Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-01-2017, 11:40   #1

My New (To Me) Boat

So far I have taken sailing lessons at St Pete Yacht Club and then I found this cat on CL in pretty decent shape.

So far I have replaced some of the shrouds and lines, patched up all the sails, and sailed it 3 times. The last time was last weekend where the winds were gusting up to 30mph when the storms/cold front came through. That was quite a handful and it took me forever to get in, lol!!

I realize this is not the same as a cruising yacht, but at least it is a start and I'm trying to learn all I can about sailing.

Anyway, I have officially started on my 5 year plan to get on the water full time!! The next step is a 30'-35' I can cruise around FL.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20161231_120836.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	409.1 KB
ID:	140135   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20170102_135141.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	410.0 KB
ID:	140136  

Byrdman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 11:59   #2

Boat: Bristol 27
Re: My New (To Me) Boat

Hobie 16's are great boats to learn sailing on.

I had two of them, then a Nacra 6.0, and then a Nacra F-17 and raced them all.

The Hobie 16 is raced all over the world. Racing fine tunes your sailing skills

135,000 Hobie 16's have been built and sold as of 2013. They can hit speeds of about 25 knots on a reach. Replacement sails and parts are available almost anywhere

http://sailboatdata.com/viewrecord.asp?class_id=3852

Check out how low the booms are on these Hobie 16's racing:

thomm225 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:22   #3

Boat: Boatless

Welcome, I started on a Hobie 16 and 30 years later, after a Pacific crossing, I am on a 55 in New Zealand.

It is just one step further on a regular basis until you go from the 16 to crossing oceans.

Good luck and when we get back to our home in Miami we can sail together!

"Remember, experience only means that you screw-up less often."
s/v Moondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 12:35   #4

Boat: Laguna, windrose 25

Welcome to CF. And like the others I to started on a cat (6 m G-cat). 30 yrs later learning on a 25 ft. And soon a nice cruiser. Perhaps Ill see you down in FLA also.

Good Luck and good sailing.

Joel
Joel E Felt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-01-2017, 13:30   #5

Thanks for all the encouragement!! I look forward to learning as much as I can and then joining the ranks when the time comes!!

Thanks again!
Old 25-01-2017, 13:31   #6
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Bristol 45.5

Excellent boat !

I had a Hobie 16 many years ago and really enjoyed it , watch that lee hull , keep her nose out of the water . If you capsize her and you have crew with you , have them sit on your shoulders and then both of you lean back with the jib sheet, you may have better luck uprighting the boat that way .

Enjoy

Regards John Tully
Typhoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:47   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Thanks for all the encouragement!! I look forward to learning as much as I can and then joining the ranks when the time comes!!

Thanks again!

(Pssst - you already joined our ranks - you love boats and sailing - looking forward to your posts!)
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 08:55   #8

Boat: Gulf 32

Perfect choice for first boat, those things are fun as all get out (it's where my wife and I started), easy to manage (no centerboards, kick up rudders) and - very importantly if you're planning to move up eventually - you will learn WAY more about moving under sail on that boat much quicker than you would on a bigger boat.

A few tips from my rusty memories of fun and thrashing on our H16:
1) As mentioned above, yes side to side balance is important but on these relatively low buoyancy hulls fore-aft balance is very important... too far forward and you bury the bows and capsize, too far backward and you do this trippy little pirouette on the sterns... and capsize.
2) The rudders are pretty good for this size boat so be gentle with your course corrections, especially in lighter winds... these are great light air boats (you can get home on a whisper if the wind dies on you) but they don't have a lot of momentum, so if you crank the rudders hard over you run the risk of just coming to a stop instead of gliding through a tack.
3) Learn how to backwind your jib to stop from getting stuck in irons when tacking in lighter (or really heavy) conditions.
4) It looks like from your pictures you have a single reef set up in your main sail, if so well done, we never did (didn't really know any better) and knowing what I know now I wish we had... we never had much luck sailing main only so when the wind piped up it would have been nice to have jib and reefed main.
5) Oh yeah, remember to put the drain plugs in before launching

Have fun!

-- Bass
Old 26-01-2017, 10:15   #9

Thanks for all the suggestions! Even though I have only gone out 3 times, I have learned something each time. Last Saturday with the cold front coming through, I learned 30mph with gusts are too much for my level of experience for now.

I did reef it two of the times I went out. The first time I took it out, and last weekend. Both times I only used the mainsail, and it was super difficult to tack without the jib.

Bass, I will be learning to backwind the jib because in higher winds and choppy water, I failed every time but once with only the mainsail. The one time it did work, the wind direction seemed to shift while going through the tack(luckily). Most of the times I had to jibe and it was fast and pretty stressful.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend!!

Byrdman
Old 26-01-2017, 12:53   #10

Just by the way sailing is easy seamanship is hard experience you may think you are ready when you learn to sail but seamanship that is qiute different and where lots of people give up but yes you have started well and good luck and dont give up and learn to enjoy it alone ...john
baycruiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 13:40   #11

Boat: Hunter 1993 33.5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Byrdman View Post
Thanks for all the suggestions! Even though I have only gone out 3 times, I have learned something each time. Last Saturday with the cold front coming through, I learned 30mph with gusts are too much for my level of experience for now.

