing is my new hobby it takes away from my paintball time a lot I havent been out in a long time.

The riot control rounds are hard solid plastic. They arent cheap, about $25 per 100. Paintballgear.ca sells them, I think there are some restrictions on purchase. I managed to get some as a gift, in CSPO's heyday I would get gifts like that from people all the time, samples, etc.

Frozen paintballs are kind of an old wives tale. If you freeze a paintball, the shell becomes ultra brittle, and it will crack and explode before it leaves the barrel. That's why there are winter paintballs (frostbite) and powderballs (a paintball with a powdery chalk inside with a wax shell, designed by a Canadian in northern Ontario who was sick of poorly performing rounds in the freezing cold, they can be frozen in water, thawed out and dried off and shoot just fine).
Old 05-10-2012, 10:32   #39
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I founded the Canadian national scenario paintball organization CSPO (google it). Sailing is my new hobby it takes away from my paintball time a lot I havent been out in a long time.

The riot control rounds are hard solid plastic. They arent cheap, about $25 per 100. Paintballgear.ca sells them, I think there are some restrictions on purchase. I managed to get some as a gift, in CSPO's heyday I would get gifts like that from people all the time, samples, etc.

Frozen paintballs are kind of an old wives tale. If you freeze a paintball, the shell becomes ultra brittle, and it will crack and explode before it leaves the barrel. That's why there are winter paintballs (frostbite) and powderballs (a paintball with a powdery chalk inside with a wax shell, designed by a Canadian in northern Ontario who was sick of poorly performing rounds in the freezing cold, they can be frozen in water, thawed out and dried off and shoot just fine).

Interesting. The guy I saw shoot frozen balls said the trick was to put them in the freezer just long enough to make them harder than normal, but not long enough to freeze them solid. Those balls chewed up old plywood bunkers in a very impressive fashion. I will have to look in to winter paintballs/powderballs, we usually play a couple of winter games up in the mountains in deep snow and have had loads of technical difficulties doing it. But it's so much fun we go anyway, although it kind of unbalances things in favor of those of us who have better equipment. I'm sure you know co2 doesn't work well in snow, so the guys who still run that are at a disadvantage. I run compressed air on a big remote and have much less trouble. We always take a case of Tyvek suits from the boatyard up for snow games, they make perfect camo with the hood up, and after you get plastered a few times you can grab a new one.
The RC rounds cops use around here are CS gas or pepperspray. They fire rubber bullets out of real guns. The chemical rounds are very popular with prison guards in the US, many cells have a port built in to the door for the guards to fire into the cell from. Ouch!
So did you guys get some big scenario's going in your heyday? Biggest I've been to was about 2500 people in Montana. It was a blast, but it's been years since I've gone to one...
Old 05-10-2012, 10:47   #40

Tsawassen Paintball in Vancouver does some big games, 3-5 per year, about 400-500 people. For many of them I was the commander of the blue team. Organizing 250 paintballers in a battle like that takes a lot of work. Havent been to a bigger game than that myself but I have flown all over Canada representing the CSPO (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec)

Biggest thing we ever got going was a cash woodsball tournament. We paid out thousands in cash per game. Gotta get that series up and running again, there's nothing like it out there. All the tournaments are laddered, which sucks and if a team gets knocked out early they blew a lot of money in entry fees. Our format paid out cash throughout the game, so even if a team sucks they still get to play all day because everyone is on the field at the same time, and nobody is sitting on the sidelines if they dont want to be.

I've heard of the pepperballs, but for obvious reasons those are highly restricted. I think they were originally created as bear deterrent.

If you play in the snow I would definitely take a look at Powderballs. Even winter rounds will degrade in that kind of environment when you're playing outlaw (not at a commercial field) because there's water and snow everywhere and you cant really escape it, everything will end up wet and damp. Only the powderballs can take that kind of abuse and still work great. Dual the velocity down to about 270 though. They hurt pretty good at close range.

For the guys still stuck on Co2 what I've seen that works like a charm is to get a remote and a tank pouch, and take a bunch of those glove warmers that you shake to start them heating and use a little duct tape to surround the tank with them. They usually last a few hours and it will keep the tank warm enough to keep shooting even in sub zero conditions. Dont overdo the duct tape though, you have to take it off to change the glove warmers if they run out of juice.
Old 05-10-2012, 11:05   #41
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Tsawassen Paintball in Vancouver does some big games, 3-5 per year, about 400-500 people. For many of them I was the commander of the blue team. Organizing 250 paintballers in a battle like that takes a lot of work. Havent been to a bigger game than that myself but I have flown all over Canada representing the CSPO (Alberta, Ontario, Quebec)

Biggest thing we ever got going was a cash woodsball tournament. We paid out thousands in cash per game. Gotta get that series up and running again, there's nothing like it out there. All the tournaments are laddered, which sucks and if a team gets knocked out early they blew a lot of money in entry fees. Our format paid out cash throughout the game, so even if a team sucks they still get to play all day because everyone is on the field at the same time, and nobody is sitting on the sidelines if they dont want to be.

I've heard of the pepperballs, but for obvious reasons those are highly restricted. I think they were originally created as bear deterrent.

If you play in the snow I would definitely take a look at Powderballs. Even winter rounds will degrade in that kind of environment when you're playing outlaw (not at a commercial field) because there's water and snow everywhere and you cant really escape it, everything will end up wet and damp. Only the powderballs can take that kind of abuse and still work great. Dual the velocity down to about 270 though. They hurt pretty good at close range.

For the guys still stuck on Co2 what I've seen that works like a charm is to get a remote and a tank pouch, and take a bunch of those glove warmers that you shake to start them heating and use a little duct tape to surround the tank with them. They usually last a few hours and it will keep the tank warm enough to keep shooting even in sub zero conditions. Dont overdo the duct tape though, you have to take it off to change the glove warmers if they run out of juice.

Thanks for the pointers. We have been doing the hand warmers since the second snow game, it helps but rapid fire still causes problems. We pretty much all use camo neoprene tank sleeves, and just slip them inside those. When you are playing serious rebel woods ball, creeping around with a metal remote tank that makes little "ting" noises every time it hits something is foolish. We really enjoy outlaw play, it lets us do all sorts of things that would never be allowed on a field. Like night games, homemade paintball nades and land mines, etc. etc. Plus we usually have a BBQ and drink some brews afterwords. And we are all adults, no annoying paint wiping cheaters like on the fields.
Years ago when I had a much smaller boat we got together a weekend of sailing paintball, it was awesome. My boat was a 32' cutter, his was a 28' sloop, we each had about half a dozen crew. We set up some surgical tubing catapults attached to the spreaders to shoot water balloons for "cannon" and had some great fun racing and bombarding each other, then took turns doing dinghy landings on a hostile beach at night. Would never do that with my present boat!
If we want to chat PB some more we should probably take it to PM, instead of hogging up Hummingway's thread, though he doesn't seem to mind...