I did reef it two of the times I went out. The first time I took it out, and last weekend. Both times I only used the mainsail, and it was super difficult to tack without the jib.

Bass, I will be learning to backwind the jib because in higher winds and choppy water, I failed every time but once with only the mainsail. The one time it did work, the wind direction seemed to shift while going through the tack(luckily). Most of the times I had to jibe and it was fast and pretty stressful.

Hopefully I can get out this weekend!!

Byrdman
I learned to sail on a Hobie 14, which didn't have a jib. The trick to tacking without getting caught in the irons on such a light boat (especially if you don't have a jib) is to stay as far back as possible on the trampoline and only move over to the "new" windward side at the last minute. This way your weight provides a pivot point to turn around and you get through the wind quickly.

BUT, it is pretty critical not to stay there once you've gone through the wind. If you do, you will capsize. The difference between a smart tack and a capsize is measured in fractions of a second... Also do not pussy foot around with the tiller. Once you decide to tack, push that baby all the way over immediately and keep it there till you jump across to the other side.

It's not hard, it takes a little practice but the Hobie is such a sweet, responsive vessel that you will quickly start feeling part of her. I sailed my little Hobie for about 8 years and only capsized once.

In light air I still sometimes had to do a 3 point turn to get through the wind: Once caught in the irons, push your boom into the wind, backing your main, keep your rudders straight, wait until you have a reasonable amount of way and then smartly push/pull your tiller so you swing your transoms opposite of the direction you want to sail, let go of your boom and bam, you're on your way.

I used to say that sailing a Hobie is like driving a Formula 1 racing car. Everything happens instantly and at high speed. Wonderful!
Old 26-01-2017, 13:46   #12

Boat: Currently in between

Quote:
Originally Posted by redhead View Post
(Pssst - you already joined our ranks - you love boats and sailing - looking forward to your posts!)
Redhead is right!
Old 26-01-2017, 14:28   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeGe View Post
I learned to sail on a Hobie 14, which didn't have a jib. The trick to tacking without getting caught in the irons on such a light boat (especially if you don't have a jib) is to stay as far back as possible on the trampoline and only move over to the "new" windward side at the last minute. This way your weight provides a pivot point to turn around and you get through the wind quickly.

BUT, it is pretty critical not to stay there once you've gone through the wind. If you do, you will capsize. The difference between a smart tack and a capsize is measured in fractions of a second... Also do not pussy foot around with the tiller. Once you decide to tack, push that baby all the way over immediately and keep it there till you jump across to the other side.

It's not hard, it takes a little practice but the Hobie is such a sweet, responsive vessel that you will quickly start feeling part of her. I sailed my little Hobie for about 8 years and only capsized once.

In light air I still sometimes had to do a 3 point turn to get through the wind: Once caught in the irons, push your boom into the wind, backing your main, keep your rudders straight, wait until you have a reasonable amount of way and then smartly push/pull your tiller so you swing your transoms opposite of the direction you want to sail, let go of your boom and bam, you're on your way.

I used to say that sailing a Hobie is like driving a Formula 1 racing car. Everything happens instantly and at high speed. Wonderful!
And don't forget if caught in irons, you can always backup a bit and turn the bows across the wind, then go forward.

As far as a Hobie 16 being a race car, it's quite the jalopy these days with the F series beach cats which can point 20 degrees are more closer to the wind that the 16 and has a spinnaker and the A class boats

Hobie 16 though is the right starter beachcat.

F-16

F-17

Another good Hobie 16 video. And again, check the boom height that they are at these days. Racers anyway

Old 26-01-2017, 15:11   #14

Boat: Island Packet 32

When I decided I wanted to learn to sail, a friend had a Thistle for sale, so I told him I wanted to buy it. He said "you can't start on a Thistle, they take a lot of finesse...get a Hobie Cat...they're fun, colorful and women love them." He was right. I joined a fleet and raced all over the SE. And women do love them, it was a great first date! It doesn't cost anything, you will show her a great time AND you get to see them in a bathing suit before you decide if you want a second. That was 40 years and 2 wives and 3 boats ago.
CaptRory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-01-2017, 15:39   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptRory View Post
When I decided I wanted to learn to sail, a friend had a Thistle for sale, so I told him I wanted to buy it. He said "you can't start on a Thistle, they take a lot of finesse...get a Hobie Cat...they're fun, colorful and women love them." He was right. I joined a fleet and raced all over the SE. And women do love them, it was a great first date! It doesn't cost anything, you will show her a great time AND you get to see them in a bathing suit before you decide if you want a second. That was 40 years and 2 wives and 3 boats ago.
You hit the nail on the head................40 years ago.

The beach cat scene these days is nowhere near the thing you remember

Tags
boat